Morning ride

Wafflycathcsdir

Guest
Got up early this morning, grabbed some breakfast & cycled out into the morning mist. It was lovely.
Very quiet - hardly any cars round the lanes, just the sound of birdsong and that lovely sound
Campag makes when freewheeling :) Lots of wildlife about - saw some muntjac & some hare, doing what
hare do at this time of year ;-) There was the usual multitude of pheasants & sheep in fields - no
lambs yet though. Saw several jays flying about too. Pretty :)

All was well until the final right hand turn off the main road into the little lane to my house. One
of the neighbours is having some sort of event it seems
- and there were a few cars waiting to get out of my lane. I'm on the main road with priority,
having duly signalled and taken position to turn right into the lane. Obviously I was in Klingon
cloaking mode due to wearing fluorescent yellow jacket, ankle bands, ponytail band - plus I had
lighting, plus reflectives on me & on bike ... even though lighting wasn't strictly necessary as
it was light - most of the mist was gone by now. And me being so slim - NOT
- I was obviously rendered completely invisible. One guy pulled right out in front of me, then
zoomed off into the distance and the one behind him tried to. The filthy look I gave him spoke
volumes. He was so busy looking for on coming traffic, he failed to register that a cyclist was
right in front of his windscreen .. To turn into my lane I was forced to virtually go in the verge
alongside it and the look I got from the occupants of the car was on the lines

Still the view of the wildlife this morning was wonderful.

Cheers, helen s

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

> Got up early this morning, grabbed some breakfast & cycled out into the
morning
> mist. It was lovely. Very quiet - hardly any cars round the lanes, just
the
> sound of birdsong and that lovely sound Campag makes when freewheeling :)
Lots
> of wildlife about - saw some muntjac & some hare, doing what hare do at
this
> time of year ;-) There was the usual multitude of pheasants & sheep in
fields -
> no lambs yet though. Saw several jays flying about too. Pretty :)

I cut out the nasty bits

> Still the view of the wildlife this morning was wonderful.
>
> Cheers, helen s

I know, just started "training" after a 3 month layoff (been fell walking instead). (Started at 30m
add 5m every other day at 150 bpm av each 2 week micro) To float down country lanes is so different,
quietly approach wildlife, see the lambs, shout hello to the cows etc. So what... I was happy...
Sadly, the occasional knob is out there too, had the odd shout in the ear from white van passenger,
cars cutting left into me and the usual insults. And that's just in my street ;-)

Take care all

Neil in Durham

I had a workshop day today. Converted the summer commuter to a tripe CS ready for the Raid Pyrenean.
I remember a thread a while back asking for ones favourite innovation. Mine now is cartridge BB. Got
my old one removed, fitted the new one without much huffing & puffing, the monkey wrench only
slipped on the tool a few times - wish I had a half in socket wrench. Swapped my chainrings to the
new CS, fitted the CS, looked too far away from the bike, the old BB would be fine. Took the CS off,
removed the BB, fitted my original, rebuilt the bike - great. Fitted the front mech, twiddled some
random tiny screws (fine adjusters) and turned the cranks, changed gears, everything looks great
ready for the road test tomorrow.

Twas a good cycling day though.

> [...]

morning
> mist. It was lovely. Very quiet - hardly any cars round the lanes, just
the
> sound of birdsong and that lovely sound Campag makes when freewheeling :)
Lots
> of wildlife about - saw some muntjac & some hare, doing what hare do at
this
> time of year ;-) There was the usual multitude of pheasants & sheep in
fields -
> no lambs yet though. Saw several jays flying about too. Pretty :)

> Cheers, helen s
>

> Cheers, helen s
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~
> Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending
> reply!
>
> Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the

Helen,

Just curious, what is muntjac?

Maureen

>Helen,
>
>Just curious, what is muntjac?
>
>Maureen

Muntjac are small deer. See http://www.deer-uk.com/muntjac_deer.htm Here in Norfolk they are very
common indeed - I sometimes get the odd one in the garden.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

>I know, just started "training" after a 3 month layoff (been fell walking instead).

Fellwalking counts as a layoff??? Iam impressed :)

>To float down country lanes is so different, quietly approach wildlife, see the lambs, shout hello
>to the cows etc. So what... I was happy...

Oh I always exchange a friendly "good morning" with the local farm animals & wildlife :)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

> >Helen,
> >
> >Just curious, what is muntjac?
> >
> >Maureen
>
> Muntjac are small deer. See http://www.deer-uk.com/muntjac_deer.htm Here in Norfolk they are very
> common indeed - I sometimes get the odd one
in
> the garden.
>
> Cheers, helen s
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~
> Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending
> reply!
>
> Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
keyboaRRRDdd
> ~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for that. I am up in Scotland and it is mainly Roe deer around here.

Maureen

> >Thanks for that. I am up in Scotland and it is mainly Roe deer around
here.

> We get those too - even in the garden! My little 6lb one-eyed black feline huntress has delusions
> of grandeur and when we've had deer come into the garden, she stalks them. It is incredibly funny
> to watch :)
>
> Cheers, helen s
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~
> Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending
> reply!
>
> Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the
keyboaRRRDdd
> ~~~~~~~~~~

Love cats too Helen. I`ve got a couple of pics of my boy and girl on Webshots if you are interested.

http://community.webshots.com/user/mrd1959

Maureen

I love morning rides, on Saturdays I head out at 7am and compared to the rides I do during the rest
of the week the early morning one is blissful. Fewer cars on the roads, the sun rising and the
animals stirring as ride past. One of the real pleasures in my life.

Allen

On 29 Mar 2003 10:48:42 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>Got up early this morning, grabbed some breakfast & cycled out into the morning mist. It was
>lovely. Very quiet - hardly any cars round the lanes, just the sound of birdsong and that lovely
>sound Campag makes when freewheeling :) Lots of wildlife about - saw some muntjac & some hare,
>doing what hare do at this time of year ;-) There was the usual multitude of pheasants & sheep in
>fields - no lambs yet though. Saw several jays flying about too. Pretty :)
>
>All was well until the final right hand turn off the main road into the little lane to my house.
>One of the neighbours is having some sort of event it seems
>- and there were a few cars waiting to get out of my lane. I'm on the main road with priority,
> having duly signalled and taken position to turn right into the lane. Obviously I was in Klingon
> cloaking mode due to wearing fluorescent yellow jacket, ankle bands, ponytail band - plus I had
> lighting, plus reflectives on me & on bike ... even though lighting wasn't strictly necessary as
> it was light - most of the mist was gone by now. And me being so slim - NOT
>- I was obviously rendered completely invisible. One guy pulled right out in front of me, then
> zoomed off into the distance and the one behind him tried to. The filthy look I gave him spoke
> volumes. He was so busy looking for on coming traffic, he failed to register that a cyclist was
> right in front of his windscreen .. To turn into my lane I was forced to virtually go in the
> verge alongside it and the look I got from the occupants of the car was on the lines

>Still the view of the wildlife this morning was wonderful.
>
>Cheers, helen s
>

>Cheers, helen s
>

>~~~~~~~~~~
>Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!
>
>Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
>~~~~~~~~~~

On 29 Mar 2003 10:48:42 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>Got up early this morning, grabbed some breakfast & cycled out into the morning mist. It was
>lovely. Very quiet - hardly any cars round the lanes, just the sound of birdsong and that lovely
>sound Campag makes when freewheeling :) Lots of wildlife about - saw some muntjac & some hare,
>doing what hare do at this time of year ;-) There was the usual multitude of pheasants & sheep in
>fields - no lambs yet though. Saw several jays flying about too. Pretty :)

No early rise here - small hangover from last night's meal out. However, finally dragged my
protesting body from the pit, made breakfast (and took same to wife who was still in bed). Then out
to the garage where I finalised the refurbishment of my Oke Ja, thanks to a headset from Jim Price
of this news group. I'd taken a big step and repainted the frame "lawn green" with plastikote. This
had meant a lot of stripping down and sanding, but it looks pretty good. At the crack of noon, Mrs.
Hall emerged blinking into the daylight so I persuaded her we should take a spin upto Horley (5
miles away) to test out the bike and run a few errands. The bike behaved well, towing a trailer,
just a few adjustments needed. However, the highlight came as we cycled home past Gatwick airport. A
stream runs alongside the cycleway and Mrs. Hall suddenly shouted "Strap back! Look!" I looked. A
kingfisher zoomed along the surface of the stream, blue as blue, like it says in the books. Quite
made my day.

Tim

> I looked. A kingfisher zoomed along the surface of the stream, blue as blue, like it says in the
> books. Quite made my day.

Yes, they are lovely - a brilliant jewel blue streaking through the air. I get to see them flying up
and down the stream at the end of the garden during the summer months. The other thing I like about
the warmer months are the bats in the evening. I love going out into the garden in the cool of
evening and being surrounded by bats out hunting. What with liking the bats and having a one-eyed
black cat ...

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

On 29 Mar 2003 16:41:08 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>Muntjac are small deer. See http://www.deer-uk.com/muntjac_deer.htm Here in Norfolk they are very
>common indeed - I sometimes get the odd one in the garden.

I wish they wandered into gardens around my way, the freezer could do with stocking up.

Bob

[email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) of AOL, http://www.aol.co.uk wrote:

>> I looked. A kingfisher zoomed along the surface of the stream, blue as blue, like it says in the
>> books. Quite made my day.
>
>Yes, they are lovely - a brilliant jewel blue streaking through the air. I get to see them flying
>up and down the stream at the end of the garden during the summer months.

In this recent warm(ish) spell I managed to get my act together just once to get out at 8am for a
long ride before work. To avoid the traffic I've worked out a mostly off road route linking up bits
of parks, the road to the tip and the Mersey towpath. This particular morning was still just a bit
misty, with a golden sun peeping through now and then. I really wished I'd taken my camera, as South
Manchester was looking its best, and especially because I saw a kingfisher darting along the river.
I arrived at work at
9.30 with a silly big grin plastered all over my face. Never quite managed to get up early enough
again to ride for more than half an hour though. Sometimes a 1km commute just isn't enough ;-)
--
Character develops itself in the stream of life. Goethe Steph Peters delete invalid from
[email protected] Tatting, lace & stitching page

On 29 Mar 2003 21:20:58 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>http://www.flippyscatpage.com/helensclowder.html attached to various stories.

What the heck is that pink thing round the otherwise noble beast's neck? Just because you need to be
seen after dark, Helen, it doesn't necessarly follow that Waffly Cat wishes to be ;-)

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

< snip >

Neil, where in Durham are you? I'm in Bearpark.

Peter.

"Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> < snip >
>
> Neil, where in Durham are you? I'm in Bearpark.
>
> Peter.

Bottom end of Co Durham Its too hilly up that end, that's haaaard country especially Esh Winning to
Tow Law. Not to mention Crawleyside. I still have nightmares over Waskerley rr Although I must admit
to enjoying the Bollihope climb (south side) One of my favs, love it.

On 31 Mar 2003 22:25:28 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>That is the Holy Ring Of Felis, which carries the Sacred Chalice Of Bast. Obvious - said Sacred
>Chalice saved her life as it contains ID info, and when a couple of years ago, Waffles had a run-in
>with a motor and came off worst -it got us informed by vet within *minutes*, medical care started
>and her life saved. Fang Bast!

As long as it serves a porpoise then it's okay with me.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.