Know what really pisses me off?

Ahhhh, the reconcilliation of cyclists. Reds, Blues and Greens (I'm of a Teal political bend myself); so long as we prefer two wheels, we can find ways to communicate with civillity. Gentlemen, a toast to you all, and good night.

:)

lokstah said:
Ahhhh, the reconcilliation of cyclists. Reds, Blues and Greens (I'm of a Teal political bend myself); so long as we prefer two wheels, we can find ways to communicate with civillity. Gentlemen, a toast to you all, and good night.

:)
Oh no you don't !!! I get the last word in :rolleyes: Night' all. :)

limerickman said:
I'd just like to know why do you feel compelled to buy and display a $3
trinket ?
I really don't understand why people feel the need to display these tokens.
I cannot see how driving round with a ribbon in a car 10,000 miles away, can possibly benefit troops in Iraq.

Is it the herd mentality ?
Everyone else has one - so I'd better get one 'cause I won't be like the rest ?

This need to display ones political or charitable cause, publicly, makes no sense to me.
Maybe you could tell us why you feel the need to have yer ribbon on display ?

Well here is my take Lim.
I believe people like to identify with symbols,a team jersey,tatoos or maybe an internet avitar or bumber stickers.
I believe it is somewhat of an extention of who they are or who they would like to be or viewed as.
I personally have none on my vehicle but have considered a Look bicycle sticker.
Call me a wild man. Well....that is my take on the matter of course I see it as a freedom of expression of individuals and I hope we can hold on to that freedom no matter how irritating it might get.
Express yourself ,just don't get offended if I don't display the same ribbon or sticker as you.

jhuskey said:
Well here is my take Lim.
I believe people like to identify with symbols,a team jersey,tatoos or maybe an internet avitar or bumber stickers.
I believe it is somewhat of an extention of who they are or who they would like to be or viewed as.
I personally have none on my vehicle but have considered a Look bicycle sticker.
Call me a wild man. Well....that is my take on the matter of course I see it as a freedom of expression of individuals and I hope we can hold on to that freedom no matter how irritating it might get.
Express yourself ,just don't get offended if I don't display the same ribbon or sticker as you.

You wild man, you !
A LOOK sticker on your car - that's pushing the boat out !

I was curious as to why people have these bands/ribbons.
Personally I don't wear any of these items.
I suppose I could be scorned for wearing a Bianchi jersey while cycling but
at least I am wearing a jersey for functionality.

I don't feel offended or obliged by the fact that others wear ribbons/bands.
But I am curious as to why other people do so.

limerickman said:
You wild man, you !
A LOOK sticker on your car - that's pushing the boat out !

I was curious as to why people have these bands/ribbons.
Personally I don't wear any of these items.
I suppose I could be scorned for wearing a Bianchi jersey while cycling but
at least I am wearing a jersey for functionality.

I don't feel offended or obliged by the fact that others wear ribbons/bands.
But I am curious as to why other people do so.

I believe the are just trying to identify with someone or something. We all want to belong.

jhuskey said:
I believe the are just trying to identify with someone or something. We all want to belong.
Quite true, tough I have a different reason for wearing my anti-Bush/war t-shirts. I don't want to fit in with the rest. I'm not trying to identify with someone or something, only showing my dislike for George Bush. I guess it could 'define me', but I do that through words not a t-shirt. But I generaly agree with you on that.

ryan_velo. said:
Quite true, tough I have a different reason for wearing my anti-Bush/war t-shirts. I don't want to fit in with the rest. I'm not trying to identify with someone or something, only showing my dislike for George Bush. I guess it could 'define me', but I do that through words not a t-shirt. But I generaly agree with you on that.
I am the same. I don't share the "herd mentality". I took a nationally recognized personality test & came out to be in the minority group twice !!! I like to think of my self as being objective-"The facts maam, just the facts" If a majority of the people approve of something I will dissapprove & vice-versa regardless of the topic at hand. Statistically I am the favorite because nothing is resolved from the outset on any contentious subject. I proud to say that I get my marching orders from Maureen Dowd:
OP-ED COLUMNIST
DeLay, Deny and Demagogue
By MAUREEN DOWD

Published: March 24, 2005

Oh my God, we really are in a theocracy.

Are the Republicans so obsessed with maintaining control over all branches of government, and are the Democrats so emasculated about not having any power, that they are willing to turn the nation into a wholly owned subsidiary of the church?

The more dogma-driven activists, self-perpetuating pols and ratings-crazed broadcast media prattle about "faith," the less we honor the credo that a person's relationship with God should remain a private matter.

As the Bush White House desperately maneuvers in Iraq to prevent the new government from being run according to the dictates of religious fundamentalists, it desperately maneuvers here to pander to religious fundamentalists who want to dictate how the government should be run.

Maybe President Bush should spend less time preaching about spreading democracy around the world and more time worrying about our deteriorating democracy.

Even some Republicans seemed appalled at this latest illustration of Nietzsche's observation that "morality is the best of all devices for leading mankind by the nose."

As Christopher Shays, one of five House Republicans who voted against the bill to allow the Terri Schiavo case to be snatched from Florida state jurisdiction and moved to federal court, put it: "This Republican Party of Lincoln has become a party of theocracy. There are going to be repercussions from this vote."

A CBS News poll yesterday found that 82 percent of the public was opposed to Congress and the president intervening in this case; 74 percent thought it was all about politics.

The president, who couldn't be dragged outdoors to talk about the more than a hundred thousand people who died in the horrific tsunami, was willing to be dragged out of bed to sign a bill about one woman his base had fixated on. But with the new polls, the White House seemed to shrink back a bit.

The scene on Capitol Hill this past week has been almost as absurdly macabre as the movie "Weekend at Bernie's," with Tom DeLay and Bill Frist propping up between them this poor woman in a vegetative state to indulge their own political agendas. Mr. DeLay, the poster child for ethical abuse, wanted to show that he is still a favorite of conservatives. Dr. Frist thinks he can ace out Jeb Bush to be 44, even though he has become a laughingstock by trying to rediagnose Ms. Schiavo's condition by video.

As one disgusted Times reader suggested in an e-mail: "Americans ought to send Bill Frist their requests: 'Dear Dr. Frist: Please watch the enclosed video and tell us if that mole on my mother's cheek is cancer. Does she need surgery?' "

Jeb, keeping up with the '08 competition, vainly tried to get Florida to declare Ms. Schiavo a ward of the state.

Republicans easily abandon their cherished principles of individual privacy and states' rights when their personal ambitions come into play. The first time they snatched a case out of a Florida state court to give to a federal court, it was Bush v. Gore. This time, it's Bush v. Constitution.

While Senate Democrats like Hillary Clinton, who are trying to curry favor with red staters, meekly allowed the shameful legislation to be enacted, at least some Floridian House members decided to put up a fight, though they knew they couldn't win.

The president and his ideological partners don't believe in separation of powers. They just believe in their own power. First they tried to circumvent the Florida courts; now they're trying to pack the federal bench with trustworthy conservatives and even blow up the filibuster rule. But they may yet learn a lesson on checks and balances, as the federal courts rebuffed them in the Schiavo case.

Mr. DeLay moved yesterday to file a friend of the court brief with the Supreme Court asking that Ms. Schiavo's feeding tube be restored while the federal court is deciding what to do. But as he exploits this one sad case, Mr. DeLay has voted to slash Medicaid by $15 billion, denying money to care for poor people in nursing homes, some on feeding tubes.

Mr. DeLay made his personal stake clear at a conference last Friday organized by the Family Research Council, a conservative Christian group. He said that God had brought Terri Schiavo's struggle to the forefront "to help elevate the visibility of what is going on in America." He defined that as "attacks against the conservative movement, against me and against many others."

So it's not about her crisis at all. It's about his crisis.

ryan_velo. said:

If I recall you stating your age in an earlier thread and you are probably not old enough to remember the multitude of "baby on board" signs in cars.
Those irritated the hell out of me,I guess because I never understood the signifigance.
I once asked someone, why? The response was that you should be careful around those vehicles because they are carrying an infant.
So I responded that I should get one that read no baby was on board so..... ram the hell out of me.
Anyway those little signs spawned a sea of additional "on board' signs.

A low point in the history of auto-paraphernalia.
Kinda like "rock & roll and the 70's, a low point.

jhuskey said:
If I recall you stating your age in an earlier thread and you are probably not old enough to remember the multitude of "baby on board" signs in cars.
Those irritated the hell out of me,I guess because I never understood the signifigance.
I once asked someone, why? The response was that you should be careful around those vehicles because they are carrying an infant.
So I responded that I should get one that read no baby was on board so..... ram the hell out of me.
Anyway those little signs spawned a sea of additional "on board' signs.

A low point in the history of auto-paraphernalia.
Kinda like "rock & roll and the 70's, a low point.
I used to think that those 'Baby on Board' signs/stickers were there to say 'Look aren't I clever. I'm a Mummy/Daddy'. Don't see too many these days. perhaps the Social Services have put their children into care.

FredC said:
I used to think that those 'Baby on Board' signs/stickers were there to say 'Look aren't I clever. I'm a Mummy/Daddy'. Don't see too many these days. perhaps the Social Services have put their children into care.

Believe me it doesn't take a genius to become a parent.To become a good parent is a different issue.
It does take a bit of planning and common sense to "not become a parent".
"Social Services" I like that one!

I was shocked to hear that many 18 year old kids have been killed in Iraq and this is very sad. I agree wholeheartedly with what Kerry had to say about the foolishness of sacrificing lives in a ground campaign. But for someone of 18 years old to lose his life in Iraq seems like a sad waste so, sometimes, I guess you have to stop and think about these realities. There may well be folks out there who have to come to terms with losing a son or family member and there's even a house on my street that was decked out in wreathes. I'm sure that when those of us who oppose this war express our views, it must be tough on people who have actually been involved in it. I mean, we peaceniks have to appreciate that those who fought in Iraq believed they were serving a worthy cause and were certainly brave enough to stand up for their beliefs so I figure that certainly deserves more respect than some phoney selling of flags.
I do blame the troops who sadistically abused POWs over in Iraq but I don't blame the troops who were acting out of good faith and believed what the politicians told them. And, sure, I county myself lucky I don't have to risk life and limb in a hostile country.

ryan_velo. said:
Yellow ribbons, red white & blue ribbons that say support our troops, god bless America, god bless our troops, I love the USA, & my favorite: 'These colors don't run'. These colors don't run, WHAT KIND OF REDNECK IGNORANT ******** IS THAT! I'm out riding my bike on a nice day, it feels good to be out riding again. And I see about 100 or so cars with those ****** things on them it makes me want to slap someone. Do you think this 'ribbon revenue' go's to our troops? No, but these magnet ribbon producing bastards seem to be making a lot of $$$$. If you really support our troops, then you write them letters & send them gifts & money. It's so ****ing gay, some redneck jack off who buy those precious little magnets to put on their vanity vehicles. Big trucks & behemoth SUVs. It makes me sick. I guess they support our troops, who are occupying a sovereign nation, killing thousands of civilians and guarding the oil fields, which we are taking from them. Then they waste all of this fuel on their vehicles. Oh yea we are 'liberating' them right? ********! It's imperialistic ********. Know what else I'm sick of, these little wrist bands. It started out with the livestrong. I thought it was pretty cool, so I ordered 20. Now I don't even wear it to school or out in public. I only wear it with my cycling kit. I see all of these that say 'freedom', 'faith', & again: support our troops. And every one's wearing them now. I think it's ****ing gay. The only reason I don’t ride my bike down the srteet & throw the ****** thing into the river is because it actually go's to cancer research. And I've had it all summer. It's kind of senemental. You understand. Any way, it's just a piece of rubber. When I got it I didn't expect it to be a fad. Now it's just gay. **** em'. **** em' all, Ky. pisses me off..........:mad:

When someone says "God bless you" after I sneeze or they say "Do you want me to pray for you?" oh & let's not forget those particularly fascist oriented, country songs that came about after 9-11.

That was insightful and made me laugh so much! Great to let it all out some days... True also! :)

Sneezing + "god bless you" I say "Thank you, but I prefer gesundheit."

"BABY ON BOARD" signs These stupid things used to come standard with child car seats - buy a boooster, get a sign. People put them in the window without thinking, not because they thought it would do any good.

ryan_velo. said:
Yellow ribbons, red white & blue ribbons that say support our troops, god bless America, god bless our troops, I love the USA, & my favorite: 'These colors don't run'. These colors don't run, WHAT KIND OF REDNECK IGNORANT ******** IS THAT! I'm out riding my bike on a nice day, it feels good to be out riding again. And I see about 100 or so cars with those ****** things on them it makes me want to slap someone. Do you think this 'ribbon revenue' go's to our troops? No, but these magnet ribbon producing bastards seem to be making a lot of $$$$. If you really support our troops, then you write them letters & send them gifts & money. It's so ****ing gay, some redneck jack off who buy those precious little magnets to put on their vanity vehicles. Big trucks & behemoth SUVs. It makes me sick. I guess they support our troops, who are occupying a sovereign nation, killing thousands of civilians and guarding the oil fields, which we are taking from them. Then they waste all of this fuel on their vehicles. Oh yea we are 'liberating' them right? ********! It's imperialistic ********. Know what else I'm sick of, these little wrist bands. It started out with the livestrong. I thought it was pretty cool, so I ordered 20. Now I don't even wear it to school or out in public. I only wear it with my cycling kit. I see all of these that say 'freedom', 'faith', & again: support our troops. And every one's wearing them now. I think it's ****ing gay. The only reason I don’t ride my bike down the srteet & throw the ****** thing into the river is because it actually go's to cancer research. And I've had it all summer. It's kind of senemental. You understand. Any way, it's just a piece of rubber. When I got it I didn't expect it to be a fad. Now it's just gay. **** em'. **** em' all, Ky. pisses me off..........:mad:

Glad to see you are ****** off. And people will keep displaying them just so you will remain ******.

Weisse Luft said:
Glad to see you are ****** off. And people will keep displaying them just so you will remain ******.
Just cirous, what gets you really ****** off Wess?

DiabloScott said:
Sneezing + "god bless you" I say "Thank you, but I prefer gesundheit."

"BABY ON BOARD" signs These stupid things used to come standard with child car seats - buy a boooster, get a sign. People put them in the window without thinking, not because they thought it would do any good.

Without thinking! Me-thinks you have come upon a clue!