Looking for Advice on new Bikes

Graham_DNF

Jul 31, 2005
Hi everyone,

I am currently looking at a new bike and I am hoping that someone can give me some advice on the following bikes:

Felt F3C (2006)
Fuiji Team Pro (2007)
Cervelo R3 (2007)

I am looking for a solid, full carbon bike to do some road racing with, some group rides and a lot in the hills near where I live.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Graham

I've been ogling the Team Pro ever since the 07s came out. The only bike I like better, although it's in a different class, is the 07 Jamis Team Zenith.

Go for the Fuji........

Graham_DNF said:
Hi everyone,

I am currently looking at a new bike and I am hoping that someone can give me some advice on the following bikes:

Felt F3C (2006)
Fuiji Team Pro (2007)
Cervelo R3 (2007)

I am looking for a solid, full carbon bike to do some road racing with, some group rides and a lot in the hills near where I live.

Thanks

Graham
Cervelo, no question.

outta those 3, Fuji. The 07 paintjob looks like a LooK. Very, very nice design. If you were getting it for pure racing, go the R3.

Graham_DNF said:
Hi everyone,

Felt F3C (2006)
Fuiji Team Pro (2007)
Cervelo R3 (2007)

Thanks

Graham
Why that's easy. Buy whichever one that the dealer you like best sells.

Consider your size before buying a Fuji. How much do you weigh? If you are over 150 pounds than do NOT get the Fuji. Fuji gives you a good looking bike at a great price, but they are not exactly the stiffest bikes around. I have a 2005 team pro (aluminum with carbon seat stay) and as soon as I stand up it turns into spaghetti (I weigh in at 185). Fuji's aluminum frames tend to be a little bit stiffer than their aluminum.

In conclusion: If you are a VERY small and light rider, you can't go wrong with the Fuji for its price since you won't have much problems with flex. Unfortuneately if you are on the average to heavy side then get something much stiffer.

ToffoIsMe said:
Consider your size before buying a Fuji. How much do you weigh? If you are over 150 pounds than do NOT get the Fuji. Fuji gives you a good looking bike at a great price, but they are not exactly the stiffest bikes around. I have a 2005 team pro (aluminum with carbon seat stay) and as soon as I stand up it turns into spaghetti (I weigh in at 185). Fuji's aluminum frames tend to be a little bit stiffer than their aluminum.

In conclusion: If you are a VERY small and light rider, you can't go wrong with the Fuji for its price since you won't have much problems with flex. Unfortuneately if you are on the average to heavy side then get something much stiffer.
I am 150 lbs (was a little heavier when i had my 06 Fuji team pro) and i would agree 100% with what ToffoIsMe says. But-I didnt ride the C7 carbon Fuji which if your thinking about a Cervelo R3-then you should easily be able to afford the top of the line Fuji, not their C4 carbon model (Team pro). I sold my team pro at a huge loss after 5-months and bought a 07 Cannondale Six13. Much stiffer, better handling at all speeds (especially above 45mph), but doesnt ride cadillac smooth (also dead feeling) as the Fuji.

Hope this helps,
Ray

rayhuang said:
I am 150 lbs (was a little heavier when i had my 06 Fuji team pro) and i would agree 100% with what ToffoIsMe says. But-I didnt ride the C7 carbon Fuji which if your thinking about a Cervelo R3-then you should easily be able to afford the top of the line Fuji, not their C4 carbon model (Team pro). I sold my team pro at a huge loss after 5-months and bought a 07 Cannondale Six13. Much stiffer, better handling at all speeds (especially above 45mph), but doesnt ride cadillac smooth (also dead feeling) as the Fuji.

Hope this helps,
Ray
The C7 is not much better than the C4. The shop I work at is the number one carbon Fuji retailer on the east coast (according to our Fuji rep) so I've had a chance to ride just about all of the Fuji models. Everything from the bottom of the line Finests to the top of the line Team Issues. C7 is slightly stiffer than C4, but once you are in that price range there are MUCH stiffer bikes available(Madone 5.5 for example).

ToffoIsMe said:
The C7 is not much better than the C4. The shop I work at is the number one carbon Fuji retailer on the east coast (according to our Fuji rep) so I've had a chance to ride just about all of the Fuji models. Everything from the bottom of the line Finests to the top of the line Team Issues. C7 is slightly stiffer than C4, but once you are in that price range there are MUCH stiffer bikes available(Madone 5.5 for example).
I wonder what effect the aluminum insert on the steere tube will make as well. My bike had a bit of a high speed shimmy or did they just do that to help keep the headset tight?

Do you know if the Toyota/United team bikes are off the shelf?

Thanks,
Ray

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the advice.

I should say, I am a fairly lightweight rider (about 130-135lbs). I am also leaning towards the Fuji. For the price it is really tempting (and also more aero than the R3). And in terms of dealer, the store that sells the Fuji is unbeatable for service. In terms of my weight, from what everyone is saying, I don't really have to worry about sway. I am currently on an all Aluminium Norco and so I'm looking to step into something that will ride smoother and by stiffer. The Fuji also has pretty good components (All Ultegra with a Dura-Ace rear).

Thanks again

rayhuang said:
I wonder what effect the aluminum insert on the steere tube will make as well. My bike had a bit of a high speed shimmy or did they just do that to help keep the headset tight?

Do you know if the Toyota/United team bikes are off the shelf?

Thanks,
Ray
The aluminum insert is to add stiffness. Its a good idea, because the steerer tubes on the full carbon Fuji forks were unbelievably flexible before. My guess is they got the idea from the Alpha Q forks which have been using the aluminum insert idea for quite a while now.

Graham_DNF said:
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the advice.

I should say, I am a fairly lightweight rider (about 130-135lbs). I am also leaning towards the Fuji. For the price it is really tempting (and also more aero than the R3). And in terms of dealer, the store that sells the Fuji is unbeatable for service. In terms of my weight, from what everyone is saying, I don't really have to worry about sway. I am currently on an all Aluminium Norco and so I'm looking to step into something that will ride smoother and by stiffer. The Fuji also has pretty good components (All Ultegra with a Dura-Ace rear).

Thanks again
At that weight you should have no problems. Like I said before, Fujis are AMAZING deals for the smaller riders out there.

Graham_DNF said:
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks again
Graham-I highly recommend you take one for a test ride and see how it descends and also how it feels in fast tight corners if you plan on racing.

rayhuang said:
Graham-I highly recommend you take one for a test ride and see how it descends and also how it feels in fast tight corners if you plan on racing.
I agree...the issue with test rides is the weather. I live in Ottawa, Canada and its pretty cold and snowy here to be test riding, especially up in the Gatineau Hills. I was considering waiting until it warms up, but all of the stuff is on sale (including shoes, pedals, etc)...so it is a hard deal to pass up. I may see what I can do in terms of a test ride when it warms up and see if I can preserve sale prices.