LBS frame work charge

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kbh, Mar 7, 2003.

  1. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    How much will a typical LBS charge for:

    A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)

    B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?

    Thanks,

    Kyle

    Tags:

  2. Harris

    Harris Guest

    KBH <[email protected]> wrote:
    > How much will a typical LBS charge for:

    > A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)

    About $20.

    > B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?

    I don't think the "typical" LBS could do this.

    Art Harris

  3. Ajames54™

    Ajames54™ Guest

    On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 13:54:44 GMT, Harris <[email protected]> wrote:

    >KBH <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> How much will a typical LBS charge for:
    >
    >> A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)
    >
    >About $20.
    >

    >> B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?
    >
    >I don't think the "typical" LBS could do this.
    >
    >Art Harris
    Agreed a typical LBS would only point you to a builder who did repairs .... when I had my shop all i
    would do was recommend (I would trust my own brazing if I was riding but would not give it to a
    customer and I was at one time pretty darn good at it).

    I think the $20 is a big under estimate, the guys I knew who did frame repair work (well) had
    minimum charges of $80 to $150.

  4. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    So maybe its not worth it to 'modernize' an old steel frame? I just want to put 7 spd bar-end
    shifters, and a rear derailer on an old Nishiki garage sale frame.

    "ajames54T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 13:54:44 GMT, Harris <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >KBH <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> How much will a typical LBS charge for:
    > >
    > >> A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)
    > >
    > >About $20.
    > >

    > >> B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?
    > >
    > >I don't think the "typical" LBS could do this.
    > >
    > >Art Harris
    > Agreed a typical LBS would only point you to a builder who did repairs .... when I had my shop all
    > i would do was recommend (I would trust my own brazing if I was riding but would not give it to a
    > customer and I was at one time pretty darn good at it).
    >
    > I think the $20 is a big under estimate, the guys I knew who did frame repair work (well) had
    > minimum charges of $80 to $150.

  5. kbh-<< How much will a typical LBS charge for:

    We charge-

    << A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)

    $35, includes a BB overhaul.

    << B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?

    Mark Nobilette charges $20 for this but I would rec. keeping a clampon fder.

  6. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    > kbh-<< How much will a typical LBS charge for:
    >
    > We charge-
    >

    > << A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)
    >
    > $35, includes a BB overhaul.
    >

    > << B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?
    >
    > Mark Nobilette charges $20 for this but I would rec. keeping a clampon
    fder.

    $20 for a rear hanger? Great. Yeah, I'll keep a clamp-on front.

    Kyle

  7. Harris

    Harris Guest

    ajames54™ <[email protected]> wrote:
    > <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >> A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)
    > >
    > >About $20.
    > >

    > I think the $20 is a big under estimate, the guys I knew who did frame repair work (well) had
    > minimum charges of $80 to $150.

    $150 to spread the rear dropouts? That really sounds steep. A small shop around here charged me $15
    (about three years ago) which I thought was quite a bargain.

    Art Harris

  8. Harris

    Harris Guest

    KBH <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > kbh-<< How much will a typical LBS charge for:
    > >
    > > We charge-
    > >

    > > << A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)
    > >
    > > $35, includes a BB overhaul.
    > >

    > > << B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?
    > >
    > > Mark Nobilette charges $20 for this but I would rec. keeping a clampon
    > fder.

    > $20 for a rear hanger? Great. Yeah, I'll keep a clamp-on front.

    I think what we had here was a failure to communicate. Peter's talking about brazing on a
    Front der tab.

    Art Harris

  9. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    So is there any other way to make an old frame more useful to me? I already have a singlespeed -
    this is going to be my "underbike" (7 spd barend shifters, fat tires, long reach brakes). I guess
    anything less than $100 for both jobs would be worth it. The cheapest equivalent frame I can get is
    probably a Surley Pacer for $400, and I think the lugged Nishiki I have is nicer.

    Kyle

    "KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > How much will a typical LBS charge for:
    >
    > A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)
    >
    > B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Kyle

  10. Ajames54™

    Ajames54™ Guest

    On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 16:06:02 GMT, Harris <[email protected]> wrote:

    >ajames54™ <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> >About $20.
    >> >

    >> I think the $20 is a big under estimate, the guys I knew who did frame repair work (well) had
    >> minimum charges of $80 to $150.
    >
    >$150 to spread the rear dropouts? That really sounds steep. A small shop around here charged me $15
    >(about three years ago) which I thought was quite a bargain.
    >
    >Art Harris
    Oh Christ! ... I must be getting dyslexic... I read respace as replace ... Yes $20 is reasonable

    My bad My apologies...

  11. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >The cheapest equivalent frame I can get is probably a Surley Pacer for $400, and I think the lugged
    >Nishiki I have is nicer.
    >
    >Kyle

    Consider a used frame for $100 as an option.

    Jon Isaacs

  12. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > kbh-<< How much will a typical LBS charge for:

    > We charge-

    "KBH"> << A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)

    "Peter"> $35, includes a BB overhaul.

    "KBH"> << B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?

    "Peter"> Mark Nobilette charges $20 for this but I would rec. keeping a clampon fder.

    I believe he meant a Campagnolo 80/1 rear derailleur hanger tab. Those are $20 plus $25 to install
    if there is no chrome in the way.

  13. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > >KBH <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> How much will a typical LBS charge for:
    > >> A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)

    > On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 13:54:44 GMT, Harris <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >About $20.

    "KBH"> >> B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?

    "Harris"> >I don't think the "typical" LBS could do this.

    "ajames54T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Agreed a typical LBS would only point you to a builder who did repairs .... when I had my shop all
    > i would do was recommend (I would trust my own brazing if I was riding but would not give it to a
    > customer and I was at one time pretty darn good at it).
    >
    > I think the $20 is a big under estimate, the guys I knew who did frame repair work (well) had
    > minimum charges of $80 to $150.

    Yikes! Can they get any volume waiting around for guys who will pay $80 for an alignment?

  14. Dave Johnson

    Dave Johnson Guest

    KBH On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 13:30:52 GMT wrote,

    >How much will a typical LBS charge for:
    >
    >A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)
    >

    >B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?

    Assuming you want to switch to a better derailleur, I'd look for a claw with threads rather
    than getting something brazed. Mine have come from thrift store bikes, don't know if shops
    carry them separate.
    --

    If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

  15. Java Man

    Java Man Guest

  16. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > KBH On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 13:30:52 GMT wrote,
    >
    > >How much will a typical LBS charge for:
    > >
    > >A) respacing rear droputs from 124 to 130 (old steel frame)
    > >B) brazing/welding on a derailleur hanger/tab?

    "Dave Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Assuming you want to switch to a better derailleur, I'd look for a claw with threads rather than
    > getting something brazed. Mine have come from thrift store bikes, don't know if shops carry them
    > separate.

    They are available for about five bucks but brazing in a hanger is pretty cheap ($40~$50 parts and
    labor) and is both stiffer and closer to the cassette besides looking better.

  17. Randal Lovelace

    Randal Lovelace New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2003
    $100 for a used frame, no...

    Paid $5.00 for a whole bike at a garage sale, Nishiki Sport in fair condition.

  18. Randal Lovelace

    Randal Lovelace New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2003
    Seems from the posted re:'s that your wanting a hanger tab for the front der., but you didn't specify front or rear, (and I have not head of a hanger for the front = I could just be ignorant however)

    The rear hanger tab is another story.....I would go to a well known welding shop for this, they will be able to duplicate the type of welds on the rest of the frame so that once painted it would be 'stock' looking. Also they will have the right equipment to drill and thread it for you.