Lake district routes anyone?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Doesnotcompute, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. Got a friend coming to stay (preston) and she wants to go for a spin in the lakes..... anyone got a
    favourite route they care to share?

    Nothing too strenuous and steep, but a combination of on and off road would be nice.

    Early april by the way so I hope the weather is okay!

    Thanks for any replies.

    Dnc (Gary Fisher Joshua Z0)

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    doesnotcompute <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Got a friend coming to stay (preston) and she wants to go for a spin in the lakes..... anyone got
    > a favourite route they care to share?
    >
    > Nothing too strenuous and steep, but a combination of on and off road would be nice.

    Skiddaw Loop. http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=20

    You'll probably need to push some bits but its a fabulous ride

    Tony
    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  3. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] family.com says...
    > doesnotcompute <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Got a friend coming to stay (preston) and she wants to go for a spin in the lakes..... anyone
    > > got a favourite route they care to share?
    > >
    > > Nothing too strenuous and steep, but a combination of on and off road would be nice.
    > >

    > Skiddaw Loop. http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=20
    >
    > You'll probably need to push some bits but its a fabulous ride
    >
    > Tony
    > --
    > http://www.raven-family.com

    Thanks! or at least until I looked it up!

    walk up is a killer and the descent is mental - beginners will hate it! Trail Length: 9 miles
    (Estimated), 4 1/2 miles to top (Estimated), with 2745 meter's of climbing Trail Type: Off-road,
    DownHill, Uphill

    Hmmm. I appreciate it's probably fantastic, and I'll do it someday, but not this time. Thanks for
    the tip tho.....

    Anything a little less strenuous?

    Dnc

  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "doesnotcompute" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] family.com says...
    > > doesnotcompute <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > > Got a friend coming to stay (preston) and she wants to go for a spin
    in
    > > > the lakes..... anyone got a favourite route they care to share?
    > > >
    > > > Nothing too strenuous and steep, but a combination of on and off road would be nice.
    > > >

    > > Skiddaw Loop. http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=20
    > >
    > > You'll probably need to push some bits but its a fabulous ride
    > >
    > > Tony
    > > --
    > > http://www.raven-family.com
    > >

    > Thanks! or at least until I looked it up!

    > walk up is a killer and the descent is mental - beginners will hate it! Trail Length: 9 miles
    > (Estimated), 4 1/2 miles to top (Estimated), with 2745 meter's of climbing Trail Type: Off-road,
    > DownHill, Uphill
    >
    > Hmmm. I appreciate it's probably fantastic, and I'll do it someday, but not this time. Thanks for
    > the tip tho.....
    >
    > Anything a little less strenuous?
    >

    > Dnc
    ...er, do it in a 4x4 ?...... Dave. ;-)

  5. In article <[email protected]>, no- [email protected] says...

    > > Hmmm. I appreciate it's probably fantastic, and I'll do it someday, but not this time. Thanks
    > > for the tip tho.....
    > >
    > > Anything a little less strenuous?
    > >

    > > Dnc

    > ...er, do it in a 4x4 ?...... Dave. ;-)

    LOL! yes that is a possibility I suppose..... Now are 4x4's allowed on BW's and FP's ?

    hmm... thankfully not!

    Dnc

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    doesnotcompute <[email protected]> wrote:

    > LOL! yes that is a possibility I suppose..... Now are 4x4's allowed on BW's and FP's ?

    No, but neither are bicycles ;-)

    Tony
    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] family.com says...
    > doesnotcompute <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > LOL! yes that is a possibility I suppose..... Now are 4x4's allowed on BW's and FP's ?
    > >

    > No, but neither are bicycles ;-)
    >
    > Tony

    <sarcasm>

    *gasp* really? surely not? well I never!

    </sarcasm>

    Dnc

  8. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    If Skiddaw is a bit OTT, you could try the Ordnance Survey book on the Lakes, plenty of rideable
    routes in there. Alternatively drop in at Wheelbase in Stavely or one of the many shops in Ambleside
    or Keswick and ask their advice. There are quite a few route sheets of various levels of difficulty
    you can buy there.

    Tony
    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  9. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    Grizedale Forest, Tilberthwaite, Elterwater area for me.