M5 seat on a Barcroft?

Mitch Waldrop

Guest
I'm interested in putting an M5 hard-shell seat on my
Barcroft Virginia GT, which currently has a standard Rans
seat with the square channel mount. After searching in the
archives of this newsgroup I found a number of messages in
which people mention that they've mounted an M5 seat on a
Barcroft--but none that explain exactly how they did it.

Thus my email: what mounting hardware do you use? (The
standard Rans brackets don't fit because of the ribs on the
back&bottom of the M5. A Bacchetta mount won't work because
the Barcroft tube is round, not tear-shaped, and because the
cable channels are in the wrong place.) Where do you get
that hardware? And if you have to modify it, precisely what
modifications do you need?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mitch

Mitch Waldrop wrote:

> I'm interested in putting an M5 hard-shell seat on my
> Barcroft Virginia GT, which currently has a standard Rans
> seat with the square channel mount. After searching in the
> archives of this newsgroup I found a number of messages in
> which people mention that they've mounted an M5 seat on a
> Barcroft--but none that explain exactly how they did it.
>
> Thus my email: what mounting hardware do you use? (The
> standard Rans brackets don't fit because of the ribs on
> the back&bottom of the M5. A Bacchetta mount won't work
> because the Barcroft tube is round, not tear-shaped, and
> because the cable channels are in the wrong place.) Where
> do you get that hardware? And if you have to modify it,
> precisely what modifications do you need?...

There was an article about this conversion by Mike Stern in
RCN #79 (November/December 2003).

It should be noted that Mike (Hi Mike!) shows questionable
judgement in the article by saying nice things about Ben Fox
(Hi Ben!) [1] who did the actual work. ;)

I would comment that RANS should be in all capital
letters, but I will refrain from doing so since it annoys
some people.

[1] I eagerly await Ben's return insult. :)

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

> Mitch Waldrop wrote:
>
> > I'm interested in putting an M5 hard-shell seat on my
> > Barcroft Virginia GT, which currently has a standard
> > Rans seat with the square channel mount. After searching
> > in the archives of this newsgroup I found a number of
> > messages in which people mention that they've mounted an
> > M5 seat on a Barcroft--but none that explain exactly how
> > they did it.
> >
> > Thus my email: what mounting hardware do you use? (The
> > standard Rans brackets don't fit because of the ribs on
> > the back&bottom of the M5. A Bacchetta mount won't work
> > because the Barcroft tube is round, not tear-shaped, and
> > because the cable channels are in the wrong place.)
> > Where do you get that hardware? And if you have to
> > modify it, precisely what modifications do you need?...
>
> There was an article about this conversion by Mike Stern
> in RCN #79 (November/December 2003).
>
> It should be noted that Mike (Hi Mike!) shows questionable
> judgement in the article by saying nice things about Ben
> Fox (Hi Ben!) [1] who did the actual work. ;)
>
> I would comment that RANS should be in all capital
> letters, but I will refrain from doing so since it annoys
> some people.
>
> [1] I eagerly await Ben's return insult. :)

Mitch: Tom Sherman is right (as always) about the article.
The Virginia was a great bike before the seat conversion and
it is even better afterwards. I now have one year and about
2500 miles on the bike after the conversion and Ben's work
has withstood everything that the bike encountered. If you
want to contact me off line you can do so at
[email protected].

Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.