Is there anything unusual about this screw sticking out of my rear derailleur?

jojoma

Sep 7, 2007
Let me first say that I am a novice with bike mechanics. I just got my bike tuned, and was looking at the RD, and noticed a bolt sticking out. See it in the pic. Is that a big deal? Is that normal? The RD seems to be working okay.

Thanks

2317218873_3865414e1c.jpg

jojoma said:
Let me first say that I am a novice with bike mechanics. I just got my bike tuned, and was looking at the RD, and noticed a bolt sticking out. See it in the pic. Is that a big deal? Is that normal? The RD seems to be working okay.

Thanks

Bottom adjustment screw limits the inward stroke of the RD. If it is too loose it could allow the chain to be pulled into the spokes. You can test it yourself by carefully shifting to the largest rear cog and then pulling on a bare portion of the RD cable to see if the stop is doing it's job or if the chain wants to go further in.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/t...001/SI_5VG0C_001_En_v1_m56577569830616226.pdf

Describes the Ultegra 6600 RD adjustments.

jojoma said:

Thanks

Thats the B adjustment screw. it controls the body angle of the deraileur. Dont worry about it sticking out further than the other adjustment screws that is very normal, if you screwed it all the way in you would have a big gap between your cassette and the top pulley on your deraileur.

ride4him said:
Thats the B adjustment screw. it controls the body angle of the deraileur. Dont worry about it sticking out further than the other adjustment screws that is very normal, if you screwed it all the way in you would have a big gap between your cassette and the top pulley on your deraileur.
I was guessing about which screw was of concern.... I see what you are talking about and it is a more obvious choice following the OP's description.