Need a new wheel but don't know where to start

whaines1

Aug 16, 2010
Hi, I am pretty much a cycling novice, I have only decided to start biking because I can't afford to run my caar any more, but I need a new back wheel for my bike and I was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice. It's an old Peugeot racing/road bike. Problem is, I'm not sure about the back gears. For example, can I fit them to any wheel of the right size or is there a specific measurement I need?

Thanks foor any help you can give me.

First thing to look for is wheel size. Mix'n match is possible, but easiest is to replace with exact same diameter - which can be either 630 mm(27") or 622 mm (28", 700C). Changing size can lead to issues with brake reach or frame clearance.
Next thing is drop out spacing, and freewheel/freehub. yours is probably 126 mm, while current standard is 130 mm. For a steel frame this is a manageable issue, if you decide to modernize. You probably have a freewheel, which can be unscrewed and moved to another wheel with a freewheel hub. They're still available.
Better check though. Sheldon Brown-Bicycle Technical Information will tell you how.
If you decide to go for a somewhat more modern design you need to look at your shifters. Friction shifters can deal with anything, but if yours are indexed you really want the shifters to match the sprocket spacing at the back.
If you go for a more modern freehub wheel with a cassette you will need to replace the chain as well.

The cheapest thing to do is to carry over the hub and freewheel over to the new wheel. Have the hub and freewheel checked and overhauled if necessary before they build the wheel around them. If the Freewheel is worn out their cheap at around $35.

Next if you want an inexpensive rim look at Sun ME14A and have it spoked using DT Competition spokes laced 3 cross using brass nipples, use your hub.

Froze said:
The cheapest thing to do is to carry over the hub and freewheel over to the new wheel.
If money is the deciding factor, buying factory-built wheels will just about always be cheaper than paying for a build + materials, even if you are reusing the hub.

dabac said:
If money is the deciding factor, buying factory-built wheels will just about always be cheaper than paying for a build + materials, even if you are reusing the hub.

This is a true statement, but you can no longer find factory built wheels using the freewheel system, they have all gone to the cassette. Therefore switching to a cassette would be more expensive.

The Sun ME14A rim cost an average of $35, the spokes average about $64 for DT Competition (or if he doesn't care about the weight he can get DT Champion spokes for about $44); these spokes come in boxes of 72 at that price, but most LBS's carry a supply on hand and will only charge you a per unit price and not the whole box price I quoted. Labor for assembly is about $35.

Maybe the OP could find a used wheel?