Lengthening Cateye Astrale 8 ?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by IanD, Mar 1, 2004.

1. IanD

IanD New Member

All,

I currently have a Cateye Astrale 8 which has both the speed/cadence pickups. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone has been able to lengthen the speed sensor monitor. The reason I am asking is because I would like to mount this sensor to my rear wheel in order to get speed and such when I'm on the trainer. I was about to cut the wire and see how many wires there are and solder the appropriate wires to extend but I thought I would ask first. Any and all info would be excellent.

Thanks,

Ian

Tags:

2. xxguitarist

xxguitarist New Member

havent tried it, probably doable though... first, i'd check if cateye supplies a replacement one in case something goes wrong, and also maybe they have an optional longer one for rear wheel?

3. daveornee

daveornee New Member

Ian,
    You can do it, but if you aren't used to soldering, insulation, strain relieving, and water proofing very fine wires; you can order a kit from a Cateye dealer that has a longer wire for just your purpose.
    "Answer: Bracket sensor kits with long wires are available. They are generally used to mount the speed sensor on the rear wheel. If you need to order one* you can call your local bike shop" from:
    http://www.cateye.com/faq.php?subject=com

4. Ted B

Ted B New Member

The Astrale 8 wiring kit sold currently is by default a long wire kit. Call Cateye (800-522-8393) and order one. At only ~$15 USD, it is a lot easier just to order it and be done with it than to waste time fiddling with splicing small wires, which probably won't hold up well anyway.