low cadence, big gear training (was share your sprint)

MY02_STi said:
Not sure if I follow you here - who is going to 'work'' harder, the rider in a lower gear (presumably at a 'higher' power output but at a 'lower' heart rate ?) or the rider in a higher gear (presumably at a 'lower' power output but at a 'higher' heart rate) :confused:

Same power output but one rider at race specific cadence and one at a non specific cadence.

The Aussies also used to do lots of O2 training. 20min efforts in little gears at cadences well above race pace (for roadies).

So if cadence deals with efficiency then why not train at the cadence we intend to race at in the same way we try to train at the power output we hope to race at?

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

fergie said:
Same power output but one rider at race specific cadence and one at a non specific cadence.

The Aussies also used to do lots of O2 training. 20min efforts in little gears at cadences well above race pace (for roadies).

So if cadence deals with efficiency then why not train at the cadence we intend to race at in the same way we try to train at the power output we hope to race at?

Hamish Ferguson
Cycling Coach

I already wrote in this thread about what this training is intended to do for you. Efficiency is but a small part of that. Power differences at the different cadences is not important. Time in tension and amount of tension are the areas where you should try to understand the main benefits.