Looking to buy a mountain bike under $600

sfultz10

May 11, 2007
Hi everyone,

I have been riding road for awhile and now I am looking to expand a little bit. I am a college student and the bike would be used for anything from commuting to places around campus to some moderate trail riding. I want it to be able to handle abuse off the road but still be able to cruise well on the road. I know a lot of people will say whichever feels and fits the best, which is true and I plan to try many, but I want opinions on what I should try and what I should be looking for. Which mountain bike under $600 dollars would give me the most bang for my buck based on the riding that I have described?

sfultz10 said:
Hi everyone,

I have been riding road for awhile and now I am looking to expand a little bit. I am a college student and the bike would be used for anything from commuting to places around campus to some moderate trail riding. I want it to be able to handle abuse off the road but still be able to cruise well on the road. I know a lot of people will say whichever feels and fits the best, which is true and I plan to try many, but I want opinions on what I should try and what I should be looking for. Which mountain bike under $600 dollars would give me the most bang for my buck based on the riding that I have described?
Specialized Rockhopper. I just bought one yesterday and looged about 10 miles of dirt road and trail riding on it already. Great ride at a great price - about $500 US.

I am particularly looking at the rockhopper and the trek 4500, have anyone else had any experience with these two or another in their price range?

sfultz10 said:
I am particularly looking at the rockhopper and the trek 4500, have anyone else had any experience with these two or another in their price range?
Well, in addition to the 2006 Rockhopper that I purchased on Friday I purchased a 2007 Trek 4500 for my son yesterday. Here are my thoughts on both:

Both are comfortable bikes. The seat on the 4500 is fairly hard (feels more like a road bike seat) than the seat on the Rockhopper. Otherwise, no real difference in the way the bikes feel (i.e. the geometry of both bikes is very similar).

Components: the components on both are very similar - middle of the road to lower end. The Rockhopper has SRAM components and the 4500 has Shimano Deore (RD) and Acera (FD) components. Truthfully, both bikes shift cleanly and smoothly.

Frames: like I said earlier, the geometry of both bikes is so similar that there are no real differences. Both are light weight aluminum and feel pretty stiff on the ride. The great thing about the frames is that they are the same frame used in the higher end bikes. That means you can upgrade the components on each and you have a better bike. Literally, the sky's the limit if you want to upgrade the components.

In the end, they are both VERY good starter bikes and I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

If you have any additional questions fire away and I will try to answer them from my experience.

Rob

sfultz10 said:
Thank you very much for your input, I guess it will all come down to feel then.
Well, isn't that what it always come down to? <smile> The one constant that I have always read when it comes to bike buying advice is to ride the models you are considering and buy the one that feels best.

Good luck!

Rob

sfultz10 said:
Thank you very much for your input, I guess it will all come down to feel then.
Please do let me know what you ended up with.

Rob

I recently bought a Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc. Test rode the Trek 4500 and Rockhopper and Rockhopper disc. Went with the comp for the upgrade in components, better disc brakes, and stronger wheel set. If you can stretch the budget just a bit, I think you will really appreciate the difference, and be much happier in the long run.

Like the previous posters, you are getting a good bike either way. I seem to be more comfortable on Specialized than Trek, but that is probably just me.

Good Luck!