Mavic Ksyrium Elites Wheel Alternatives

dougal

Nov 16, 2003
I am thinking of buying the Ksyrium Eilte wheelset for my new bike ... are there better alternatives?

I ride mainly flat roads of varying quality, weigh about 85-90kgs and don't want wheels that need truing all the time.

The wheels will cost around AUD 900 (USD 600) - what is the Campy equivalent?

I've just started using Ksyriums and they are very stiff and quick. Better still I think they look good.

Off hand I think the Campy Proton wheelset is the equivalent price-wise to the Ksyrium Elites.

By the way, for not too much more than $900 you might be able to find a pair of the older Ksyrium SSC SLs (the black ones, not the new silver SL2s) if you have a hunt around.

Seems a lot of money just for a pair of wheels , why do you have to replace what you´ve got ? What´s the advantage ? remember that you´ll need to replace the rim as often on a fancy wheel as a good " standard " wheel ( brake wear , crash damage ) just saw a pair of Rolf Vigor wheels - beautiful but 850 euros worth ??????

Consider the Campag Eurus wheels. Had them about a month. Very strong, lighter than the SSC SL's, great hubs which spin forever. Also the bladed spokes are far more aero than those on the Mavic's.

Consider the Campag Eurus wheels. Had them about a month. Very strong, lighter than the SSC SL's, great hubs which spin forever. Also the bladed spokes are far more aero than those on the Mavic's. Also the rims are deeper. Ksyriums have standard box section rims.

Originally posted by crystal_tears_
Consider the Campag Eurus wheels. Had them about a month. Very strong, lighter than the SSC SL's, great hubs which spin forever. Also the bladed spokes are far more aero than those on the Mavic's. Also the rims are deeper. Ksyriums have standard box section rims.
They must be Sooooo wonderful.

Agree with the Campagnolo Eurus wheels recommendation. Very strong, light and unique in the club ride. I got mine for $580 US on EBay.

I recently purchased a set of Elites on Ebay for $375 and shipping. The dealer I bought from seems to have a set for sale on a consistent basis so you should be able to get them for alot cheaper than $600 US.

Dougal, you may consider looking into Velomax. I don't think I've ever ridden a pair, but they're developing an increasingly loyal following in the enthusiast and racing worlds alike. Their mid-range centerpiece, the Ascent II, retails for a little over $600, and is apparently fantastic -- great ride quality, reliable, light -- the usual stuff.

The slightly heavier, more budget-oriented Circuit Comps can be found for under $400, if you look hard enough. They're also a favorite in their price category.

Check out the Velomax website.

Also, I know a lot of guys riding modest Ritchey wheelsets; mid-range and lower-end Ritchey stuff tends to be solid and reliable, if not super sexy or super light.

At the same time, it's worth noting that the Campy Eurus and and cheaper Proton are pretty hard to find too much criticism for; people seem to love them.

My basic wheelset is the no-longer-available Shimano WH-6500, a paired-spoke Ultegra level design from a few years back. User satisfaction is mixed, but I've found them extremely durable, and nicely aero, if not the lightest wheels around. They retailed for over $600, but there are old over-stocks and used ones floating around for well under $300 by now, I bet.

Good luck!

Agree the Velomax are worth a look. I've just gotten a new bike with Velomax Circuit Comps, and they seem to be fine wheels: true and even spoke tension, with good stiffness. The hubs use adjustment-free cartridge bearings and have very low drag. They use a round butted spoke with the J-bend and head cut off so that it can be threaded straight into the hub.

Agree the Velomax are worth a look. I've just gotten a new bike with Velomax Circuit Comps, and they seem to be fine wheels: true and even spoke tension, with good stiffness. The hubs use adjustment-free cartridge bearings and have very low drag. They use round butted spokes with the J-bend and heads cut off so they can be threaded straight into the hub.

Velomax are nice.Ihave the elites with zero trouble and no truing problems either,rock solid.Getawaybikes.com have them for $429.

Thanks for the feedback - went with the Ksyrium Elites/ Campy wheels are too expensive in Aust and haven't seen the others here

Originally posted by dougal
I am thinking of buying the Ksyrium Eilte wheelset for my new bike ... are there better alternatives?

I ride mainly flat roads of varying quality, weigh about 85-90kgs and don't want wheels that need truing all the time.

There is a lot of good info on the Campagnolo website, www.campagnolo.com. Based on the specs there, I would say that the Campy wheel that is equivalent to the Elite is the Zonda. Not sure how they compare price-wise though. The Eurus is more comparable to the SSC SL, in my opinion. Good luck!

Another option you may want to consider is Bontrager wheels, specifically the Race X lite, or save a few $$ and look at the Race lite.

http://www.bontrager.com/roadwheels/detail.asp?id=121&pt=10

Thanks for the feedback - went with the Ksyrium Elites/ Campy wheels are too expensive in Aust and haven't seen the others here
Did u already get them?If so how are they?

Haven't got them yet ... they are going on a bike that I am having built up (frame is on order) at the end of Jan