• Look

Votes: 198 52.7%
  • Time

Votes: 137 36.4%
  • Speedplay

Votes: 42 11.2%

• Total voters
Originally posted by isdsms
I been thinking about putting new clipless pedals on my bike. (I've been using mb pedals.) I was looking at the shimano PD-R600 and think that would be a good choice for me. Does anyone have any experience with these pedals? Any other suggestions?

Well you forgot Campagnolo.Remember them???????????
I used to use look fixed in 1989 but used to release in sprint. Then switched to Time Criterium pedals butr never got to use them. Next bike had look as well but always released.
Years down the line I am using Campag Daytona and they are fab. Positvie stem in, easy too, very light, 320g per pair and the Chorus and Record models are more upmarket and lighter.
It's an overlooked and great alternative.I would also reckonment 2004 time models.

I like the speedplay zeros. Here in this thread and in many others their benfits have been talked about. One thing that hasn't is the noise factor of various pedals. I have Shimano MTB pedals on my MTB and on my older stanby road bike. Unless you keep them clean and well oiled they get noisy. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but when my machine makes any "off" noises I get worried and it realy bothers me. The look pedals also seem to have this issue as well. Can't tell you how many times I've been in a large group where I get stuck behind some guy with noisy looks. The only noise my speedplays have ever made are the two reassuring clicks when you step into them. I even stopped oiling my cleats several months back and they run fine this way.

Sorry. Forgot to do that weigh job. I'll do it today. I've got my dirty cleats right here, and the clean scales right over there... as soon as no one's watching...

Ritchey V3 WCS weigh around 245/50 g with a SDPR cleat.

I'd like to buy some but they are hard to find.

I'm after lightweight, good system for max $US160.
I'm not committed to look or Shim (both rahter heavy) but I've never seen speedplay (which makes me question any warrenty issue resolution).

Is the SDR SL that much better than SPDR?

Brian

Originally posted by Brizza
...I've never seen speedplay (which makes me question any warrenty issue resolution).
Speedplay's a good company with good distribution, good exposure, a lot of presence on the road (pro and recreational) and customer service as sufficient as any other, in my opinion. The other formats you're looking at are proven systems as well -- but don't discount Speedplay on the basis of not being familiar with them.

They're the real deal.

I got the Shimano R600 SPD-SL Road Pedals about a month ago and they are awesome. They are nicely weighted, so with a little practice you can snap in every time - no looking down and fiddling. Once you are in the fit is snug and the large platform is just right for me.

Honestly, I haven't tried the other brands you listed and I sure they are great too, but I am a happy camper with the Shimanos.

Originally posted by Randybaker99
I got the Shimano R600 SPD-SL Road Pedals about a month ago and they are awesome. They are nicely weighted, so with a little practice you can snap in every time - no looking down and fiddling.

What's your secret?? I'm having a devil of a time getting used to them. I agree that once you are clipped in, they're great - but actually clipping in without looking has proved to be nightmarishly dificult for me. Guess I just need more practice...

i thought the same thing for my first two rides. i realized that i still had the instinctive toe-down first move carried over from the old toe-clip days that was compatible with double-sided pedals, but with the single-sided ones, i keep ending up on the wrong side.

but now, i clip in smoothly about 60% of the time. i noticed that if i just tried to partially pedal to halfway cross a street (purposely trying not to clip in), i often DID clip in. but if i tried to clip in, my foot kepts slipping over the top, and i'd end up having to look down and make sure my foot was right and all. so now, i just try to half-pedal/half-push forward for the first stroke--which is what i do when i just need to get to the median on a wide road, and voila! i clip in!

when i try, i still miss the darned thing.

Sounds like more trouble than folks need, especially in this age of excellent, lightweight, double-sided options...

;)

Originally posted by lokstah
Sounds like more trouble than folks need, especially in this age of excellent, lightweight, double-sided options...

;)

Don't tempt me! A few more nudges and I'll be splashing out on Speedplays...

Originally posted by mjw_byrne
Don't tempt me! A few more nudges and I'll be splashing out on Speedplays...
I was talking about Beebops!

No, only kidding; I'm sure Beebops are great (along with Coombes and M2 Orb Racers), but nothing makes me happier than frustrated cyclists finding their way into the stomp and float ease of Speedplays.

I said don't tempt me!

On a serious note, though - do you know of any practical way to test-ride pedals, other than to find someone who uses them and get them to loan you their bike for a test-ride? I don't know anyone who uses Speedplays (actually I don't know any serious cyclists other than my roomie), so that's not really an option for me.

Originally posted by mjw_byrne
On a serious note, though - do you know of any practical way to test-ride pedals, other than to find someone who uses them and get them to loan you their bike for a test-ride? I don't know anyone who uses Speedplays (actually I don't know any serious cyclists other than my roomie), so that's not really an option for me.
Gosh, I wish I did... I'm sure there are shops out there with pedal-testing programs, but they're probably quite rare. You're just going to have to take my word for it and buy what I say.

:)

Me taking your word isn't the problem - the difficulty is convincing the nice man at the bank....

I read somewhere that putting eggbeaters on a road bike is "distasteful", presumably because they're designed for mtb use. That kind of thing wouldn't stop me using them, of course - I only care about performance and ease of use, but I'm curious about people's opinions on this - are certain combinations of equipment taboo, "just because it's wrong"?

That's a good question, and there aren't any official answers on the matter. You can sort of infer the differences by sifting through the marketing materials and comparing ATB/road models from the same maker... the following trends seem fairly consistent:

When designing MTB pedals, the ultimate goals are the same as with road pedals -- easy, comfortable entry; good ergonomics (float, proper tension, etc), security, and low weight. The only real challenge present that doesn't apply much to road riding is debris, and dirt -- so I've always assumed that a good MTB pedal is designed to function like a road pedal, fighting-off the comprosmises imposed by making the thing dirt-proof.

Look at the top-notch offerings by Time, for instance. Their top-shelf MTB pedal certainly fufills the above demands, in a minimalist design that has got to include some trade-offs over, say, the Mag Impact, which sports a more complex binding mechanism... where increased durability and dirt-resistance aren't an issue, there's got to be greater ability for designers to generate more float, more adjustability, and so on.

Eggbeaters are a good example, from what I can tell. They're designed to be absolutely debris-resistant; the mechanism is so simple, you've got to appreciate the error-proof elegance. But a pair of Eggbeaters will never function as smoothly as a well-tuned pair of Impact Mags, or offer as much float as a pair of Speedplay X2s.

Of course, for most people, good MTB pedals are, frankly, good enough. Even so, unless dirt-riding (or the desire for walkable shoes) compells you towards their tradeoffs, I'd just as soon ride road pedals.

I am a avid Time Pro Equipe Mag. pedal user. This is the same pedal that Big Mig. used to win the tour 5 straight years.... then Biarn Rise.... and Jan Ulrich..... and Pantani !! Ultimate in power transfer , not exactly the lightest pedals in the world... but great durability....... and absolute greatest design hands down.

Also, the Time ATAC MTB pedals I have only heard good things about...... and would be my next MTB pedal , without a doubt. I am currently using Onza HO pedals.... and they do the job good enough :)

I can concur about the Time ATAC, I use them on my commuter bike. Easy to enter and release and very reliable - I've only unclipped accidentally once in about 2,000 miles, and that was with a somewhat worn-out cleat. They also stand up really well to crappy conditions (as you would expect an mtb pedal to). They just work as they should.