Know what really pisses me off?

ryan_velo.

Dec 20, 2004
Yellow ribbons, red white & blue ribbons that say support our troops, god bless America, god bless our troops, I love the USA, & my favorite: 'These colors don't run'. These colors don't run, WHAT KIND OF REDNECK IGNORANT ******** IS THAT! I'm out riding my bike on a nice day, it feels good to be out riding again. And I see about 100 or so cars with those ****** things on them it makes me want to slap someone. Do you think this 'ribbon revenue' go's to our troops? No, but these magnet ribbon producing bastards seem to be making a lot of $$$$. If you really support our troops, then you write them letters & send them gifts & money. It's so ****ing gay, some redneck jack off who buy those precious little magnets to put on their vanity vehicles. Big trucks & behemoth SUVs. It makes me sick. I guess they support our troops, who are occupying a sovereign nation, killing thousands of civilians and guarding the oil fields, which we are taking from them. Then they waste all of this fuel on their vehicles. Oh yea we are 'liberating' them right? ********! It's imperialistic ********. Know what else I'm sick of, these little wrist bands. It started out with the livestrong. I thought it was pretty cool, so I ordered 20. Now I don't even wear it to school or out in public. I only wear it with my cycling kit. I see all of these that say 'freedom', 'faith', & again: support our troops. And every one's wearing them now. I think it's ****ing gay. The only reason I don’t ride my bike down the srteet & throw the ****** thing into the river is because it actually go's to cancer research. And I've had it all summer. It's kind of senemental. You understand. Any way, it's just a piece of rubber. When I got it I didn't expect it to be a fad. Now it's just gay. **** em'. **** em' all, Ky. pisses me off..........:mad:

These colours don't run !

I despair for you and people like you, having to tolerate these fads.

Your country is a great nation - majority of your people are the nicest people you could ever meet.
But I agree, this business of having a wristband for this political cause, or that charity, seems pretty gawdy.
Reminds me of the fad with ribbons some years back.
I blame the likes of Oprah Winfrey and the rest of the media over there for giving this sort of stuff coverage.
You can be sure if these so-called celebrities refused to endorse these things that they'd never get off the ground.

If people are being charitable - why do they need to tell the world about their
"charity" ?

As regards Iraq, well that open sore continues, doesn't it ?
Over this side of the world Mr Bliar is being exposed - tonight a letter from the Attorney General's Office has been leaked which shows that the legal advice for the war was manipulated.
Slowly but surely Bliar is being exposed.

I don't suppose you will have this kind of accountability in your country under the current regime.
Which is a shame - because your country deserves better.

I agree w/ you wholeheartedly. If you want to support our troops drive a compact or hybrid car a**hole. Better yet, join the military instead of spending $2.99 (U.S.) to put a yellow magnetized ribbon on your $50,000, 15 mpg, gas guzzling, SUV jack-off :mad: I want to "key" everyone of those vanity vehicles I see. F**kers :D

ryan_velo. said:
And I see about 100 or so cars with those ****** things on them it makes me want to slap someone. :mad:
i like you ryan, your choice of phrase is class.

for a lot of people they think that if you dont support the war then that is somehow unamerican or unpatriotic. Bush has done a great job in convincing peope of this and resticting the ability of the american public to think freely and express thier own opinion. Freedom of speech is one of the great things about america but this has been severely compromised under bush.

your country is going to the dogs and like Lims says, i feel sorry for you ryan having to put up with this ******** day in and day out. If it happened here i would be slapping people left, right and center.

Now we're feeling sorry for people who have to put up with the "********" of seeing ribbons and harmless bracelets on peoples' cars and wrists? Jeez, lighten up! Some of you guys need some stress counseling. Who cares who wants to spend 3 dollars (or so) on a ribbon for their car? Believe it or not, there is a purpose for the "support the troops" ribbons besides money.

Feel what you want about the Iraq war and related issues. You are more than entitled to and you shouldn't repress it. M'Pro, exactly when, based on your expert opinion, did we Americans become so "oppressed" by our current leadership that we are not entitled to speak out and still feel patriotic? Not sure where that comes from. People are speaking out all over the place and still consider themselves quite American. In fact, I daresay speaking out against certain things is more a "fad" that people are proud of right now than wearing silly wristbands (although I will agree the wristband thing is a little out of control).

I'm not poking fun at anybody's political standing or taking light of your arguments, but am surprised how "doomsday" some have become about literally EVERYTHING? You're all worked up about ribbons on cars? Come on man, channel your energy to something more productive. I have a ribbon on my car, and it is in support of my countless good friends and tens of thousands of other countrymen making sacrifices to serve their country in a hostile environment right now - ragardless of the cause. Simple. No more no less. I don't even know where my 3 dollars went, nor do I care. I have a ribbon as a sign of support, that's all. And it DOES make a difference to them when they come home and see all those signs of support that are evidently so plaguing your life. If you don't like them, don't get one, but don't be so self-serving as to think that the absence of them means more to you than their presence means to those they are meant for.

And enough about the SUV thing! I highly doubt there is any correlation between the type of car one drives and whether or not there is a ribbon on it. In fact, I'm sure there are ribbons on plenty of hybrids out there, to include those that belong to the same people that race around the world on private and chartered jets...

roadhog said:
M'Pro, .... "oppressed" ...
i dont believe i used the term "oppressed". check the post, re-assess and get back to me.
i do remember anyone calling a freedom fry a french fry was deemed unpatriotic. Its ridiculous, i know, but still true.

same applies here.

roadhog said:
Now we're feeling sorry for people who have to put up with the "********" of seeing ribbons and harmless bracelets on peoples' cars and wrists? Jeez, lighten up! Some of you guys need some stress counseling. Who cares who wants to spend 3 dollars (or so) on a ribbon for their car? Believe it or not, there is a purpose for the "support the troops" ribbons besides money.

Feel what you want about the Iraq war and related issues. You are more than entitled to and you shouldn't repress it. M'Pro, exactly when, based on your expert opinion, did we Americans become so "oppressed" by our current leadership that we are not entitled to speak out and still feel patriotic? Not sure where that comes from. People are speaking out all over the place and still consider themselves quite American. In fact, I daresay speaking out against certain things is more a "fad" that people are proud of right now than wearing silly wristbands (although I will agree the wristband thing is a little out of control).

I'm not poking fun at anybody's political standing or taking light of your arguments, but am surprised how "doomsday" some have become about literally EVERYTHING? You're all worked up about ribbons on cars? Come on man, channel your energy to something more productive. I have a ribbon on my car, and it is in support of my countless good friends and tens of thousands of other countrymen making sacrifices to serve their country in a hostile environment right now - ragardless of the cause. Simple. No more no less. I don't even know where my 3 dollars went, nor do I care. I have a ribbon as a sign of support, that's all. And it DOES make a difference to them when they come home and see all those signs of support that are evidently so plaguing your life. If you don't like them, don't get one, but don't be so self-serving as to think that the absence of them means more to you than their presence means to those they are meant for.

And enough about the SUV thing! I highly doubt there is any correlation between the type of car one drives and whether or not there is a ribbon on it. In fact, I'm sure there are ribbons on plenty of hybrids out there, to include those that belong to the same people that race around the world on private and chartered jets...
Very level-headed post which, by the way, has no place here :rolleyes: If one REALLY wants to support the troops, in my opinion, send prepaid phone cards, give to a certified charity or lobby you're congressmen to hold someone accountable for this "Abyss of a war". Displaying yellow flags for a premeditated war of agression (See Lims thread on recent British developements) doesn't impress me especially when the vehicle has a big "W" sticker on the other side. This war, aside from being for bush jr's ego is all about having plentiful petroleum for SUV's/NASCAR. "Red state" stuff. :mad:

Sign of the times, folks--I doubt even those who sport the ribbons would deny it's as much about staking territory in a polarized climate as it is about real support for anyone. Those ribbons are, at least in part, a way of saying "this is where I stand, punk;" folks on both sides of the spectrum do it.

The more polarized an issue becomes, the more flags you'll see planted in the dirt.

MountainPro said:
i dont believe i used the term "oppressed". check the post, re-assess and get back to me.
i do remember anyone calling a freedom fry a french fry was deemed unpatriotic. Its ridiculous, i know, but still true.

same applies here.
Your are correct - you did not use the word "oppressed" and I did not intend to make it look like you did, but I could have expressed my sentence better. I do apologize if it looks like I was quoting you. I was not. You did, however, state that our leadership has convinced us somehow that we are not free to express our opinion, or that we are to feel unpatriotic if we do. That, my friend, is not the case. As I said, everyone is expressing their opinion and still feels quite American. In fact, I bet those like ryan_velo will argue that they feel MORE American than the people he obviously despises.

About the french fries. That is all silliness. I guarantee that McDonald's employees at the time did not blink when a person ordered "french fries". Although I was living in Germany at the time so I can't promise that is true. I don't think many rational people really took any of that seriously except to serve as an amusing news article.

And to whoever said the ribbons are about a political stance.... There is something very basic about supporting your nation's military. It has nothing to do with politics. My ribbon says nothing about who I voted for or what I think of our foreign policy. It only says that I support the troops and their sacrifice. This is a volunteer military we have, and one way to keep it so is to ensure they are genuinely appreciated, AND to make sure they know it. Simple as that. Go key someone else's car -- maybe that guy that shows up on the red carpet in his prius, preaches about Bush-hating, and then flies around in his private jet.

roadhog said:

I'd just like to know why do you feel compelled to buy and display a $3
trinket ?
I really don't understand why people feel the need to display these tokens.
I cannot see how driving round with a ribbon in a car 10,000 miles away, can possibly benefit troops in Iraq.

Is it the herd mentality ?
Everyone else has one - so I'd better get one 'cause I won't be like the rest ?

This need to display ones political or charitable cause, publicly, makes no sense to me.
Maybe you could tell us why you feel the need to have yer ribbon on display ?

Am I really wrong in stating that we wouldn't see so many ribbons if the central issue--say, the war--weren't particularly devisive at present?

"Issue ribbons" aren't about support. They're a passive form of debate. Which is fine, I suppose, if occasionally annoying.

lokstah said:
Am I really wrong in stating that we wouldn't see so many ribbons if the central issue--say, the war--weren't particularly devisive at present?

"Issue ribbons" aren't about support. They're a passive form of debate. Which is fine, I suppose, if occasionally annoying.

But why do people feel the need to wear a yellow/blue/red/black/multicoloured
wristbands/ribbons ?

Why do people feel the need to publicise their political/charitable view, publicly ?

limerickman said:
wristbands/ribbons ?

Why do people feel the need to publicise their political/charitable view, publicly ?
Why do people feel the need to post their opinions on a website? It probably makes them feel better.

Colorado Ryder said:
Why do people feel the need to post their opinions on a website? It probably makes them feel better.

There is a difference.

The interaction within a website is not tangible in the physical sense.

Whereas walking/driving in public displaying these ribbons/wristbands is tangible.

So I ask the question :
wristbands/ribbons ?

limerickman said:
wristbands/ribbons ?

I think there's a subtle "battle mentality" in doing so. The full intent is to offer a "high five" to fellow devotees--a sort of a passive bonding rite--and a quiet challenge to those who might oppose your cause. The "W'04" bumper stickers I see in San Francisco give off a natural aura of get used to me, hippies; a Ralph Nader decal at a Nascar event says something similar (replace hippies with rednecks or facists).

As I said earlier, I think this all points to a particularly polarized climate; where there's a great deal of harmony and agreement, I don't think people feel as stimulated to telegraph their political statements while they drive.

We're contentious creatures, we humans.

limerickman said:
I'd just like to know why do you feel compelled to buy and display a $3
trinket ?
I really don't understand why people feel the need to display these tokens.
I cannot see how driving round with a ribbon in a car 10,000 miles away, can possibly benefit troops in Iraq.

Is it the herd mentality ?
Everyone else has one - so I'd better get one 'cause I won't be like the rest ?

This need to display ones political or charitable cause, publicly, makes no sense to me.
Maybe you could tell us why you feel the need to have yer ribbon on display ?
At the following web site: http://www.jvegas.com/Songs.TieYellowRibbn.html
you will find the lyrics to an old song from the WWII era (I believe I have the era correct, but may be wrong and it was WWI??). The song is the origin of the American tradition of tying a yellow ribbon around a tree to support our soldiers deployed to combat. The actual meaning in the song is clear if you read the words (about a young man writing to his sweetheart with instructions to tie a yellow ribbon around a tree if she still wants him so when he returns from war he will know that if he doesn't see the ribbon he should not stop in, etc, etc.). The modern meaning is a little different but still symbolic of the support the displayer has in their heart for the soldiers away from home. As recently as the Persian Gulf war, there were actual ribbons around trees in everyone's front yard, and the tradition is to not remove it until your specific loved one has returned. In present day, the tradition is the same but has become most visible in the form of of the yellow magnet on vehicles, although you do still see some ribbons on trees, particularly in the yards of the families of soldiers.

Thus, as it is INTENDED, it has NOTHING to do with political stance. It has NOTHING to do with a debate, it has NOTHING to do with money, or who may or may not be making money off the damn things. It is about displaying support and solidarity with the troops. Nothing more, nothing less. As an American, debate over political decisions and foreign policy, etc, is healthy and necessary for the process to work. Debate over support for the troops is an entirely different story, however, and in my opinion not forgiveable.

I am not speaking for any tradition other than the American yellow ribbon tradition for soldiers. I don't know about all the other trinkets or bracelets or whatever that you may be refering to. This tradition is simple and meaningful and has nothing to do with politics or personal beliefs other than a show of support for our soldiers and a hope of their safe return.

lokstah said:
I think there's a subtle "battle mentality" in doing so. The full intent is to offer a "high five" to fellow devotees--a sort of a passive bonding rite--and a quiet challenge to those who might oppose your cause. The "W'04" bumper stickers I see in San Francisco give off a natural aura of get used to me, hippies; a Ralph Nader decal at a Nascar event says something similar (replace hippies with rednecks or facists).

As I said earlier, I think this all points to a particularly polarized climate; where there's a great deal of harmony and agreement, I don't think people feel as stimulated to telegraph their political statements while they drive.

We're contentious creatures, we humans.
The only sticker I have on my car is a "Veterans for Kerry" sticker. It is my protest for the "rigged" election & his previous "appointment" to office by Antonin Scalia :rolleyes: When I see a "W" sticker, it always seems to be on an expensive car. Never see one on an older vehicle. It conveys to me "Hey-I'm relatively if not obscenely well-off financially or I'm a Protestant Evangelical & oh yeah-I'm, 9 times out of 10, white.

davidmc said:
...Displaying yellow flags for a premeditated war of agression (See Lims thread on recent British developements) doesn't impress me especially when the vehicle has a big "W" sticker on the other side. This war, aside from being for bush jr's ego is all about having plentiful petroleum for SUV's/NASCAR. "Red state" stuff. :mad:
Yellow ribbons, as they are INTENDED, have NOTHING to do with support or lack of support for the war. They have EVERYTHING to do with supporting YOUR country men and women who volunteer to make incredible sacrifices WHENEVER they are called to do so, and by doing so let YOU enjoy many many things that I won't elaborate on at the risk of sounding cliche. See my response to L'man's question if you previously didn't understand what the yellow ribbon meant.

I guess maybe the joke is on me here because I thought it was common knowlege what the ribbon was all about, but I am evidently wrong (not the first time of course).:rolleyes: The ribbon is not divisive and not about taking a side.

roadhog said:
Yellow ribbons, as they are INTENDED, have NOTHING to do with support or lack of support for the war. They have EVERYTHING to do with supporting YOUR country men and women who volunteer to make incredible sacrifices WHENEVER they are called to do so, and by doing so let YOU enjoy many many things that I won't elaborate on at the risk of sounding cliche. See my response to L'man's question if you previously didn't understand what the yellow ribbon meant.

I guess maybe the joke is on me here because I thought it was common knowlege what the ribbon was all about, but I am evidently wrong (not the first time of course).:rolleyes: The ribbon is not divisive and not about taking a side.
I agree w/ you but, my contention is that the preponderance of the ribbons "least @ these parts'" are displayed on SUV's, [JEEPS (expensive, larger variety) HUMMERS], Benz's, ect... Seems like a justification for their conspicious consumption under a banner of patriotism to me.