New Orleans

h squared wrote:

> couple that with last nite i told my boyfriend that tom asked me to
> marry him, and without missing a beat he says, "marrying you would kill
> him."
>
> so, sorry tom, can't take that kind of responsibility/guilt ;)

One of the first signs of usenet addiction. Having conversations with
real life people about your "imaginary" conversations with usenet
friends/enemies. They always look at you sadly like, "Don't you know
those people aren't real?" ;)

On 30 Aug 2005 23:26:41 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>And there's one thing more...I miss the one I care for
>More than I miss New Orleans

Odd thing was, I was listening to 'Biloxi' by Lisa M (and I always get
the last name wrong), a folksinger, coming into work and it was the
first song on the CD going home yesterday. Hit the FM buttom and the
mayor of Biloxi was saying that basically the town was gone.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

<[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...
> At the risk of being crass...is anyone really surprised this happened.
>
> Leviticus fortells the fate of the wicked. If you are going to have
> your French Quarter and your San Francisco then you'll have your floods
> and earthquakes.

Sounds like a good trade to me. What do you suppose will happen to Las
Vegas?

trg wrote:
> Sounds like a good trade to me. What do you suppose will happen to Las
> Vegas?

Fear and loathing perhaps.

Does this Leviticus dude do dope ?

This is the problem as I see it. Most of the low income homes in the
area have been totally destroyed. In order to put in housing for all
these people we can expect to see them putting in large numbers of
"manufactured homes" (read - trailers). Now some of these are REALLY
nice, but they aren't the sort of thing that stand up to the sort of
weather along the Gulf coast. They'll rot out the floors and those big
fat Americans will be falling through and sueing FEMA (that's you and
me BTW).

And none of this changes the fact that New Orleans is on the average 6'
below sea level. All of this will be waiting for the next levy breech,
the next Cat 5 hurricane or the next really hard Mississippi flood that
is just one inch too high.

Well, I'm sure that he knows you better than I. (Pushing Heather away
with an 11' pole.)

Turned on the news for as long as I could take it yesterday (Wow! 10
minutes without Cindy Sheehan telling us that Muclim terrorists were
"freedom fighters"!)

They were showing lots of aerial views of Biloxi and if they weren't
the sort of thing that they did with the Loma Prieta Earthquake, where
there were only three or four relatively small areas of destruction
that were photographed from 100 different directions and played
endlessly on TV leading the rest of the country to believe that San
Francisco and the rest of the bay area was flattened, then indeed -
Biloxi looked completely gone.

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...
> New Orleans has been waiting for this for decades. They could have been
> building the town up but instead they've been pretending that it's
> God's duty to protect them.
>
> Are you ready to pay for their sloth?

Actually, it's GWB's tax cuts and illegal war that we have to thanks for New
Orleans being not being sufficiently protected. But then, what's 25 billion
in hurricane assistance and hundreds of Americans dead compared to hundreds
of billions for Iraq and trillions to the rich in tax giveaway and subsidies
and thousands of dead Americans?

"Yet after 2003, the flow of federal dollars toward SELA dropped to a
trickle. The Corps never tried to hide the fact that the spending pressures
of the war in Iraq, as well as homeland security -- coming at the same time
as federal tax cuts -- was the reason for the strain. At least nine articles
in the Times-Picayune from 2004 and 2005 specifically cite the cost of Iraq
as a reason for the lack of hurricane- and flood-control dollars.

In early 2004, as the cost of the conflict in Iraq soared, President Bush
proposed spending less than 20 percent of what the Corps said was needed for
Lake Pontchartrain, according to a Feb. 16, 2004, article, in New Orleans
CityBusiness."

-
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001051313

"trg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
> [email protected]...
>> New Orleans has been waiting for this for decades. They could have been
>> building the town up but instead they've been pretending that it's
>> God's duty to protect them.
>>
>> Are you ready to pay for their sloth?

> Actually, it's GWB's tax cuts and illegal war that we have to thanks for
> New Orleans being not being sufficiently protected.

So you actually believe that do you? Explain why those levys that weren't
part of that plan also failed? You really don't have any sort of idea what a
Catagory 5 hurricane is do you?

> But then, what's 25 billion in hurricane assistance and hundreds of
> Americans dead compared to hundreds of billions for Iraq and trillions to
> the rich in tax giveaway and subsidies and thousands of dead Americans?
>
> "Yet after 2003, the flow of federal dollars toward SELA dropped to a
> trickle. The Corps never tried to hide the fact that the spending
> pressures of the war in Iraq, as well as homeland security -- coming at
> the same time as federal tax cuts -- was the reason for the strain. At
> least nine articles in the Times-Picayune from 2004 and 2005 specifically
> cite the cost of Iraq as a reason for the lack of hurricane- and
> flood-control dollars.
>
> In early 2004, as the cost of the conflict in Iraq soared, President Bush
> proposed spending less than 20 percent of what the Corps said was needed
> for Lake Pontchartrain, according to a Feb. 16, 2004, article, in New
> Orleans CityBusiness."
>
> -
> http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001051313

By the way - there have been a dozen studies that ALL have said that New
Orleans could NOT be protected from a Cat 5 hurricane.

But by all means use your tiny brain in just the manner that your Liberal
masters command.

RicodJour says...

>I thought you held yourself out to be the pillar of moral rectitude.

He did till he found out it wasn't spelled "rectumtude".

I wonder if any of those looters are smart enough to realize the value of the
equipment in that bike shop?
"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:

>With the Bucktown levee breach yesterday, all of the areas NO cyclists use
>are now under water. A report this morning on nola.com noted that the
>Plantation Coffee House is under 7 feet of water. The Plantation is/was one
>of the favorite places for New Orleans cyclists to sit and socialize after a
>ride. Plantation actually sits on high ground for its neighborhood. That
>means most of the homes near it are probably totally submerged.
>
>As Bayou St. John is flooding now, one of the best bicycle shops in NO, on
>Toulouse Street is probably destroyed--Bayou Bicycles. Charlie and Kyle
>Doer, Mark Manson and Alfred **** are some of the best lbs personnel you'll
>ever meet.
>
>Keep your fellow NO cyclists in your thoughts and prayers today and in the
>coming weeks.

well, now we know- if pennsylvania wasn't such an ass backward
religously fanatical shithole, who knows how many earthquakes and
floods
it would be experiencing now???

you're welcome,
---------------------
pennsylvania is a shithole, it's the kinda place growing up, you just
know it sucks, and you can't wait to get out, Philadelphia is
a bastion of civilization, kinda like Austin in Texas, they aren't
really
part of the state, just this educated non-ignorant enclave.
I spent a few years growing up in PA, and I remember going to
New Orleans while driving across the country when I
was 18, and thinking
this place is so freaking cool, a dozen oysters for $2,
and music everywhere, and some architecture too.
But yeah, I guess PA is protected from hurricanes and floods
and earthquakes by it's very religous fanatical shitholiness.

Carl Sundquist wrote:

> One of the heads of FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) said
> they were looking at 3-5 YEARS of intense rebuilding in the area.
> That's about right from what South Florida went through 13 years ago
> with Hurricane Andrew.
>
> The only slightly bright spot in the whole mess is that the area will
> have a gigantic economic boom in the immediate future with the influx
> of insurance and federal aid money. Construction jobs and retail sales
> will go sky high.

unfortunately, the worst damage will probably be in poor areas,
because that's who lives at the lowest elevations. floods are
terribly undemocratic in that respect, moreso than earthquakes
(or California fires which tend to burn hillside houses).
that's also one reason some people didn't evacuate - even if you
have transportation, for poorer people figuring out a place to go
is an obstacle, you live in a crappier neighborhood so you're more
reluctant to leave your house, and so on.

the other problem is that south florida is generally in fairly
vital economic shape, which helps recover from a setback like
Andrew. New Orleans has been depressed for a long time.

[email protected] wrote:
> well, now we know- if pennsylvania wasn't such an ass backward
> religously fanatical shithole, who knows how many earthquakes and
> floods
> it would be experiencing now???
>

> you're welcome,
> ---------------------
> pennsylvania is a shithole, it's the kinda place growing up, you just
> know it sucks, and you can't wait to get out, Philadelphia is
> a bastion of civilization, kinda like Austin in Texas, they aren't
> really
> part of the state, just this educated non-ignorant enclave.
> I spent a few years growing up in PA, and I remember going to
> New Orleans while driving across the country when I
> was 18, and thinking
> this place is so freaking cool, a dozen oysters for $2,
> and music everywhere, and some architecture too.
> But yeah, I guess PA is protected from hurricanes and floods
> and earthquakes by it's very religous fanatical shitholiness.

Pennsylvania gets tornadoes. and the Johnstown Flood.

but it is said to have the largest rural population of any
state (this was a while ago) - not big open spaces like Montana,
but lots of small towns. that kids want to get out of, or
they turn rancid. and it has completely absurd rules for
buying beer. i guess, if you grew up in a mon valley small
ex-steeltown, you'd want to get out, or drink, or get out and
drink, too. philadelphia is an unpolished jewel, and for a long
time it was affordable, but now that new york expats have
discovered it, it could be going downhill. though philly could
probably never be cool enough to be completely ruined.

ben
from pittsburgh
but everyone left

too. philadelphia is an unpolished jewel, and for a long
time it was affordable, but now that new york expats have
discovered it, it could be going downhill. though philly could
probably never be cool enough to be completely ruined.

ben
from pittsburgh
but everyone left

I gew up in eastern pa, near bethlehem, where you could rent a
8 bedroom victorian house for $500 - because nobody wants
to live there.
it was so shitty that almost anywhere else seemed really good my
comparison,

to this day I can't get over how shitty PA was,
no jobs, no cultural activities other than drinking and having sex
around
little lakes and ponds, teen pregnancy, crime, racism, skinheads,
rednecks that lived in shacks
and married cousins, religous wackos, horrible weather, no decent
coffee, and the schools really sucked
bad, I also grew up in conn and texas, and can actually say the public

schools outside houston TX were very good compared to PA, but conn was
better.
A year ago I saw a TV commercial for PA, it's a state so horrible they
have to advertise - "hey we have jobs, because everyone left, and
the cost of living is really low, because nobody lives here anymore"
It was about all these high tech jobs they had now, and I remember
being really happy that I didn't live there anymore, since then, I've
lived
in three other states, CA, NM and AZ, and they are all a million time
better in every possible way. weather, people, jobs, stuff to do,
coffee, bookstores, everything.
I used to visit pittsburgh to visit my brother, and like philly, you
can't
lump it in with the rest of PA - you have all the good schools like CM
and Pitt and some stuff to do and see and some opportunities,
I'm not that picky or demanding, and I can appreciate the allure of
small towns - in
CO and Iowa and Kansas and places like that I've visited.
But I grew up in a true shithole, a barren wasteland heart of darkness,
take meth and oxycontin all day type place. The people were the worst
part of it - they truly were products of their environment - these
close minded zombie drunk grey looking lifeless people, old before
their
time, quick to get violent, and full of hatred and bitterness.
the county I lived in (which was only 2 hrsfrom philly) had
the highest statistics for in-breeding in the USA, the shack
people literally "kept it in the family" and one family
had like 10 guys in my high school, and they all
had the same mongloid look and dropped out the day
they turned 16, it was like the Peacocks on the X-files
(set in PA for a reason) - if you saw the episode with
the mogloid family spitting food into their moms mouth,
you know what I'm talking about.
going away to college saved my life.

On 31 Aug 2005 23:07:24 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>people are dying, a city is covered in water,
>and you are worried about some crack head stealing sneakers?

No, dumbass, I'm worried about the ones looting gun shops and gun
racks at Waltons and shooting at police.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> No, dumbass, I'm worried about the ones looting gun shops and gun
> racks

"More guns, less crime."

"h squared" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message
de news: [email protected]...
> Mad Dog wrote:
>> Tom Kunich says...
>>

>>>Heather, will you marry me?

>> Tom won't last long, so check out his assets. If nothing else, you'll
>> get a ton
>> of bikes and parts.
>>

> couple that with last nite i told my boyfriend that tom asked me to marry
> him, and without missing a beat he says, "marrying you would kill him."

In that case I'm sure most of RBR would be happy to kick in a substantial
amount for Kunich's dowry. Please reconsider, Heather.

Back in 1995 I was in the Bikesmith shop which later went out of business.
When someone would come in with a bike having presta vales asking how to
work them, the shop would call the police stolen bike line to check the ID
number. More often than not the bike was stolen. But then in New Orleans
anything not nailed down was subject to theft, e.g. airconditioners that
were not protected by iron anti-theft bars.

news:p[email protected]...