male and female bike difference

On Mon, 19 May 2003 14:47:54 -0400, Julia Goolia wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Why is there a difference between male bikes and female bikes? The difference seems very stupid to
> me. It also seems like the female bike should be for a male because of the cross bar. Is it
> ok/normal for a male to ride a female bike and vice versa?

I presume by "male" and "female" bikes you are referring to bikes with and without top tubes. The
shortest possible answer is, "skirts". The only reason for no top tube is to allow the cyclist to
ride while wearing a skirt or dress. If you're not wearing a skirt, why use a less efficient
frame design?

In article <[email protected]>, Van Bagnol <[email protected]> wrote:

> Actually, the modern "Women's Specific Design" bikes are sized for the difference in women's limb
> proportions, not for shorter height. Trek, for example, makes a 19" WSD mountain frame -- hardly
> for petites.
>
> There's nothing at all wrong with women riding regular "men's" frames nor men riding WSD frames,
> provided that the frames fit the riders' proportions and riding styles.

Oh, it may seem that way, but nobody wants to be the guy riding a Trek WSD :).

When I was a boy and my mental processes were being formed, the worst humiliation was to be caught
riding a girl's bike. If you had been exposed as wearing lacy, pink underwear, the social penalty
would not have been as severe. Among men, this is not an issue of practicality, but one of
heavily-loaded symbolism. Of course, many of

can't tell some of them apart, myself. Such distinctions in bicycle styles probably mean little to
them. Incidentally, the sperm counts produced by today's men in their twenties is barely half that
of what they were prior to the cultural revolution of 1965. If only this would result in lower birth
rates, there'd be some good to it.

Steve McDonald

"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message .ca...

> > I ride a womens bike with mens handlebars and saddle.

Zoot, just when I think you couldn't possibly get any more lame you come out with that statement.

You have any idea what guys like me think about you?

Anyway, that's enough talk about you for one day.

"Steve McDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> styles probably mean little to them. Incidentally, the sperm counts produced by today's men in
> their twenties is barely half that of what they were prior to the cultural revolution of 1965. If
> only this would result in lower birth rates, there'd be some good to it.

There might be something to that. The birth rates for industrialized nations have been below
replacement for the past 30 years, a trend that was broken for the first time in 2000 in the U.S.
Population growth in the U.S. has been due to immigration. The recent increase in the birth rate was
likely due to the immigration of highly fertile hispanic women (no, I'm not being racist, check the
report yourself). As for teenagers, the birth rate for teenage mothers was the lowest ever recorded.
Your target group, twenty-somethings, has seen an increase in birth rates in recent times. Half the
sperm, still having kids. Perhaps there is something to these slotted saddles after all!

:)

-Buck

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

> "Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message .ca...
>
> > > I ride a womens bike with mens handlebars and saddle.
>
> Zoot, just when I think you couldn't possibly get any more lame you come out with that statement.
>
> You have any idea what guys like me think about you?
>
> Anyway, that's enough talk about you for one day.

Zoot - don't remind him about the dinosaur!

In article <[email protected]>, Robin Hubert
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> > > Sheesh! Where do you think all the little bikes come from?
> >
> > Brought by storks, of course.
>
> No, its "forks".
>
> --
> Robin Hubert <[email protected]>

I am reminded of the great Avram Davidson story "And all the seas with oysters" in which someone
discovered that bicycles did in fact reproduce, giving birth to paper clips which became coat
hangers in their larval state before becoming a new generation of bicycles. Of course, the person
who found this out was strangled by a coat hanger.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Van Bagnol <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Actually, the modern "Women's Specific Design" bikes are sized for the difference in women's
> > limb proportions, not for shorter height. Trek, for example, makes a 19" WSD mountain frame --
> > hardly for petites.
> >
> > There's nothing at all wrong with women riding regular "men's" frames nor men riding WSD frames,
> > provided that the frames fit the riders' proportions and riding styles.
>
> Oh, it may seem that way, but nobody wants to be the guy riding a Trek WSD :).
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

Too true, but as long as it ain't pink who would know?

In article <[email protected]>, Bernie <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, Van Bagnol <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Actually, the modern "Women's Specific Design" bikes are sized for the difference in women's
> > > limb proportions, not for shorter height. Trek, for example, makes a 19" WSD mountain frame --
> > > hardly for petites.
> > >
> > > There's nothing at all wrong with women riding regular "men's" frames nor men riding WSD
> > > frames, provided that the frames fit the riders' proportions and riding styles.
> >
> > Oh, it may seem that way, but nobody wants to be the guy riding a Trek WSD :).
> >
> > --
> > Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni
> > Fan Club
>
> Too true, but as long as it ain't pink who would know?

Look. Trek does distinctive colour schemes for most WSD bikes:

http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/2003/road/large/2300wsd.jpg

Does that look like a manly colour to you?

Leonard Migliore <[email protected]> wrote:

>I am reminded of the great Avram Davidson story "And all the seas with oysters" in which someone
>discovered that bicycles did in fact reproduce, giving birth to paper clips which became coat
>hangers in their larval state before becoming a new generation of bicycles. Of course, the person
>who found this out was strangled by a coat hanger.

That makes perfect sense!

Now that I think about it, back when you could only get steel coat hangers, you could only find
steel bikes.

Then years later, they figure out a way to make plastic paper clips, and then there are fat plastic
coat hangers, and soon enough, we have a myriad of plastic bikes on the market.

I'd tell you where to find ti paper clips and hangers, but then I'd have to kill you.

> I am reminded of the great Avram Davidson story "And all the seas with oysters" in which someone
> discovered that bicycles did in fact reproduce, giving birth to paper clips which became coat
> hangers in their larval state before becoming a new generation of bicycles. Of course, the person
> who found this out was strangled by a coat hanger.

At last! I read that story years ago and had completely forgotten its author and title. Now, at
last, I can go find it and my life will be complete. Thank you!

Peter Gardner Shameless SF fan

Wed, 21 May 2003 02:28:54 GMT, <[email protected]>, Professor, "Fabrizio
Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> questioned:

>You have any idea what guys like me think about you?

Fab, baby, snap out of it! That you even think about me shows you're slipping.

I'm starting to worry that next you'll be wearing a mirror and looking at suspension seatposts.
--
zk

Tue, 20 May 2003 20:39:35 -0700, <[email protected]>, Bernie <[email protected]> wrote:

>Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

>> Zoot, just when I think you couldn't possibly get any more lame you come out with that statement.
>>
>> You have any idea what guys like me think about you?
>>
>> Anyway, that's enough talk about you for one day.
>
>Zoot - don't remind him about the dinosaur!

Dinosaur? I don't know what you're talking about.

http://mypage.direct.ca/i/imnot/pix/dino1_april.jpg
--
zk

Doug Kanter wrote:

> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Look. Trek does distinctive colour schemes for most WSD bikes:
> >
> > http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/2003/road/large/2300wsd.jpg
> >
> > Does that look like a manly colour to you?
> >

> I believe you have to mount one of these on that bike, or it's not really manly:
> http://www.smith-wesson.com/Products/Firearms/images/163500_lrg.jpg
>
> :)

Well that's an equalizer for sure. Everyone is on level ground if all are packing one of those -
I'll just stay with the Italian hand signals for now, tho. Bernie

Zoot Katz wrote:

> Tue, 20 May 2003 20:39:35 -0700, <[email protected]>, Bernie <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

> >> Zoot, just when I think you couldn't possibly get any more lame you come out with that
> >> statement.
> >>
> >> You have any idea what guys like me think about you?
> >>
> >> Anyway, that's enough talk about you for one day.
> >
> >Zoot - don't remind him about the dinosaur!
> >
> Dinosaur? I don't know what you're talking about.
>
> http://mypage.direct.ca/i/imnot/pix/dino1_april.jpg
> --
> zk

Chaque un a son gout!

In article <[email protected]>, "Doug Kanter"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Look. Trek does distinctive colour schemes for most WSD bikes:
> >
> > http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/2003/road/large/2300wsd.jpg
> >
> > Does that look like a manly colour to you?
> >

> I believe you have to mount one of these on that bike, or it's not really manly:
> http://www.smith-wesson.com/Products/Firearms/images/163500_lrg.jpg

Yessir. That would make any bike look manly.