Locking up a racing bike

[email protected] wrote:
> BTW an opportunist bike thief can be stopped with a thin cable and
> quick-release-free-wheels.

Yup, though it requires some degree of throwing accuracy (depending how
far away he is). If you get a good solid shot at his head with the
wheel and knock him out it becomes much easier to tie his hands and feet
with the cable.

-dan

[email protected] wrote:
>> I'm looking for a solution to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
>> minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop.

> Take your bike with you to the shop. Stop doing business with the shop
> if they don't let you in with the bike.
>
> BTW an opportunist bike thief can be stopped with a thin cable and
> quick-release-free-wheels.

Yeah, if it's the grab and ride thief, rather than the grab and throw
into a pick-up truck thief.

The bottom line is that a cable lock can be cut in seconds with the
proper battery powered cutting tool.

I think the funniest thing I saw was Steve Smilanick of S&S Machining
lock up his bike by disassembling the frame, and putting the frame
triangle around a post, and reassembling the frame. While a thief might
be able to use very large vise-grips in place of the spanner tool, it'd
be difficult to get a grip, even if they figured out how the connectors
worked. Of course you still might want to use a cable lock around the
wheels, seat, etc.

So if the poster really doesn't want to carry a heavy lock, have S&S
torque couplers installed on the frame (round tubed steel, titanium or
carbon fiber frames only; aluminum frames can't be retrofit due to the
issues with aluminum).

the OP wanted to stop opportunits thiefs only. Which I understand is a
grab-and-go type.

I always take my bike with me wherever I go. Works for 90% of coffee
shops. Works for 100% of bike shops. The above two kind of shops cover
99% of shops I have a need to go to while riding a racing bike. Where
else would you need to go to anyway? A Prada?

> I always take my bike with me wherever I go. Works for 90% of coffee
> shops. Works for 100% of bike shops. The above two kind of shops cover
> 99% of shops I have a need to go to while riding a racing bike. Where
> else would you need to go to anyway? A Prada?

Pub.

Dave Larrington wrote:

> My chum Mr Hurt discourages minipikeys from making off with his
> machinery by attaching a small padlock either to the chainring of his
> fixer or the brake disc of his recumbent trike.

I've done that on a fixer but would worry about knacking up the brake
callipers.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

"Mark Thompson"
<pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
>> I always take my bike with me wherever I go. Works for 90% of coffee
>> shops. Works for 100% of bike shops. The above two kind of shops cover
>> 99% of shops I have a need to go to while riding a racing bike. Where
>> else would you need to go to anyway? A Prada?

> Pub.

I did that, during the day. Even right through a shopping mall. MTB there
in fact.
Hamburger stops too. A museum did not allow me because of the damage it
could cause and a theater probably wouldn't either.
But 98% of the time. I usually bring my lock just in case but it has not
been necessary.

AndyMorris wrote:

>Dave Larrington wrote:
>>
>> My chum Mr Hurt discourages minipikeys from making off with his
>> machinery by attaching a small padlock either to the chainring of his
>> fixer or the brake disc of his recumbent trike.

>I've done that on a fixer but would worry about knacking up the brake
>callipers.

Then you need one of those luminous bits of curly string that
motorcyclists use.
http://www.ultimatepursuits.co.uk/external/1/products/moreinfo/ULK340102.jpg

On Apr 30, 3:59 am, "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> My chum Mr Hurt discourages minipikeys from making off with his machinery by
> attaching a small padlock either to the chainring of his fixer or the brake
> disc of his recumbent trike.

We used to use some seriously heavy duty padlocks over the sprocket &
chain of our quads to deter opportunists while we ran into the store
to grab a drink & a snack, utilizing some tip we got out of an ATV
magazine. We were all quite happy wiht this system, until one day
someone forgot to undo the padlock. The quad didn't even miss a beat,
just a loud "ping" and a two-part padlock on the ground. After that,
we switched systems.

I suppose this would translate to bicycles better. I may have to give
it a go for my quick run-ins, as it'll at least be better than the
"hope & be quick (TM)" method I use now with the beater.

[email protected] wrote:
> the OP wanted to stop opportunits thiefs only. Which I understand is a
> grab-and-go type.
>
> I always take my bike with me wherever I go. Works for 90% of coffee
> shops. Works for 100% of bike shops. The above two kind of shops cover
> 99% of shops I have a need to go to while riding a racing bike. Where
> else would you need to go to anyway? A Prada?

This thread was x-posted to r.b.m and uk.rec.cycling, so I guess the OP is
in the UK.

In rural parts of Britain, even some urban areas, when you don't want to
visit a pub, often the only place to buy a quick drink & snack from is a
small convenience store or newsagents or petrol station (gas station).
There may be only *one* suitable shop (if that!).

I don't feel it's fair to the shopkeeper and other customers to take a bike
into small or crowded shops like these.

~PB

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.misc.]

On 2007-04-27, Niall Wallace <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:00:55 +0200, Andrew Price <[email protected]> may
>> have said:
>>
>>opportunistic thief, since too many of such itinerant acquisitors
>> carry at least a pair of dikes with them at all times.

> Why would a pair of lesbians be any use to an opportunistic bike theif? Or
> have i read that wrong?

You have read it wrong. A lesbian couple would be a pair of "dykes." A
pair of "dikes," on the other hand, are earthen embankments often used
to keep water out of places where it oughtn't be. In this context I
suspect the OP is referring to the privacy prodived by the embankments
in facilitating the theft.

--

John ([email protected])

In news:[email protected],
John Thompson <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:
> ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.misc.]
>
> On 2007-04-27, Niall Wallace <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> "Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:00:55 +0200, Andrew Price <[email protected]>
>>> may have said:
>>>
>>> opportunistic thief, since too many of such itinerant acquisitors
>>> carry at least a pair of dikes with them at all times.

>> Why would a pair of lesbians be any use to an opportunistic bike
>> theif? Or have i read that wrong?

> You have read it wrong. A lesbian couple would be a pair of "dykes." A
> pair of "dikes," on the other hand, are earthen embankments often used
> to keep water out of places where it oughtn't be. In this context I
> suspect the OP is referring to the privacy prodived by the embankments
> in facilitating the theft.

Those are "dykes" too, at least for BRITONS. Which rather begs the question
of what the little Dutch boy was doing with his (thank you - Ed.)

--
Dave Larrington
My liver is evil, and must be punished.

On Wed, 9 May 2007 08:22:29 +0100,
Dave Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:
> In news:[email protected],
> John Thompson <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
> us:
>> ["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.misc.]
>>
>> On 2007-04-27, Niall Wallace <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> You have read it wrong. A lesbian couple would be a pair of "dykes." A
>> pair of "dikes," on the other hand, are earthen embankments often used
>> to keep water out of places where it oughtn't be. In this context I
>> suspect the OP is referring to the privacy prodived by the embankments
>> in facilitating the theft.

> Those are "dykes" too, at least for BRITONS. Which rather begs the question
> of what the little Dutch boy was doing with his (thank you - Ed.)

No, not for me. Dykes are drainage ditches. But that is a peculiar
usage to the part of the country where I was bred and born.

--
Andy Leighton => [email protected]
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

In article <[email protected]>, Dave Larrington wrote:
>John Thompson <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
>us:
>>
>> You have read it wrong. A lesbian couple would be a pair of "dykes." A
>> pair of "dikes," on the other hand, are earthen embankments often used
>> to keep water out of places where it oughtn't be. In this context I
>> suspect the OP is referring to the privacy prodived by the embankments
>> in facilitating the theft.

>Those are "dykes" too, at least for BRITONS. Which rather begs the question
>of what the little Dutch boy was doing with his (thank you - Ed.)

Putting his finger in a hole. I believe photos of similar activities
are available on the interweb.

But Chambers (a BRITISH dictionary) lists "dike" as an alternative spelling.
There are Devil's Dikes as well as Devil's Dykes.
http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/features/chref/chref.py/main?query=dike&title=21st

(I've given up on "beg the question" as a lost cause.)

Alan Braggins wrote on 09/05/2007 13:20 +0100:

> But Chambers (a BRITISH dictionary) lists "dike" as an alternative
> spelling. There are Devil's Dikes as well as Devil's Dykes.
> http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/features/chref/chref.py/main?query=dike&title=21st

The OED concurs, both spellings are equivalent in all meanings

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Alan Braggins) writes:

|> But Chambers (a BRITISH dictionary) lists "dike" as an alternative spelling.

The OED doesn't even imply that one is primary - with either meaning.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.