NAHBS is here: Get your fill of BikePr0n!

On Mar 7, 4:45 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 7, 3:48 pm, "[email protected]"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Mar 7, 9:33 am, "Ozark Bicycle"

> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you being sarcastic?

> > > At any rate, I will say this: the Trek 520 design is "grandfathered"
> > > in and goes back to a time when Trek was a much smaller company with,
> > > IMO, a different market in mind (less focused on "racing/high
> > > performance" bikes). Trek has obviously avoided using barends, or
> > > other alternatives, in newer designs even when such alternatives make
> > > sense (e.g., cross bikes, commuter bikes, etc).- Hide quoted text -

> > Merely agreeing that without STI, a bike is disregarded.

> Ah. The "smaller maker satisfied" part is what confused me.
>
> > With new
> > bike touring people, people who have never toured in their life, the
> > Trek 520 is hardly considered because it has bar end shifters. Its
> > talked about because it has been around forever. But quickly
> > dismissed because it does not have STI like the good touring bikes do.

> IMO, a lot of that kind of thing comes from the LBS, where "road"
> bikes without brifters are treated like second (third?) rate goods.
>

> > Not saying the Trek 520 is a great touring bike. For its price, there
> > are several better touring bikes on the market. And equal bikes for
> > hundreds less. Trek is padding its retail price several hundred
> > dollars on the 520 due to it being around forever and the Trek brand
> > name

> What's the MSRP for a 520 these days? $1200 or so? That does seem a
> little on the high side.- Hide quoted text -

$1239.99. http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1432000&f=6

Novara Randonee, Bianchi Volpe, Fuji Touring, Surly Long Haul
Trucker(complete bike from QBP) and probably a few others are all
$200-300 or so less than the Trek 520 and are similarly equipped, if
not better equipped. Cannondale T800, Rocky Mountain Touring bike,
and a few others are all similarly priced to the Trek 520 and are
better equipped.

>From my touring experience, the Trek 520 is a fine touring bike. It

gets you there and back without problems. If you can find one at a
deep discount, consider it. If paying close to MSRP, its overpriced
and there are better values to be had easily.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mar 8, 2:10 pm, "rocketman" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "D'ohBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> >http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2007/shows/nahmbs07/?id=results/nahmb...

>> > D'ohBoy

>> Where can I score some of those sweet textured metal fenders?!? They
>> don't
>> carry those at the local shop!

> Were they Honjo fenders?
>
> http://www.jitensha.com/eng/fndrs_e.html
>
> http://www.jitensha.com/eng/newhammerfndrs_e.html

We have a winner! Thank you!

Y'know, with the *insane* prices that Shimano is charging for their
components these days*, $54 for a pair of beautiful fenders doesn't seem
like that much. I think I am going to pick up a pair of these.

* $375 for Ultegra brifters? Puh-leeze. I called it highway robbery when I
paid $169 for 'em 3 years ago!

On Mar 9, 12:50 am, "rocketman" <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > On Mar 8, 2:10 pm, "rocketman" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> "D'ohBoy" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >>news:[email protected]...

> >> Where can I score some of those sweet textured metal fenders?!? They
> >> don't
> >> carry those at the local shop!

> > Were they Honjo fenders?

> >http://www.jitensha.com/eng/fndrs_e.html

> >http://www.jitensha.com/eng/newhammerfndrs_e.html

> We have a winner! Thank you!
>
> Y'know, with the *insane* prices that Shimano is charging for their
> components these days*, $54 for a pair of beautiful fenders doesn't seem
> like that much. I think I am going to pick up a pair of these.
>
> * $375 for Ultegra brifters? Puh-leeze. I called it highway robbery when I
> paid $169 for 'em 3 years ago!- Hide quoted text -

$70 for the fenders and the hardware to mount them. Still
reasonable. Its ala carte on the hardware.

At the very bottom of the page on the right side are the kits.
http://www.jitensha.com/eng/fndrs_e.html

In article
<[email protected]>,
wrote:

> On Mar 7, 6:42 am, "Ozark Bicycle"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Mar 7, 8:00 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> > > Barends are the way to go. STI/ERGO is way to expensive/complicated/
> > > fragile on a 'steet/commuter' type bike but too many, including
> > > manufaturers, see 'brifters' as essential somehow, when of course they
> > > are firmly in the 'nice to have' catagory

> > Barends, something like Kelly Takeoffs, or something like a
> > thumbshifter on the bar top (with "interupter" brake levers?), all
> > depending on rider preference and use. Brifters assume *everyone*
> > rides on the hoods, which is not always the case.

> I agree with everything in this thread except these two posts. For a
> 'street/commuter' I consider brifters essential (well, maybe really
> nice to have). I'm speaking as someone who commutes across San Diego
> in morning rush hour. The ability to shift quickly is needed to
> accellerate out of a traffic hole. I'm also someone who has a lot of
> bikes, including two with bar-ends. Commuting on those is, in my
> experience, more work and a bit scarier.
>
> I also don't understand why "Brifters assume everyone rides on the
> hoods". STIs (the only brifters I have) are just as convenient when
> riding in the drops. Certainly more convenient than bar-ends, which
> still require me to move my hands from their normal riding position.
>
> I haven't tried Kelly Takeoffs or the like. I would imagine they
> would suit the need for rapid shifting.
>
> For touring, randonneuring, and most other cycling activities brifters
> are in no way essential, IMO. But commuting is a different story.
>
> Speaking only from my own experience.

My style in traffic is to leave the bike in 50/18.
Plenty of acceleration. No problem getting away from
traffic stops. I am never in the wrong gear.
Occasionally I will up shift on a long gentle down hill
run. The geography is all `flats'.