My Own Trainer Project

Digging up my own old thread - but I now have the dedicated home trainer up and running as of yesterday. Ended up just revamping the prototype, installing an SRM power meter and had a ride last night. It is very cool! Lots better than the home trainer I was using these past two weeks.

I've called it Thunderbird 7.

I did 30-min at 169W average so that was most gratifying. (Yes it was calibrated at install and ZO checked etc). Being able to pedal at ~ 95 rpm was good too as I was able to sustain a higher power than on the low intertia turbo trainer where I would typically manage ~80 rpm.

2008-06-29_workout.png

The power line still jumps up and down a bit but given I'm running a 100mm crank on the left with a flat bed pedal, that's no surprise.

Of course now I'll need to look into appropriate home training aids to help pass the time. :) I was never much for indoor work before but that will be changing....

I've posted details and some pics of the trainer here:
http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2008/06/thunderbirds-are-go.html

I am still yet to get into the eddy current braking solution. After some actual use, I'll decide whether it'll be necessary. I don't think it'll be long before I do some testing on myself :eek:

I want to reach 1 full hour >150W first.

That's a beautiful trainer I hope it makes chasing the numbers easier for you.

Godspeed

Maybe a bit late for Beijing but hope that puppy gets you on fire for London!

What system do you have to run for AWD in races?

Sooo looking forward to meeting you at Masters Worlds!

I went for the track nuts on my track bike to allow me to use my windtrainer with the Powertap wheel (thanks to your advise on how to set it up for fixxed). As I am training for pursuit so don't need a beefy sprint erg.

Did a Spinnerval DVD which had one legged efforts. I felt like a total schmuck. Will do my own mix of efforts, two legged and totally fixxed gears and cranks from now!

fergie said:
Maybe a bit late for Beijing but hope that puppy gets you on fire for London!

What system do you have to run for AWD in races?

Sooo looking forward to meeting you at Masters Worlds!

I went for the track nuts on my track bike to allow me to use my windtrainer with the Powertap wheel (thanks to your advise on how to set it up for fixxed). As I am training for pursuit so don't need a beefy sprint erg.

Did a Spinnerval DVD which had one legged efforts. I felt like a total schmuck. Will do my own mix of efforts, two legged and totally fixxed gears and cranks from now!
Get a coach Hamish!:p

I haven't thought too hard about AWD. I just wanna race bikes and expect to compete as per normal or as per fitness and fatness allow me to. If I did do AWD I think I'd be classed as LC2. They do 4km pursuits - yuk. 3km is bad enough. And no bunch racing on the track for AWD although I think they have road racing. I think there's a move to change the name to Paracycling. Whatever. It's just racing to me.

Good news today - I had my bike leg attachment fitted by fit guru Steve Hogg and I can go up to a 155mm crank on the left side, which is awesome! I thought I could go a bit longer than 100mm but I never thought it would be that good this early. It won't be long before I can use a normal length crank I'd say. Just gotta lay my hands on a 155mm left crank, square taper, shouldn't be hard, plenty of bmx cranks that length.

I was relieved that clicking in and out of pedal wasn't that hard - I was wondering how I would manage it. I use Campag pro-fit.

I picked up a cheap tv screen and had an unused dvd player/digital set top box about the joint, so I have just about got that room sorted. I'll prob need to get a larger fan at some stage (not capable of generating the watts / body heat for that yet).

My next idea is to get the SRM PCV upgraded with a 2nd data port so I can run workouts with SRM's online facility. I can enter in any workout I desire and it shows on screen what I should be doing, along with what I am doing and time to go for each segment.

online_g.jpg

72d662be8ed1c7af

Who all was part of fabricating and transfering dimensions to the trainer project? Same guy that you mention on your blog that has machined all the other parts?

It looks pretty impressive.

Once you get comfortable riding on the track/road again you will reduce time on the trainer or will you now make the trainer a consistent part of you comeback plan?

Felt_Rider said:
Who all was part of fabricating and transfering dimensions to the trainer project? Same guy that you mention on your blog that has machined all the other parts?

It looks pretty impressive.

Once you get comfortable riding on the track/road again you will reduce time on the trainer or will you now make the trainer a consistent part of you comeback plan?
Different sources for the ergo. I don't know the machine shop personally. A buddy of mine sorted that out.

Rides very nicely, it actually has a bit of "natural" flex to it and is not so rigid to be uncomfortable. I think I need to change the saddle though. I'm a Rolls man myself. Although it might just be my oversized butt at the moment:D

I kind of realised that the trainer will be more of a permanent feature of my training now. Logistically it is a little harder to ride outdoors, certainly solo, which normally made up the bulk of my training. For example, if I get into some strife (it happens!) then I am left out there without a leg I can walk on, so I would be stuck wherever I happen to be. It'll take a while to get used to it but even something as simple as fixing a puncture might be tricky when you don't have a foot at the end of your leg. I won't really know until I'm back outdoors riding.

So training will need to be modifed to suit.

I have a local training ground, Centenntial Park, where I used to do interval work. There are very few cars, it's one way and no stop signs/lights. It's only a 4km loop but plenty good for a solid workout. It will continue to be a key training venue as I can easily drive there and have my walking leg not that far away.

Of course training at the track will be good as that is an more controlled environment and equipment etc is only a few yards away. Learning to do standing starts again will be interesting (as it is my starting leg that was amputated). And track stands :).

Another aspect I am yet to work through is the duration I am capable of riding. OK - I've managed an hour on the trainer after only a couple of weeks back, which is great but there are challenges I'll face that being on the ergo reduces.

For example, the liner that surrounds my "stump" (which is what we call what's left of the leg) quickly fills with sweat, so much that it starts to impede the cycling motion (it actually gets squishy :eek:). On the trainer it's not that hard to stop for a few secs while I clip out, stick the leg up onto the handlebars, roll the liner down a bit and squeeze out the excess. The ergo doesn't fall over when I do that.

Now it might be that my leg get used to the new environment and sweats less over time but it won't stop completely. So I need to consider how to manage that if I am on a longer ride.

There's lots of little things like that. They won't stop me, it's all about working out what I can do and not what I can't.

Hence getting an indoor ergo that I will happily get on, rather than dread.

Alex Simmons said:
Different sources for the ergo. I don't know the machine shop personally. A buddy of mine sorted that out.

Rides very nicely, it actually has a bit of "natural" flex to it and is not so rigid to be uncomfortable. I think I need to change the saddle though. I'm a Rolls man myself. Although it might just be my oversized butt at the moment:D

I kind of realised that the trainer will be more of a permanent feature of my training now. Logistically it is a little harder to ride outdoors, certainly solo, which normally made up the bulk of my training. For example, if I get into some strife (it happens!) then I am left out there without a leg I can walk on, so I would be stuck wherever I happen to be. It'll take a while to get used to it but even something as simple as fixing a puncture might be tricky when you don't have a foot at the end of your leg. I won't really know until I'm back outdoors riding.

So training will need to be modifed to suit.

I have a local training ground, Centenntial Park, where I used to do interval work. There are very few cars, it's one way and no stop signs/lights. It's only a 4km loop but plenty good for a solid workout. It will continue to be a key training venue as I can easily drive there and have my walking leg not that far away.

Of course training at the track will be good as that is an more controlled environment and equipment etc is only a few yards away. Learning to do standing starts again will be interesting (as it is my starting leg that was amputated). And track stands :).

Another aspect I am yet to work through is the duration I am capable of riding. OK - I've managed an hour on the trainer after only a couple of weeks back, which is great but there are challenges I'll face that being on the ergo reduces.

For example, the liner that surrounds my "stump" (which is what we call what's left of the leg) quickly fills with sweat, so much that it starts to impede the cycling motion (it actually gets squishy :eek:). On the trainer it's not that hard to stop for a few secs while I clip out, stick the leg up onto the handlebars, roll the liner down a bit and squeeze out the excess. The ergo doesn't fall over when I do that.

Now it might be that my leg get used to the new environment and sweats less over time but it won't stop completely. So I need to consider how to manage that if I am on a longer ride.

There's lots of little things like that. They won't stop me, it's all about working out what I can do and not what I can't.

Hence getting an indoor ergo that I will happily get on, rather than dread.
well done Alex. Truly an inspiration!