Kevlar Tires for Felt X City 3

brianl86

Dec 2, 2013
I live in Chicago and have to deal with some pretty lousy street conditions, such as shards of glass. I've been through a few flats in the past couple months because of this and was looking into my options. It sounds like tire liners are not the best choice so i'm looking into upgrading my tires.

The current tires that I have are city continental 37-622 (28 x 1 3/8 x 1 5/8), printed on sidewall. I am having a pretty difficult time looking for tires that have the 37mm width in kevlar that are not super pricey (gatorskins for example). What are my best options and could I get away with a different width besides 37 or is it generally recommended to stay with the same size?

I'm also open to options that aren't kevlar.

I'd recommend that you look at one of the versions of Schwalbe's Marathon tires. They're known for standing up to what ugly streets can dish out.

I didn't think that those tires came in 37-622 (700x37) and that's why I asked about the different sizes. I think those are in 38 though. I mostly looked on amazon.

EDIT: My apologies, I couldn't read the fine print on my rims. I have the MAVIC A317 Disc and it list tires of 28 and 37 but I don't think it's max or minimums. Am I less likely to get flats the lower I go? I'm not sure whether I would like the 35mm or the 38mm. It looks like if I go to 32mm, I can get the gatorskins.

brianl86 said:
I didn't think that those tires came in 37-622 (700x37) and that's why I asked about the different sizes. I think those are in 38 though. I mostly looked on amazon.
A 38 will fit fine on your bike.

thank you for your help. I updated my last reply with additional information. I'm now stuck on what size to get. I would like the smaller faster wheel, but not if it's more prone to puncture. I'm pretty good about avoiding things on the road so it's mostly just smaller shards of glass and thorns that I want to protect against.

I was looking into the regular marathon tires as it appears that the marathon plus offers a little more protection but at reduced speed overall. The models above this are getting a little pricey and since it's my first dive into this level tire, i'm not sure if it'll make a difference to go that high up the quality scale.