Just a rant/ no more guilt

artemidorus

Mar 10, 2004
Today I went to my LBS and asked about a bottom bracket. "Certainly", he said, ",I think we have those in stock, I'll just look up the price. Oh, sorry, we're out, we can have one in on Tuesday. I'll knock a little off the price since you're a regular customer".

Well, actually, no - it went more like this:
"We don't have a pricelist for those. I can't ring Shimano now since it's the weekend".
Me: "what about your other shop - haven't they got a lot of spares?"
"Yeah, they do - you'd better go there and ask."
Shop owner chimes in: "Yeah, you'd better go and ask them - they do all the repairs" (it's 2 suburbs away, and I'm on foot, carrying a baby)

Translation: "F*** off and go and use the Internet!!"

I'm actually grateful to them, as the twinge of guilt I feel using probikekit has evaporated completely. Mail order, here I come, baby!
If my LBS is only interested in fitting out the local population with low-end MTBs and hybrids, stuff them.

its interesting that when bikeshops manage to get into the plural ownership how much they forget how they got there

im still a fan of shops overall

i remember once when there was a bicycle shop in bexley they had staff like that guy its the biker mentality creeping through unfortunately lbs owners sometimes dont know when to switch between customer focus and total ********

art man you should take a deep breath and then cycle out

just think julia roberts from pretty women

excuse me do you remeber me

no

i came in about a week ago and you wouldnt serve me

you work on commission right

yes

big mistake huge

sorrry i think i need to stop watching romy and michelles high school reunion

An observation (just coz I have nothing better to do :) ) when you look at the thread title in the list of threads, the tail of the "g" is obscured by the underlining, so it looks like "Just a rant/ no more quilt" :p

Back to the topic at hand, a very similar experience is the reason we go to a bike shop 10km further away than our nearest shop (which is already a 25km drive). If you can't be bothered helping me, I can't be bothered spending money in your shop.

Well you're paying and you're the boss.. your business goes where your money goes. I say don't support that shop... infact we should start a thread indicating all the "notorious" bike shops... maybe these guys will hear about it and next time we go to the LBS... we can say, "Hi i'm from cyclingforums... have you got some good service coming my way?"

The really sad part is, unfortunately, good service from any shop, not just the LBS, is becoming the exception rather than the 'norm'. I was recently quite amazed to find a business that went out of it's way to help me out, even when there wasn't really a lot (other than goodwill) in 'it' for them. I had 2 sales reps & the service manager tracking down a HRM for me that had gone 'astray'.....such an awesome response to my problem that I emailed the 'boss' congratulating him on his staff. FWIW, it was 'pursuit performance' in Adelaide, the Polar distributor in Aus.

Hi artemidorus

Out of curiosity where was the bike shop located? I still like to go into a store every now and again but must confess that 99% of my bike parts shopping is online. Depends on the item but most times it's what i'm after. Even clothing isn't too much of a drama (particularly when it's a brand you know and therefore know what their sizing is like).
Most of my experiences in local bike stores are pretty ****. So far there's only been one on Sydney's North Shore i've been happy with service-wise (Cranks at North Sydney). Haven't had the feeling of being condescended to nor been ignored. Must be a plus in this day and age! Mind you, I haven't been to all the shops on this side of the harbour but the several i've visited have left a bad (and lasting) impression.

Sounds like King St Cyclery in Newtown to me. They have opened up a repair center in Marrickville. They are also notoriously hopeless.

When I first decided to buy a bike I spent 15 minutes in there looking at every bike, a little overwhelmed by it all. After that I left and went somewhere else.

kakman said:
c'mon, toss up a suburb... the curiosity is killing me
Let's be positive - shops I have had recent pleasant dealings with include:
Cheeky Monkey, both locations.
City Bike Depot.
Maroubra Cycles.
Pedal Pushers.

artemidorus said:
Let's be positive - shops I have had recent pleasant dealings with include:
Cheeky Monkey, both locations.
City Bike Depot.
Maroubra Cycles.
Pedal Pushers.
Cheeky Monkey are going to be in Newtown soon too :)

DamianM said:
Sounds like King St Cyclery in Newtown to me...
I went in there when on holiday once. I was on the look out for a heart rate monitor. Excuse my naive questions, I was new to the sport.

Having never used one before I asked how it worked and the bloke said "Umm, there's a sensor in the watch that feels your wrist....." - It was one with the usual chest strap.

I also asked "Does this one measure kilometres?" (I know, I should have known but was very much a newbie) He said "Yes it does" - No, it didn't.

I bought it under false pretences and was very disappointed when I got home some $139 later :mad:

yes, that is quit shitty service. Cheeky Monkey I would agree, Adam has hooked me up in the past, great guys there.

The best bike shops I have ever frequented are the ones where I've had the best relationship with the owners/people by riding with them and being social outside the shop with them.

Of course, you have to get ast that, "I'm just sucking up to you" type thing but if you become mates with them, it all works out so much easier. I hardly ever shop on-line now as I get decent deals through the shop and I also help promote them a bit by wearing their gear on rides.

matagi said:
An observation (just coz I have nothing better to do :) ) when you look at the thread title in the list of threads, the tail of the "g" is obscured by the underlining, so it looks like "Just a rant/ no more quilt" :p
The fight for the bedcovers is a completely different issue...

There are a lot of stores that quite simply couldn't be bothered doing the work. I really don't see why it is hard to offer decent service and good prices. Too complacent and rich I think.

i think hte fact is there not rich at all

you usually find that teh owner is in to cycling and has done this for the love which is a mistake i believe

also a lot of service employees have little or no expertise (this of coyurse is not the case everywhere)

but i found that im happy at my fav shops

citilink cycles at haberfield

concord sports store at concord

Trust me if you are not making many sales you make an effort to keep your customers happy and get more of them.

Good service is easy. Anyone who does not provide it doesn't want to, and therefore probably doesn't have to.

The people who do it for the "love of cycling" are usually the best, so long as they are not snobs.

Jeytown said:
i think hte fact is there not rich at all

you usually find that teh owner is in to cycling and has done this for the love which is a mistake i believe

also a lot of service employees have little or no expertise (this of coyurse is not the case everywhere)

but i found that im happy at my fav shops

citilink cycles at haberfield

concord sports store at concord

you become your own boss for two reasons i believe

1. you believe you can do better with your life
2. your experiences in life will be an advantage in your new undertaking
in this case cycling.

however you must weigh that up with am i going to make money off this adventure

no use selling something if you cant make money off it

i find that if you love something it is the wrong reason to be in your own buisness and when the people who do that find that there is not much of a margin really in this buisness they quickly fall out of love

but in saying that you do have to have passion for sure