Need some advice, Mountain Bike on road

Leevis

Feb 25, 2013
Hi All
Not a big bike rider but getting there slowly. I rode my Specialized Hardrock Sport the other day for the second time for 12 miles.
I have a couple of questions for the community,
1. My bottom hurt big style, i have heard that this is common and doesnt hurt as much the more times you ride - is this true?
2. Riding mostly on roads - what tyre pressure should i be running at?
3. Does it really make a great deal of difference riding on a road with mountain bike tyres?
Lee

Leevis said:
Hi All Not a big bike rider but getting there slowly. I rode my Specialized Hardrock Sport the other day for the second time for 12 miles. I have a couple of questions for the community, 1. My bottom hurt big style, i have heard that this is common and doesnt hurt as much the more times you ride - is this true? [COLOR=FF00AA]yes and no, if your saddle is the right one for you and if your fit on the bike is good also, then the pain should diminish and eventually dissappear the more times you ride. [/COLOR] 2. Riding mostly on roads - what tyre pressure should i be running at? [COLOR=FF00AA]checking the tyre with your thumb should be a solid feeling, it depends on the tyre specifications though,[/COLOR] 3. Does it really make a great deal of difference riding on a road with mountain bike tyres? Lee [COLOR=FF00AA]YES, it will slow you down considerably, [/COLOR]

3. Does it really make a great deal of difference riding on a road with mountain bike tyres?
Lee

Riding on paved streets with Mountain Bike Tires is not only slower than using a road bike, but it also requires much more pedaling effort. If most of your riding is on paved roads, then a road bike is much more appropriate. At the very minimum, a hybrid bike with skinnier and smoother tires is recommended. However, using a MTB with skinnier tires will still involve carrying a lot of extra weight for the off-road suspension. Would you buy a dune buggy to drive mostly on the freeway?

Hi Leevis,

1. When you are planning to ride or terrains or rocks or any uneven surface do not be seated on the saddle. When you rest on the saddle the whole shock is concentrated there and hence the bottom ache.

2. When riding on roads it is advisible you maintain high pressures as it causes lower rolling resistance.

3. Upto 15miles apoprox. it really doesnt matter whether it is an MTB or hybrid. Its only after those many initial miles that the effort required is more.

Hope this helps!! <a href=http://www.pmstudy.com>pmp training</a>

Regards,
Kevin

Yes mountain bike tyres will weigh you down and slow you down alot. The lower the pressure the slower you will go also

I just changed out the Michelin mtb tires on my hybrid for a pair of 700 x 32C el cheapo generic-ish something tires with significantly less tread. Last night was my first real ride on them. Speed definitely improved, but at the cost of some stability on rough surfaces. Of course, I had to get stuck taking a detour down about a mile of one of the only gravel roads left in my area, due to road construction, and I did miss the way my Michelins would have powered over the loose gravel and rough patches. I only have to tolerate these for the next six weeks. I'm signed up for 12 sessions on the computrainer, so I just needed something narrower so it fit well and cheap in case they get chewed up. I won't have the Michelins put back on until fall, I still want something a bit smoother for the summer when ice isn't an issue, I like the factory Specialized tires it came with, 700 x 38C with moderate tread.

a proper seat definety helps and thinner tires is the main object for the mountain hybrid theme you seem to be trying to do. on my fuel i have continental town and country 26x1.65 and there real good for the road and light trails like at the park. it helps on speed but gearing is the main issue thats why i am making a bigger gearset. a nicelyset up mountain hybrid with a suspension is a good way to go but later on for the longer rides look for a nice road bike