my old pannier rack

congokid

Guest
I've dug my old pannier rear rack out of storage. It's from Nimrod
Products in Macclesfield, and was supplied with my FW Evans tourer which
I bought in 1986.

It's looking a bit grotty and some of the screws are rusty, but it might
clean up OK (photo here:
<http://congokid.com/photos/misc/nimrod01.jpg>).

I'm planning to reattach it to the bike, and get some nice new panniers
to go with it - currently thinking about the Altura Orkney 34 bags.

Before I do I have a few questions:
- some new racks appear to have a different geometry than mine - are
they better for modern panniers?
- will Orkneys fit my Nimrod rack OK?
- do Orkneys come with all the necessary clips? I ask because the Wiggle
site also lists Altura pannier clips separately, but it's not clear if
those are just replacement parts. I've emailed this query to Wiggle as
well
- in my photo, what is the bit sticking up at the back? I'm sure it has
always been there!

Thanks in advance.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

congokid writtificated

> - in my photo, what is the bit sticking up at the back? I'm sure it has
> always been there!

It's for bolting a rear light on the rack, but at some point it has been
bent upwards.

"congokid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've dug my old pannier rear rack out of storage. It's from Nimrod
> Products in Macclesfield, and was supplied with my FW Evans tourer which I
> bought in 1986.
>
> It's looking a bit grotty and some of the screws are rusty, but it might
> clean up OK (photo here: <http://congokid.com/photos/misc/nimrod01.jpg>).
>
> I'm planning to reattach it to the bike, and get some nice new panniers to
> go with it - currently thinking about the Altura Orkney 34 bags.
>
> Before I do I have a few questions:
> - some new racks appear to have a different geometry than mine - are they
> better for modern panniers?

I think that it is safe to say that modern pannier rack come in all sorts of
shapes, sizes and designs.

I think the important thing to consider is whether your choice of pannier is
firm enough at the wheel side not to curn into the wheel with your rack as
many of the newer racks have a squarer frame to them but not all - most of
the better panniers seem to be quite firm.

> - will Orkneys fit my Nimrod rack OK?

Don't know - take the rack to shop and see.

> - do Orkneys come with all the necessary clips? I ask because the Wiggle
> site also lists Altura pannier clips separately, but it's not clear if
> those are just replacement parts. I've emailed this query to Wiggle as
> well

All those that I have seen come complete and ready to go - but I do know
that you can get all sorts of spares for Altura panniers and bags.

> - in my photo, what is the bit sticking up at the back? I'm sure it has
> always been there!

Lamp bracket?

Dave

In article <[email protected]>, congokid
[email protected] says...

> Before I do I have a few questions:
> - some new racks appear to have a different geometry than mine - are
> they better for modern panniers?

If you mean the dog-leg rear stay, that's just to provide extra support
for the pannier to keep it out of the spokes

> - will Orkneys fit my Nimrod rack OK?

They should be fine.

> - do Orkneys come with all the necessary clips? I ask because the Wiggle
> site also lists Altura pannier clips separately, but it's not clear if
> those are just replacement parts. I've emailed this query to Wiggle as
> well

The separate ones are just spares.

> - in my photo, what is the bit sticking up at the back? I'm sure it has
> always been there!

It's for an old-style Ever Ready rear light - someone has fitted it
upside-down and bent it a bit. :)

Rob Morley wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, congokid
>[email protected] says...
>
>> Before I do I have a few questions:
>> - some new racks appear to have a different geometry than mine - are
>> they better for modern panniers?

>If you mean the dog-leg rear stay, that's just to provide extra support
>for the pannier to keep it out of the spokes
>
>> - will Orkneys fit my Nimrod rack OK?

>They should be fine.
>
>> - do Orkneys come with all the necessary clips? I ask because the Wiggle
>> site also lists Altura pannier clips separately, but it's not clear if
>> those are just replacement parts. I've emailed this query to Wiggle as
>> well

>The separate ones are just spares.

Or to fit awkward sized rack tubes.

Orkneys have R+K clickfix fittings and will fit on 8/10/12mm racks
with the standard fittings.

http://www.klickfix.de/gepaeck3e.htm
http://www.klickfix.de/images/beduniv.pdf

In article <[email protected]>, Rob Morley
<[email protected]> writes

>> - in my photo, what is the bit sticking up at the back? I'm sure it has
>> always been there!
>>

>It's for an old-style Ever Ready rear light - someone has fitted it
>upside-down and bent it a bit. :)

Somehow I don't think I'll be getting an Ever Ready Rearguard to fit to
it, so off it comes. I did once have a Rearguard lamp, along with the
matching Frontguard, but someone ripped it off my previous bike when I
left it outside the student union.

Thanks Rob (and Dave, Mark and Phil).

Wiggle also confirmed that the pannier clips offered online are spare
parts.
--

Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, congokid
> [email protected] says...
>
> > Before I do I have a few questions:
> > - some new racks appear to have a different geometry than mine - are
> > they better for modern panniers?

> If you mean the dog-leg rear stay, that's just to provide extra support
> for the pannier to keep it out of the spokes
>
> > - will Orkneys fit my Nimrod rack OK?

> They should be fine.
>
> > - do Orkneys come with all the necessary clips? I ask because the Wiggle
> > site also lists Altura pannier clips separately, but it's not clear if
> > those are just replacement parts. I've emailed this query to Wiggle as
> > well

> The separate ones are just spares.
>
> > - in my photo, what is the bit sticking up at the back? I'm sure it has
> > always been there!
> >

> It's for an old-style Ever Ready rear light - someone has fitted it
> upside-down and bent it a bit. :)

is there any desire for such lights? old red came with front and rear,
not quite sure what to do with them as they are period lights yet i
can't imagine many people useing them.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

In article <1ievdhi.14zkuux14w3hpeN%[email protected]>, Roger
Merriman <[email protected]> writes
>Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:

>> It's for an old-style Ever Ready rear light - someone has fitted it
>> upside-down and bent it a bit. :)

>is there any desire for such lights? old red came with front and rear,
>not quite sure what to do with them as they are period lights yet i
>can't imagine many people useing them.

I found a couple on ebay, so someone must.

After a thief nicked mine off the bike I switched to quick release, or
whatever the equivalent was back then.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
http://congokid.com

In article <1ievdhi.14zkuux14w3hpeN%[email protected]>, Roger
Merriman
[email protected] says...

> is there any desire for such lights? old red came with front and rear,
> not quite sure what to do with them as they are period lights yet i
> can't imagine many people useing them.

I've got a Frontguard kicking around somewhere. I imagine the people
who like old Choppers, Grifters, Bombers etc. might like them.

Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <1ievdhi.14zkuux14w3hpeN%[email protected]>, Roger
> Merriman
> [email protected] says...
>
> > is there any desire for such lights? old red came with front and rear,
> > not quite sure what to do with them as they are period lights yet i
> > can't imagine many people useing them.
> >

> I've got a Frontguard kicking around somewhere. I imagine the people
> who like old Choppers, Grifters, Bombers etc. might like them.

yup probably a idea mind you i have no idea if these attually work..

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

In article <1iex8ml.qrxyv11t176zbN%[email protected]>, Roger
Merriman
[email protected] says...
> Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <1ievdhi.14zkuux14w3hpeN%[email protected]>, Roger
> > Merriman
> > [email protected] says...
> >
> > > is there any desire for such lights? old red came with front and rear,
> > > not quite sure what to do with them as they are period lights yet i
> > > can't imagine many people useing them.
> > >

> > I've got a Frontguard kicking around somewhere. I imagine the people
> > who like old Choppers, Grifters, Bombers etc. might like them.

> yup probably a idea mind you i have no idea if these attually work..

They tended to be very reliable as long as you didn't leave old
batteries in them to rot.
On the subject of collectable bike lamps, how about this one?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140221701631
:)

Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <1iex8ml.qrxyv11t176zbN%[email protected]>, Roger
> Merriman
> [email protected] says...
> > Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <1ievdhi.14zkuux14w3hpeN%[email protected]>, Roger
> > > Merriman
> > > [email protected] says...

> > > I've got a Frontguard kicking around somewhere. I imagine the people
> > > who like old Choppers, Grifters, Bombers etc. might like them.

> > yup probably a idea mind you i have no idea if these attually work..
> >

> They tended to be very reliable as long as you didn't leave old
> batteries in them to rot.
> On the subject of collectable bike lamps, how about this one?
> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140221701631
> :)

ooh thats a real bit of history!

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <1ifcawm.1leh0kr143k75hN%[email protected]>, Roger
> Merriman
> [email protected] says...
> > Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > On the subject of collectable bike lamps, how about this one?
> > > http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140221701631
> > > :)

> > ooh thats a real bit of history!
> >

> Sold for USD 1,735 - I bet the guy was happy, it started at USD 4.00
> :)

ooh thats not bad is it now.

roger
--