Makes you wonder

+1 for Faux Pas' comment ;) Driving commodore is like giving hand gun to kids, unfortunately, the term kids apply to the drivers as well.

It's not just commodor drivers it is anyone around twenty with a high powered vehicle. I have a mate that has a Liberty and he drives like a f*** wit if there is anyone but me in the car but if I am in the car he slows right down. It all image and saying look how tough he is mind u when he does it in front of me all i say is F*** Wit and he knows I mean it and it does not impress me so he slows down.

That guess was trying to scare them and in my mind might of swarved to push them off the road but they proably did not move and got hit. Mind why should they have to move!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beauyboy

Once per lifetime the cyclists have a win :D
Our usual Wed morning ride the bunch is racing home fast as!!! I'm #1 and a bus pulls in front and hits the skids to pick up pax - this is normal here - the bus drivers are homicidal. I grab everything and miss the bus by a few mm, so I expect the guys behind me did the same. I send a few choice expletives to the bus driver through his open window, which he ignores of course. #2 rider stops to have a chat to the driver - very important pos with transport dept, decides who gets their bus licenses, etc. Comment back at the carpark is that xyz bus driver will be off the buses by lunchtime. I suppose the bus driver wasn't too smart about his choice of victims :rolleyes:

ozbiker2 said:
Our usual Wed morning ride the bunch is racing home fast as!!! I'm #1 and a bus pulls in front and hits the skids to pick up pax - this is normal here - the bus drivers are homicidal. I grab everything and miss the bus by a few mm, so I expect the guys behind me did the same. I send a few choice expletives to the bus driver through his open window, which he ignores of course. #2 rider stops to have a chat to the driver - very important pos with transport dept, decides who gets their bus licenses, etc. Comment back at the carpark is that xyz bus driver will be off the buses by lunchtime. I suppose the bus driver wasn't too smart about his choice of victims :rolleyes:
I totally agree with you ozbiker... the bus drivers on the sunny coast are insane!
lucky for me petrie creek rd hasnt got a bus route and there arent too many busses in maroochydore of a morning :D and funnily enough, nambour-maroochydore by petrie ck road has the most courteous drivers ive ever come across. go figure.

i think i have the most problems with pedestrians up there... everyone is so relaxed and they just walk out all over the place...

asterope said:
.....and funnily enough, nambour-maroochydore by petrie ck road has the most courteous drivers ive ever come across. go figure.....
++1
I ride Petrie Ck road frequently and feel very comfortable on it. Maybe it's because it is a favourite "fishing spot" for the local traffic branch. Never, never, never speed along Petrie Ck road :eek:

in response to the last comment made by a taxi driver from ennogera (dont know if it will be published yet)

Mr Grieve of ennogera. Lets not get started on the dangerous, illegal and downright stupid acts of road *unsafety* i see taxi drivers practicing every day.
not all of them you say? not you you say? well not all cyclists ride up one way streets or on the inner city bypass. yes, it is legal to ride there, as there are no signs stating that bicycles are not allowed, infact i even think the shoulder is considered a bike path, but certainly not a dedicated one.
so lets not generalise aye?
as for riding in the morning fog (i was obviously one of those riders that got your goat) we cyclists were just going on about our own business, and you were going on about yours... in no way is riding anywhere at any time on a bicycle, no matter what the weather "bringing it upon ourselves". You are expected to be a professional driver (or so i would like to think, but your post would indicate otherwise) so you should have been prepared for any eventuality that would occur on the road in the fog, regardless of the vehicle. what would you have done if a mentally ill person had walked out onto the road in the fog? would you have been prepared or were they "bringing it upon themselves"?
if you were at all frustrated or inconvenienced by the cyclists on the road, or were possibly in the situation where you may have had an accident this morning, you were then obviously not exercising due care.
not exercising due care when you drive for a living is a sure-fire way to have some serious consequences happen sometime.

i have an idea... how about you just go about your job, we will go about our transport, be courteous to eachother and you can dump the mentality that we are just bringing it upon ourselves.

and some more response in response of his extra added stupid comment:

oh and another thing Mr Grieve... we are allowed to use the T2 and T3 lanes. infact, they are the best lanes for a cyclist to be using in the traffic and are recommended to be used.
as for using the bikeways; well... most of them dont actually GO ANYWHERE, and the problem is see, that we are trying to GO SOMEWHERE.

yes, you have pretty much demonstrated your complete and utter lack of the knowledge of road rules. I dont think you should be allowed to drive at all, let alone take passengers, until you have demonstrated that you have a good, sound, professional knowledge of the road rules.

mikesbytes said:
To clip a cyclist in the middle of the bunch, one would have to ask the question, was the motorist delibertry going as close as possible to the cyclists?
I know this bit of road vey well.There is about 50m of a short single lane (not much of a shoulder) then it spreads into two lanes, plus another lane to turn into a Bunnings.In total you could say 3 lanes.Enough to fit a 2 roadtrains side by side.So I am willing to bet my lefty that F*#K face bevan boy would have gotten as close to the cyclists as possible.He was probably racing up the pub not far away for a couple of rumbos and durries.

Be safe everyone, because unfortuneately there are wankers like this everywhere at anytime, whether you are solo or with 12 other peeps or more....Like you didn't know!

MPCRUSHER said:
Clearly if there are 13 or more riders in a bunch, a car must be able to see them. This guy has apparrently " Clipped " a cyclist. How the F@#$ do you clip a cyclist. You drive straight into them thats how. How close was this bloke. I think he has done it on purpose. He has tried to get real close to the bunch to scare them and he has misjudged the distance. For this newspaper to call it an accident is absurd as well as an insult to the riders in hospital. Accidents like this dont just happen. They are avoidable.

When a car passes you when your riding single breasted on the road, there should be a legally appropriate passing distance between rider and car. It should be well known in the community. The onous has to be on the car driver to avoid the rider. When a bunch is riding two abreast, cars should by law be made to pass in the outer most lane, or overtake the same way you would any other vehicle on the road.

Our state governments have a lot to answer for. Both state and local.
=======================================================
Here in New Zealand the law is 1.5metre gap between car and cyclist when the car is passing.
I've written in to the Police about tens of cars that have come closer than that - the drivers/owners would then have got a notice about the incident.
Riding two abreat - here it's not allowed on windy roads - which I think is a good law.:)
Some bunches of racing riders can be way too cocky on the road and make it very difficult for drivers to pass - leading to a very frustrated motorist(s). :mad:
Me - I always have my helmet mirror on and move over as much as possible - or even get off the road for scummy drivers.

Bigbananabike said:
=======================================================
Here in New Zealand the law is 1.5metre gap between car and cyclist when the car is passing.
I've written in to the Police about tens of cars that have come closer than that - the drivers/owners would then have got a notice about the incident.
Riding two abreat - here it's not allowed on windy roads - which I think is a good law.:)
Some bunches of racing riders can be way too cocky on the road and make it very difficult for drivers to pass - leading to a very frustrated motorist(s). :mad:
Me - I always have my helmet mirror on and move over as much as possible - or even get off the road for scummy drivers.
One of the biggest risks for riders here in Brisbane is the amount of rubbish that is on the road side. Moving as far left as possible can put you in harms way as much as staying put. Bits of delaminated truck tyre, broken glass and metal debris are a real hazard. A sudden flat at high speed could be devistating. So what does NZ do to combat that issue, that you actually can move left? As for the 1.5 meter rule, ours is 1.2 meters but who has time to pull out the tape measure:confused: A lot of us would complain about it here too, if we for one small moment thought that the police actually cared. The appathy toward cyclists in Brisbane is so palpable it could be cut with a chain saw.

I think though it speaks volumes for the people who love to ride, that the commodore, volvo and truck drivers don't scare us off. We still love it with such passion, we will brave the morons because cycling is so much a part of our lives. maybe wemon should be looking for cyclists to date because we are not afraid of commitment.:D :D :D Just ask my wife!

ozbiker2 said:
I have an answer to get the attention of bus drivers who left hook you as the skid across your front wheel into a bus stop rather than slow down for 3 seconds. Assuming you're able to stop and not hit the bus... gently roll into the side of the bus and hit it (with your hand - shoulder, front tyre etc.). No damage but since there has been a collision, you position yourself in front of the bus to prevent him from leaving. You then demand to see his licence (legally, he must swap details). This will spoil his day as he (and his passengers) will now be horribly late. Sounds harsh but, if we all wasted 10 minutes of their time by swapping details, inpecting for damage (thoroughly) etc. as the law requires you to, they will think twice next time they try to save 3 seconds by running you off the road.

Have done this twice now, driver was very sorry.

Should they refuse, call the cops and report driver leaving the scene of an accident.

Scotty

PS And be sure to report it to the Bus Co. / police

charliechops said:
I know this bit of road vey well.There is about 50m of a short single lane (not much of a shoulder) then it spreads into two lanes, plus another lane to turn into a Bunnings.In total you could say 3 lanes.Enough to fit a 2 roadtrains side by side.So I am willing to bet my lefty that F*#K face bevan boy would have gotten as close to the cyclists as possible.He was probably racing up the pub not far away for a couple of rumbos and durries.

Be safe everyone, because unfortuneately there are wankers like this everywhere at anytime, whether you are solo or with 12 other peeps or more....Like you didn't know!
So it seems more likely to be due to Aggro driving rather than driver or rider error.

mikesbytes said:
So it seems more likely to be due to Aggro driving rather than driver or rider error.
There is more than a good chance that aggresive driving played a major part in this avoidable accident.