Is road cycling dangerous?

CAMPYBOB said:
I often see runners going with traffic (not good), but I only rarely see cyclists going against the flow of traffic.
Where I live, I see an equal amount of people going with and against traffic. I've also noticed that at least 60-70% of riders I see don't wear helmets. I was driving at 5:30 pm yesterday and the glare from the sun is really bad then this time of year. This teenage boy was riding with no shirt, no helmet on a road where people easily do 60-70 mph(speed limit is 55). I'm honestly surprised that there aren't more cycling accidents.

Well...you saw the smashed windsheild in the second report I posted. I got to think even great-grandma saw the impact mark.

Now, if we were talking about her ability to see the hood ornament 6' in front of her? Probably gonna be a 'No!' on that one.

This afternoon I was out knocking back a 31-miler and blasting up a small hill towards an even smaller little 'burg. What did I see over on the left side of the county chip & seal craptastic road? Also headed up the hill?

On the 'wrong' side of the road...with cars sailing blindly over the crest of the hill at them...were a runner (doing it right) accompanied by his buddy on a mountain bike (doing it way, way wrong!) out more towards the centerline of the road.

I didn't even muttter or shake my head. I just pounded over the top in the 53x19 and didn't look back.

In my opinion road cycling is dangerous and it is hard to avoid it since in my city there are very few lanes for bicycles. However, in bigger roads it is even more dangerous since those big trucks are passing you at 50 mph and they don't always give you enough room.

Trial before a single judge.

The convicted man maintains that he is innocent, saying he was not driving on Tukholmankatu during the incident. His car showed no signs of the collision, so the case against him relied solely on the accounts of several eyewitnesses, all of whom were heard in court proceedings during the month of September.

I mean, there's crime everywhere, but they don't have the choking volume of cases that we do now. Years ago, it was very common for people to be charged with murder, tried, convicted, sentenced to death, have their sentence upheld on appeal, and be executed in 12-18 months, soup to nuts.

Yes it does not work that way these day. I had one a few years back that went on for 17 years due the a summary judgment that was overturned on appeal. That was a civil case of course.

I think I witnessed today how easily a biker can get hit riding on the wrong side of the road. Leaving work at 5:30 on an already busy street, Friday rush hour, rain....A biker riding on the wrong side of the road.If two cars are in front of you, you cannot see the biker until he/she is right in front of your wheel. I can see a scenario where a distracted driver, size-able suv or truck clips one of these knuckleheads.

Here's the classic scenario of how someone gets hit by riding on the wrong side of the road. Driver is making a right turn out of a parking lot, driveway, or cross street, and the bike is approaching against traffic. The driver is looking to his left for a break in traffic. Because the last thing that he or she expects is a vehicle---and that's what a bicycle is, in almost every state---crossing in front of him heading the wrong way, he or she almost never looks right before pulling out. I'm the one guy in a hundred who does, because I'm a cyclist and I know there are morons out there riding on the wrong side of the road.

And you know who they are, for the most part? Middle aged or older guys, who lost their licenses due to an OUI (often several OUIs), with plastic bags hanging off the handlebars. And they're out there at night, too, dressed in dark clothes, no lights, riding into traffic. Often on their way home from the bar. :rolleyes:

...and Ohio claims another one of us.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news/oh-lorain/authorities-searching-for-suspect-in-hit-skip-that-left-bicyclist-dead-in-Elyria

ELYRIA, Ohio - A bicyclist is dead after authorities say he was struck by a car in a hit-skip.

Get breaking news sent to your inbox — click here to sign up.

Authorities said the bicyclist, identified as 70-year-old Charles A. Startup, of Oberlin, was traveling east on Butternut Ridge Road when he was struck from behind by a dark-colored Ford.

A witness told authorities that after the Ford struck the man, the car slowed down before leaving the scene “at a high rate of speed.”

Startup was flown from the scene to Cleveland MetroHealth Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news/oh-lorain/suspect-identified-in-fatal-lorain-county-hit-skip-well-known-oberlin-therapist-bicyclist-killed

Suspect identified in fatal Lorain County hit-skip; Well-known Oberlin therapist, bicyclist killed

By: newsnet5.com staff
Posted: 1:43 PM, Oct 13, 2015

Updated: 3:35 PM, Oct 13, 2015

charles-startup_1444679992943_25120956_ver1.0_900_675.jpg

CHARLIESTARTUP1_1444764408583_25157631_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

ELYRIA, Ohio - A 76-year-old man suspected of striking a 70-year-old bicyclist with his vehicle and fleeing the scene has been identified.
The Ohio State Highway Patrol said Ronald Dicenzo, 76, of Oberlin, was driving the 2014 Ford Focus that struck and killed Charles Startup, a well-known Oberlin cyclist and therapist.

Startup was traveling east on Butternut Ridge Road in New Russia Township Satruday when he was struck from behind by a dark-colored Ford.

A witness who saw the crash said that he believes the driver knew that he hit the cyclist.

"They slowed down and pulled over just slightly, then they turned back onto the road and took off," Joshua Perry said. "The driver absolutely knew that he had hit this gentleman."

Startup was flown from the scene to Cleveland MetroHealth Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Someone tipped investigators off to the vehicle, and troopers found it parked in front of Dicenzo's Tuesday, troopers said. Charges are pending and Dicenzo is cooperating with investigators, troopers added.

****...mowed down and left to die in the ditch. I would not do that to a dog I knew I had hit with my car.

We don't take responsibility for our mistakes, this is America and we will dodge the issues and blame someone else. Preferably a white, southern Christian.

I don't know the cyclist that was killed, but going by the touring pictures posted on the web, the man was a very experienced cyclist.

I know the road he was killed on can be a busy, high traffic count area. It's on the edge of several Cleveland burbs...semi-rural, but still a very developed area.

There is no excuse for drilling a cyclist and fleeing. That's a felony and worthy of a pistol whipping.

Cleveland and Cuyahoga County are notorious for hit-skips. Pedestrians...cars...motorcycles...it makes no difference. They kill and flee like it was a sport and somebody was keeping score.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news/oh-summit/friends-and-neighbors-express-disbelief-over-murder-of-60-year-old-akron-bicyclist-mr-mike

AKRON, Ohio - Akron Police are asking for help in finding out who killed a 60-year-old man riding his bike early Saturday morning.

“Our detectives at this point don't have any eyewitnesses," said Lt. Rick Edwards of the Akron Police Department. "But someone should know something in this area.”

Officers heard shots fired near the intersection of Cole Avenue and Moore Street around 1:30 Saturday morning and soon after found Michael Finney lying on the ground.

Friends and family of Finney said his killing does not make sense.

“He would never hurt a fly, nicest guy in the world, such a positive attitude," said Nage Jabbour, who knew Finney for the past 30 years and oftentimes employed him to do side jobs.

"Everyone knew him," said Spencer Fowler, Finney's neighbor. "He will be missed."

Finney is remembered as a vibrant man who loved to ride bikes and wash and detail cars for others. Neighbors said they often called him "Mr. Mike."

“My heart is deeply touched by the fact of his death, and it was senseless," added Fowler.

Family and friends said Finney's son was fatally shot in the same neighborhood 22 years ago.

Anyone with information on this case is encouraged to call Summit County Crime Stoppers at 330-434-COPS.

"Man high on heroin who struck, killed bicyclist convicted of second-degree murder"

Is it just me (English isn't my first language), or there's something wrong with the English of this title?