Lazy question - bike for tall bloke

Hello people,

I'm six foot six with fairly long legs. I would like to start cycling
again but need a big bike, Anyone got any recommendations?

Cheers, Roger Melly.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> I'm six foot six with fairly long legs. I would like to start cycling
> again but need a big bike, Anyone got any recommendations?
>
> Cheers, Roger Melly.

I'm the same and ride a 63cm Cannondale frame. Some of the frames get a
bit flexy in the large sizes but the Cannondale, often accussed of being
stiff, if perfect in the large size IMO.

--
Tony

Anon

On 06/15/2005 20:24:09 [email protected] wrote:

> Hello people,

> I'm six foot six with fairly long legs. I would like to start cycling
> again but need a big bike, Anyone got any recommendations?

> Cheers, Roger Melly.

Just about any recumbent.

--

Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Thanks. I have an old mountain bike I rode when I was younger, but
haven't done so for the past ten years. From the bottom of the bit
where the pedals are fixed to the frame to the top of the bit where the
saddle post goes into is 61cm or thereabouts, and at handlebar hight,
the distance between the seat post and handlebars is 68cm or so. It is
this last bit which I think is the worst bit, I feel too crammed into
the bike, if you can understand that! I would like it to be longer I
suppose.
Cheers.

> What sort of cycling do you want to do?

Erm, well just arsing around really. Sorry to be very technical about
it. I used to have a mountain bike but never really went off road but I
never really fancied a racer type, they look a bit uncomfy for just
bumbling about. So just on road cruising I suppose.

Cheers.

[email protected] wrote:

> Ooh, I've never really wanted a go on them, always seemed a bit low to
> me. But thanks anyway.

What about one of the higher ones? That would seem to remove your
primary concern...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:13:28 +0100, <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thanks. I have an old mountain bike I rode when I was younger, but
> haven't done so for the past ten years. From the bottom of the bit
> where the pedals are fixed to the frame to the top of the bit where the
> saddle post goes into is 61cm or thereabouts, and at handlebar hight,
> the distance between the seat post and handlebars is 68cm or so. It is
> this last bit which I think is the worst bit, I feel too crammed into
> the bike, if you can understand that! I would like it to be longer I
> suppose.

The "correct" way to do this measurement (top tube length) is from the
middle of the seatpost to the middle of the head tube (where the forks
swivel), horizontally. I'm 6'2 and a bit, and reckon a 58cm top tube
is ideal for me, give or take. Offhand I don't think I've seen a top
tube much more than 60cm, but I haven't really been looking.

I assume your measurement includes the stem, which sounds like it's
already quite a long one, but you might be able to find a longer one
to increase the reach. You can also fit bar-ends, which allow you
to change position and stretch out a bit when you don't need access
to the brakes or gears.

--
jc

> Just about any recumbent.

Ooh, I've never really wanted a go on them, always seemed a bit low to
me. But thanks anyway.

And now you've opened the flood gates to 'but it's only teh same height as a car' etc etc :)

Anyway if you feel a bit cramped in the body/arms, then you need a new stem. it depending on the age of the bike you currently have, and whether it's fitted with a quil or threadless headset. However in either case it's a fairly trivial matter to change the stem. Take a look on wiggle, or any other shop web site, and you'll see plenty to chose from, starting fmro around a tenner. All you'l need to do is make sure you get one with longer reach than you already have.

Bryan

"Jeremy Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in

> The "correct" way to do this measurement (top tube length) is from the
> middle of the seatpost to the middle of the head tube (where the forks
> swivel), horizontally. I'm 6'2 and a bit, and reckon a 58cm top tube
> is ideal for me, give or take. Offhand I don't think I've seen a top
> tube much more than 60cm, but I haven't really been looking.

I recently bought a Giant Cypress SE with an XL (23") frame. This is
distinctly an entry-level bike that's heavy and suffers a lot of flexing.
However, the top tube length is 59cm from the centreline of the seat tube
to the centreline of the head tube. Perhaps a better-quality Giant would be
similarly sized?

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

in message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] ('[email protected]') wrote:

>> What sort of cycling do you want to do?

> Erm, well just arsing around really. Sorry to be very technical about
> it. I used to have a mountain bike but never really went off road but
> I never really fancied a racer type, they look a bit uncomfy for just
> bumbling about. So just on road cruising I suppose.

So you probably want a hybrid (flat bars, designed for road use). As
other people have said, Cannondale do good quality bikes in very large
sizes, but they aren't cheap. Their nicest hybrid is the Street
Rohloff, at about £2,300, but their entry level hybrids are around
£450.

[ This mind intentionally left blank ]

Thanks for the pointers everyone. I really am interested in getting
back into riding for pleasure (steady now...) so thanks again for your
help.

Roger melly.

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:32:57 +0100, Geoff Lane
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I recently bought a Giant Cypress SE with an XL (23") frame. This is
> distinctly an entry-level bike that's heavy and suffers a lot of flexing.
> However, the top tube length is 59cm from the centreline of the seat tube
> to the centreline of the head tube. Perhaps a better-quality Giant would
> be
> similarly sized?

Perhaps; I don't know much about Giant besides a mate's MTB and they
don't appear to publish their frame geometries on their website.

Their higher-end road bikes have a different frame geometry than the
entry-level ones, so I wouldn't rush to any assumtions.

--
jc