Need advice on bike for self-supported fully loaded touring

supercourse

Mar 5, 2006
Hi,
I have done one tour (Toronto to Montreal last May on a 1980's Raleigh Supercourse 10 speed). Since my knees hurt (couldn't keep cadence up) and an eyelet that holds my rear rack broke, so I'm looking for a new bike.

I am planning on doing self-supported fully-loaded touring from Boulder, CO (moved here 7 months ago) to Chicago, IL this May. I want a bike that can handle this sort of touring and plane/train travel. When not touring, I plan on going on long mountain rides here in Colorado (I have been salivating for the past 7 months about taking weekend trips to Rocky Mountain National Park)

After looking around at my LBS's, I have found the following bikes:
-->> REI Randonee (Cromoly) - $949 (I can get it for about 700 with a 20% off coupon & gift cards)
-->> Trek 520 (Cromoly) - $1239
-->> Bianchi Volpe - $875
-->> Cannondale (Aluminum) 800T - ($1299) & 2000T ($1599)

-->> Surly Long Haul Trucker - $450 for the frame, easily $1500 with mid-range components

I'm very attracted to the REI randonee because it will be significantly cheaper for me... but I want a bike that will last me a while. One plus with the Randonee is that I might have more money to buy better components (i need front panniers).

In the end, each bike seems pretty darn similar, except for the cannondale which is aluminum (yuck!) and much more expensive (double yuck!). Does anyone have advice/suggestions/new things to think about???

Thanks!
Pete

I'm presently riding the Long Haul Trucker you mentioned and yes, I paid arounf $1600 with mid-range compnents. I equipped it with heavily padded randeneur-bend handle bars and a Mt. bike gearing (11-34 rear, 46-34-24 front). It's easiliy the most comfortable bike I've ever owned and I highly recommend it for touring. Be aware however, that the price of all that comfort is that is fairly heavy has a very large turning radius.

supercourse said:
Hi,
I have done one tour (Toronto to Montreal last May on a 1980's Raleigh Supercourse 10 speed). Since my knees hurt (couldn't keep cadence up) and an eyelet that holds my rear rack broke, so I'm looking for a new bike.

I am planning on doing self-supported fully-loaded touring from Boulder, CO (moved here 7 months ago) to Chicago, IL this May. I want a bike that can handle this sort of touring and plane/train travel. When not touring, I plan on going on long mountain rides here in Colorado (I have been salivating for the past 7 months about taking weekend trips to Rocky Mountain National Park)

After looking around at my LBS's, I have found the following bikes:
-->> REI Randonee (Cromoly) - $949 (I can get it for about 700 with a 20% off coupon & gift cards)
-->> Trek 520 (Cromoly) - $1239
-->> Bianchi Volpe - $875
-->> Cannondale (Aluminum) 800T - ($1299) & 2000T ($1599)

-->> Surly Long Haul Trucker - $450 for the frame, easily $1500 with mid-range components

I'm very attracted to the REI randonee because it will be significantly cheaper for me... but I want a bike that will last me a while. One plus with the Randonee is that I might have more money to buy better components (i need front panniers).

In the end, each bike seems pretty darn similar, except for the cannondale which is aluminum (yuck!) and much more expensive (double yuck!). Does anyone have advice/suggestions/new things to think about???

Thanks!
Pete

durability isn't an issue for any of the bikes you've listed. the volpe and the randonee are short on wheelbase and chainstay length. that means that if you've got huge panniers and your feet are large, your heel may not clear the panniers without rubbing. if you'll have fenders up front, in some cases toe clearance could possibly be an issue also. generally, a longer wheelbase (plus lower bb) will contribute to stability and comfort. what it comes down to, clearance issues aside, is that at high speed on long descents, you may get some shimmying with the volpe and randonee. you'll just have to slow down a bit. if this doesn't seem like a big deal to you, the randonee will be fine. many people like all of the above bikes.

philso said:
durability isn't an issue for any of the bikes you've listed. the volpe and the randonee are short on wheelbase and chainstay length. that means that if you've got huge panniers and your feet are large, your heel may not clear the panniers without rubbing. if you'll have fenders up front, in some cases toe clearance could possibly be an issue also. generally, a longer wheelbase (plus lower bb) will contribute to stability and comfort. what it comes down to, clearance issues aside, is that at high speed on long descents, you may get some shimmying with the volpe and randonee. you'll just have to slow down a bit. if this doesn't seem like a big deal to you, the randonee will be fine. many people like all of the above bikes.
Excellent advice!

I'd add to that my own experience touring with an aluminum frame. I had 'pins and needles' in my hands everyday.

Now that philso has pruned your list slightly, and you appear to be from Toronto (I can tell by the accent): Check our Urbane Cyclist on John Street. They also will build you up a bike from their chromoly touring frame.

I have one and I am very satisfied with both it and Urbane.