Locking up a racing bike

Andrew Price wrote:
> I'm looking for a solution to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
> minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop - in
> other words, short term protection against opportunist theft, rather
> than determined thieves equipped with bolt cutters etc.
>
> I don't see the point in carrying a 1.5 kilo super Fort Knox U-lock on
> a bike weighing only 9 kilos - a determined thief with tools would
> eventually crack that, too, given enough time. Any recommendations
> for something lightweight but strong enough to resist sticky-fingered
> amateurs for a minute or so?

Look at the Master Python lock
("http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Extras/product_85923.shtml").

Lowes sells them for about $15.

It's a very useful lock in several ways, including securing items on
roof racks.

"Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:00:55 +0200, Andrew Price <[email protected]> may
> have said:
>
>opportunistic thief, since too many of such itinerant acquisitors
> carry at least a pair of dikes with them at all times.

Why would a pair of lesbians be any use to an opportunistic bike theif? Or
have i read that wrong?

Niall

have said:

>I'm looking for a solution to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
>minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop - in
>other words, short term protection against opportunist theft, rather
>than determined thieves equipped with bolt cutters etc.
>
>I don't see the point in carrying a 1.5 kilo super Fort Knox U-lock on
>a bike weighing only 9 kilos - a determined thief with tools would
>eventually crack that, too, given enough time. Any recommendations
>for something lightweight but strong enough to resist sticky-fingered
>amateurs for a minute or so?

I've had good luck so far in this area using a Kryptonite flat-key
u-lock. YMMV. I'm told that those are a one-way ticket to instant
pedestrian status in certain areas. Apparently, I haven't visited any
of them yet.

Direct experience indicates that a cable lock is no deterrent for even
an opportunistic thief, since too many of such itinerant acquisitors
carry at least a pair of dikes with them at all times. U-locks
require that the thief be carrying something that's unlikely to fit in
a pocket.

"Niall Wallace" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:00:55 +0200, Andrew Price <[email protected]> may
>> have said:
>>
>>opportunistic thief, since too many of such itinerant acquisitors
>> carry at least a pair of dikes with them at all times.

> Why would a pair of lesbians be any use to an opportunistic bike theif? Or
> have i read that wrong?

In this context, dikes (or dykes) == diagonal wire cutters.

But I guess a pair of lesbians could create a distraction
while the thief goes about his evildoings.

cheers,
Tom
--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Niall Wallace wrote:
> Why would a pair of lesbians be any use to an opportunistic bike theif? Or
> have i read that wrong?

It case this post is not in jest, dikes are the same as wire cutters.

But if it is in jest, I'm an ass.
\\paul

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 00:07:35 +0100, "Niall Wallace"
<[email protected]> may have said:

>"Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:00:55 +0200, Andrew Price <[email protected]> may
>> have said:
>>
>>opportunistic thief, since too many of such itinerant acquisitors
>> carry at least a pair of dikes with them at all times.

>Why would a pair of lesbians be any use to an opportunistic bike theif? Or
>have i read that wrong?

TTBOMK, those are "dykes", while the ones I named are a hand tool of
considerable utility.

"Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for a solution to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
> minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop - in
> other words, short term protection against opportunist theft, rather
> than determined thieves equipped with bolt cutters etc.
>
> I don't see the point in carrying a 1.5 kilo super Fort Knox U-lock on
> a bike weighing only 9 kilos - a determined thief with tools would
> eventually crack that, too, given enough time. Any recommendations
> for something lightweight but strong enough to resist sticky-fingered
> amateurs for a minute or so?

I'm using a Trek labelled Kryptonite push button spring loaded retractable
cable combination lock which weighs just a few ounces. It is easy to carry
along in a jersey pocket or a seat bag. Easy to defeat, but just enough of a
deterrent to keep "honest" folks honest for the minute or two that I might
leave the bike unattended. Definitely not good for high crime areas.

Similar locks are sold for securing laptops or sporting gear (skis).
Slightly more secure than the helmet straps which I sometimes used as a
lock, and I can also secure the helmet by running the locking cable through
a vent.

Here is the current model, "R4", from the Kryptonitelock.com website.
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1001&scid=1001&pid=1132

I almost built a home-made minimalist lock out of an old stainless steel
shift cable, ends looped and crimped, and a tiny padlock. The Kryptonite
lock was very inexpensive, under ten bucks at a swap meet.

Dave H.
=====

landotter <[email protected]> wrote:

>If you were in northern Europe some would say just get a bolt-on wheel
>lock--but then again, I've had a bike taken in Gothenburg with one of
>those. They might be ubiquitous, but they still suck.

so if N. Europe starts at Gothenberg, does that make Aberdeen in the
south ?

In article <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs wrote:
>Casual opportunists don't even attempt to break locks. A cheapo crappo
>lightweight cable lock has been enough to prevent the idea of theft popping
>into their heads, in my experience of twenty-five years of using one while
>popping into shops for 3 minutes.
>
>Have a look in pound shops, department stores, supermarkets, etc.

Aldi had some cheap lightweight cable locks in this Thursday's cycling
gear. (I've been using one from a few years ago.)

> Anything
>more secure will be much heavier and bulkier. I save my D lock for my
>crappiest bike!

I leave my heavy D-lock at work and have the cable lock in case I want to
pop into a shop on the way. (If you don't have locking skewers, a cable
lock also discourages a thief from taking your front wheel to stick on the
bike next to you that is only locked by its front wheel and not the frame.)

"Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for a solution to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
> minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop - in
> other words, short term protection against opportunist theft, rather
> than determined thieves equipped with bolt cutters etc.
>
> I don't see the point in carrying a 1.5 kilo super Fort Knox U-lock on
> a bike weighing only 9 kilos - a determined thief with tools would
> eventually crack that, too, given enough time. Any recommendations
> for something lightweight but strong enough to resist sticky-fingered
> amateurs for a minute or so?

Lots of suggestions but in the end, even if you are only away for a few
minutes your bike can be purloined.

In December 2005 I left my well travelled be well maintained bike ( with 2
brand new marathon + tyres fitted that morning) outside the village post
office. There was a small queue of 5 people and the bike was in my view
through the door. It was secured by my standard "short time" helical cable
with padlock. I bought two stamps to post a .letter to France and with my back
to the door 2 or 3 minutes at the most.

The bike had gone, Cable cut and away!

My bikes now have a very light "Timani" alarm fitted to the seat post. Which
is always on even when I am only a few feet away ( and a very dew feet at
that) say in the local market. That together with a lightweight cable plus
padlock might give me notice of someone trying to take off with my bike.

I must say also the my latest bike -- a Thorne Raven Tour -- isn't very
"flashy" ---- many bikes entice to thieves by being distinctly good looking
.. I am happy with my TRT being subdued in a darkish ruby red. With its coating
of travel dust it doesn't look more than a standard hack!

Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

"Andrew Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking for a solution to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
> minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop -

I don't bother with locks. I try and go to petrol stations that have a large
glass frontage and so I can keep an eye on my bike at all times. They are
well away from passing peds and car drivers don't seem to bother about them.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Simon Brooke wrote on 28/04/2007 09:34 +0100:

> A few days ago I heard a British politician referring to Leicester as
> in 'the North'. H'mmmm.

Being north of Watford it would seem to qualify ;-)

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

I have never had a problem bringing my race bike into stores, coffee
shops, etc if just to buy a drink and go and some for a complete grocery
list.
Walmart and London Drugs are different though and you can avoid them for
better 7-11's and restaurants. Banks have always let me in too.
Plus if you do not want to carry a 4 pounder you might like a 2 pounder.
The Kryptonite Evolution is such.

I always have a Specialized Hardrock Combo lock on the bike.
A combination lock means that you don't have to remember the keys.
Also long enough to stretch between the two wheels.
But I don't have illusions about it withstanding a bolt cropper etc.

I believe the OnGuard equivalent tested well in C+ recently too.

Another good product I recently bought:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360022247

It fits well on a road bike, and is the right size for a small Abus
chain. I chained my bike around a lamppost in Islington last night,
and it was there when I got back.

John Hearns wrote:

>I always have a Specialized Hardrock Combo lock on the bike.
>A combination lock means that you don't have to remember the keys.
>Also long enough to stretch between the two wheels.
>But I don't have illusions about it withstanding a bolt cropper etc.
>
>I believe the OnGuard equivalent tested well in C+ recently too.
>

>Another good product I recently bought:
>http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360022247
>
>It fits well on a road bike, and is the right size for a small Abus
>chain. I chained my bike around a lamppost in Islington last night,
>and it was there when I got back.

Hmmm.

Goes to Abus site finds size of bag....

ST 250 1,8 Litre 21 x 6 x 22cm

I think that is just a smidgin too big to fit in the triangle on a
Birdy. :-(

> I'm looking for a solution to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
> minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop.

Take your bike with you to the shop. Stop doing business with the shop
if they don't let you in with the bike.

BTW an opportunist bike thief can be stopped with a thin cable and
quick-release-free-wheels.

says...

> I'm looking for a solution to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
> minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop - in
> other words, short term protection against opportunist theft, rather
> than determined thieves equipped with bolt cutters etc.
>
> I don't see the point in carrying a 1.5 kilo super Fort Knox U-lock on
> a bike weighing only 9 kilos - a determined thief with tools would
> eventually crack that, too, given enough time. Any recommendations
> for something lightweight but strong enough to resist sticky-fingered
> amateurs for a minute or so?

Lots of replies already and I'm sorta late to the thread, but in some
major urban areas the bike thieves are incredibly good at what they do.
I had a $2500 bike stolen in Chicago last year at about 5:00 PM on a
sunny summer day on a busy street. Like others here, I never had a
problem with bike theft until then. But when it did happen it hit me
hard. It was locked with one of the smaller Kryptonite cables and a
Master lock. It should have been good enough for a 15 minute browse in
a bike shop, but it wasn't. There's a reason most every bike in Chicago
is locked with a huge U-lock.

To add insult to injury, my car was parked at the University of Chicago,
about 20 miles away. I had my choice of a $75 cab ride or to take the
train to Englewood and a bus to the U of C. Englewood is one of the
worst neighborhoods in Chicago, and I was dropped off just after dark to
wait for a bus. About then I wished I had just hired a cab. My
insurance was gracious and paid me in full, but I built that bike part
by part and there wasn't anything else like it.

The bottom line is you are taking a risk leaving your bike unattended
for any length of time. You may never have a problem, but everyone
should ask themselves if they can afford to lose their bike when they
lock it and turn their back.

In news:[email protected],
John Everett <[email protected]> tweaked the
Babbage-Engine to tell us:
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:00:55 +0200, Andrew Price <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a solution to lock my bike to a lamp-post for 2 to 3
>> minutes, just the time to buy something to eat or drink in a shop -
>> in other words, short term protection against opportunist theft,
>> rather than determined thieves equipped with bolt cutters etc.
>>
>> I don't see the point in carrying a 1.5 kilo super Fort Knox U-lock
>> on a bike weighing only 9 kilos - a determined thief with tools would
>> eventually crack that, too, given enough time. Any recommendations
>> for something lightweight but strong enough to resist sticky-fingered
>> amateurs for a minute or so?

> If you're just trying to discourage opportunists try lacing your
> helmet straps around a seat stay and through a couple of spokes.
>
> Yet another reason to wear a helmet. ;-)

Although the same effect could be acheived with rather less cost and
inconvenience by a toe-strap.

My chum Mr Hurt discourages minipikeys from making off with his machinery by
attaching a small padlock either to the chainring of his fixer or the brake
disc of his recumbent trike.

--
Dave Larrington
Like Kant, it is my wish to create my own individual

Dave Larrington wrote on 30/04/2007 08:59 +0100:

> My chum Mr Hurt discourages minipikeys from making off with his machinery by
> attaching a small padlock either to the chainring of his fixer or the brake
> disc of his recumbent trike.

I've only seen it once but its quite fun watching a minipikey making off
on a fixie. Mr Tarmac taught them the lesson about not stopping
pedalling. ;-)