Mavic SUCKS! Any similar problems with the R-sys recall?

eweber

Aug 16, 2004
I turned in a front mavic R-sys wheel just after April 1, and have heard nothing of my wheel. NOw they are telling me that i won't get my wheel back until June, and they won't give me a set of Axioms either because I waited until after April 1. THis is total BS. I have no bike, and it will be out of commision for 6 months.

Yes, I could have turned them in sooner, but i was travelling and thought that there was no immediate rush. Had I known I would have had a friend turn them in for me.

This is completely unacceptable. They can keep my wheels, unless they find me another set to ride sooner. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I am going to have my lawyer draft a letter to them, and would be happy to include all those that have had issues. I have one other person so far. I am asking for a full refund for my wheels, or an immediate set of temporary wheels.

Thanks for listening!

eweber said:
I turned in a front mavic R-sys wheel just after April 1, and have heard nothing of my wheel. NOw they are telling me that i won't get my wheel back until June, and they won't give me a set of Axioms either because I waited until after April 1. THis is total BS. I have no bike, and it will be out of commision for 6 months.
I understand your frustration but I don't see how your bike is going to be OOC for 6 months unless it takes you three months to put the wheel on your bike:confused:. Unfortunately I doubt that your letter will do anything. If you were to take them to court, the burden of proof would be on you to prove that Mavic did not adequately communicate that there was an April 1 deadline. Apparently they did an adequate job communicating this fact as most of the Mavic users turned their wheels in before the deadline to get the Axioms. The fact that you were traveling would be seen as irrelevant in the eyes of the court.

eweber said:

Yes, I could have turned them in sooner, but i was travelling and thought that there was no immediate rush. Had I known I would have had a friend turn them in for me.

This is completely unacceptable. They can keep my wheels, unless they find me another set to ride sooner. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I am going to have my lawyer draft a letter to them, and would be happy to include all those that have had issues. I have one other person so far. I am asking for a full refund for my wheels, or an immediate set of temporary wheels.

Thanks for listening!
While you are fighting the legal battles, suggest you buy another wheelset so you can ride your bike this spring. Get a cheapie set from Performance, or better yet have a wheelbuilder build up a standard 32 spoke wheelset for you, and get back on the bike.

If the Askiums come through, great, it nevers hurts to have a backup wheelset anyway. If not, you're out the cost of your replacement wheelset...but you're still riding.

Yup. Find a different set of wheels to use, and move on. You don't get any special consideration for being on travel when the recall deadline came up, and far as press releases went, I don't remember ever reading a promise from Mavic as to when the wheels would be modified and returned. FWIW, you weren't the only one with wheels to be exchanged. I can guarantee you that the Pro Tour and Continental teams got their wheels replaced, first. They were, after all, the first folks to get the wheels when they were issued.

Frankly, I don't know why someone would be R-SYS wheels in the first place. If I were waiting on replacements, I'd buy a custom set and then sell the R-SYS replacements and put the money towards something actually worth while.

eweber said:

Thanks for listening!

POST recall.

http://dmoynihan.smugmug.com/gallery/8242402_KGZcQ#539036861_TABEk

http://dmoynihan.smugmug.com/gallery/8242402_KGZcQ#539037858_apjVn