Leipheimer doping

Bro Deal

Jun 26, 2006
The story going around several other sites is that Leipheimer tested positive for something at the elite national crit championship in 96. But no one seems to be able to pin down the exact story.

This is from comments on Bahati's site:

Reg, you may not notice how Levi rarely talks about doping and drugs in sport. Why do you think this is? In fact, when is the last time he has mentioned anything at all related to doping?

FACT: Levi has doped.

Many people don't know that Levi won the Elite National Criterium championships in 1996 when racing for Einstein Bagels. He tested positive after the race and had to forfeit the title. Interesting that Zabriske raced on that team them, also. Hmmmm.....He sure can time trial! Maybe it's just the altitude tent he sleeps in when home in Colorado.

RB, I'm with you on this one. Levi ain't clean. Never has been.

There has been some discussion on DP and Velonews' forum.

And talking about Bahati, boy did he get screwed at the ToC. He gets passed over for Hamilton, Sevilla, and Botero, and then they are prevented from starting.

I don't think the LetLeviRide supporters really care if he was once, or is, a doper.

Crankyfeet said:
I don't think the LetLeviRide supporters really care if he was once, or is, a doper.
why do they vehemently deny it then Crank :p

speaks volumes, when the subject is brought up, you have a goon squad saying Levi is a nice boy from next door and would never dope :D

ofcourse, this could be their MO like Armstrong's supporters, which, if have not dispersed, have usually folled to "America's team Astan, and lil Levi" :D

thunder said:
why do they vehemently deny it then Crank :p

speaks volumes, when the subject is brought up, you have a goon squad saying Levi is a nice boy from next door and would never dope :D

ofcourse, this could be their MO like Armstrong's supporters, which, if have not dispersed, have usually folled to "America's team Astan, and lil Levi" :D
What excuse do they give for the positive test and title forfeit that Bro posted?

Bro Deal said:
The story going around several other sites is that Leipheimer tested positive for something at the elite national crit championship in 96.
I've always had the impression that I remember him testing positive way back in the dark ages on the domestic scene when all they did was slap you on the wrist. I thought he might even have received a 6 month suspension.

But whenever I've tried to look it up, I can't find anything on the internet.

Wayne666 said:
I've always had the impression that I remember him testing positive way back in the dark ages on the domestic scene when all they did was slap you on the wrist. I thought he might even have received a 6 month suspension.

But whenever I've tried to look it up, I can't find anything on the internet.
Nobody seems to be able to pin down the exact story. You would think that one of the mainstream cycling new sites would have mentioned it in a story.

TheDarkLord said:
What excuse do they give for the positive test and title forfeit that Bro posted?
it is not known. Simple.

Who is gonna publish it now to bring it into the mainstream? Velonews? Perhaps they should. They got Rasmussen from about 6 years back. Is the fact that Leipheimer doped 10 years back valid to bring to the current debate. Perhaps only insofar as you get him in a contradiction.

I think most of the old timers on this board, knew about this. It is reasonably common knowledge among the informed cycling posters here.

Frigo's Luggage said:
Was that the amateur version or the Pro version?

Good ol' wikipedia has F. McCormack as the 1996 winner, but then again I don't remember an Einstein Cycling team so it was probably the amateur version?

leerobbs said:
Got anything in this century?
No ****. Show me something from Levi's TdF time trial win last year and it will matter. People on this board are like politicians going after an opponent's teenage drinking or something.

Bahati's page mentions the "elite" criterium championships. That term usually implies amatuer in the US. Usually category 1 or 2 but not pro.

No_Positives said:
No ****. Show me something from Levi's TdF time trial win last year and it will matter. People on this board are like politicians going after an opponent's teenage drinking or something.
Yeah...he was flying 10% faster than he has ever flown before, relative to everyone else. There's your evidence.

Dope tests don't capture well-doctored and smart dopers. If dope tests did catch them all, even half the time, no one would dope.