New Podium Predictions after first ITT

Klodifan

Aug 26, 2006
I thought I'd add a new thread since the standings have changed quite dramically today. I never would have predicted Valverde cracking. Anyways, I mentioned this in another thread that I just read that Vino says he is back and the indisputable leader of astana. forget about kash and klodi being ahead of him in the gc for now, b/c all will be sacrificed for vino's pursuit of yellow. So instead of a likely team win with kloden, I dont think astana will win at all.

1. Rasmussen or Evans. (either rasmussen will blow the last flat ITT or Evans will crack in the pyrenees losing enough time to fall off the podium)

2. Kloden. (will lose precious time towing vino up the mountain instead of attacking on his own)

3. Vino (by sheer determination and a loyal team he won't have the legs to gain back all his losses, but he will have enough to pass the other contenders.

Wildcard: Valverde, could possibly come back with a vengence after embarrasing time trial.

Your predictions?

You completely forgot Contador. There's no way Valverde will finish ahead of Contador now, not even Levi will do that. Levi might as well start fetching bottles. I think Contador will pull some magic in the Pyrenees enough to get ahead of Evans and Kloden, and then put enough time into Rasmussen in the final ITT to come up the winner. Well thats my long shot anyway. Evans is sitting very good right now, and it is completely within himself to win the tour. Kloden is in a bit of a familiar situation. I hope he tells Vino to shove it and rides for himself.

davidbod said:
You completely forgot Contador. There's no way Valverde will finish ahead of Contador now, not even Levi will do that. Levi might as well start fetching bottles. I think Contador will pull some magic in the Pyrenees enough to get ahead of Evans and Kloden, and then put enough time into Rasmussen in the final ITT to come up the winner. Well thats my long shot anyway. Evans is sitting very good right now, and it is completely within himself to win the tour. Kloden is in a bit of a familiar situation. I hope he tells Vino to shove it and rides for himself.
I agree. I actually see Contador as the favourite now. Well, I guess I did before too, but together with Klöden.

I also put it in the Stage 13 thread, but I see the podium as(in no particular order):

Vino
Kloden
Contador

1. Evans
2. Contador
3. Kloden
4. Vino

Rasmussen will break on the final ITT, and Disco / Astana teams wont let him get away over the next three stages.

Contador to overtake Evans in the next three stages, but Evans to come back in the last ITT for a glorious victory!

Kloden good enough to win it but team tactics will prevent him from doing so.

The race is very unpredictable. I don't think we'll get a good picture of what will happen until tomorrow. Anyway, I'll go for this:

1. Contador
2) Evans
2) Vino

I think Ras will fade. Defending the yellow jersey is different than saving energy during stages so you can go on a long break. The final ITT is does not have the climbs the first one did, so he won't do as well. But you never know; whatever junk he is on is premium stuff.

Contador may be the only one who can go with Vino's attacks. I think he will gain enough time on Evans to hold him off for the last ITT. Tomorrow will be very interesting.

Evans will lose time to the better climbers, but he has a lot of time to lose. 4 minutes on Vino. He just has to hang tough, not have a bad day, and concentrate on losing as little as possible. Horner is on good form so he will have a little help.

Vino will tear the legs off of everyone in the mountains, but he is in a very deep hole. I still won't be too surprised if he stands on the top spot in Paris.

davidbod said:
Yeah, I left Contador out. He was actually in second for my earlier prediction, but just based on a hunch, I think his relative youthful inexperience will keep him off the podium. Top 10, for sure. Top 5, very possible.

Contador is by far the most explosive climber and can also hang with the TT monsters. He's the most dangerous right now. The only thing that can hurt him is his inexperience. Kloden has the advantage over him in that department.

The sleeping giant that needs to awaken is Sastre. He limited his losses well. He can unleash a devastating attack in the mountains to gain back time. He has also traditionally been a week 3 rider.

Rasmussen really raised his TT game, but I think it took too much out of him. Can he sustain repeated attacks over the next 3 stages that are surely aimed at him?

I think Evans and Leipheimer will crack badly and they won't be able to make up for it in the final TT.

Vino still has a lot of time to make up. I don't think the contenders or the pretenders will allow him to get away in the Pyrenees.

Tubbs said:
Contador is by far the most explosive climber and can also hang with the TT monsters. He's the most dangerous right now. The only thing that can hurt him is his inexperience. Kloden has the advantage over him in that department.

The sleeping giant that needs to awaken is Sastre. He limited his losses well. He can unleash a devastating attack in the mountains to gain back time. He has also traditionally been a week 3 rider.

Rasmussen really raised his TT game, but I think it took too much out of him. Can he sustain repeated attacks over the next 3 stages that are surely aimed at him?

I think Evans and Leipheimer will crack badly and they won't be able to make up for it in the final TT.

Vino still has a lot of time to make up. I don't think the contenders or the pretenders will allow him to get away in the Pyrenees.
The way he has been riding I don't think Evans will crack. His biggest problem is that he is going to be isolated and probably have to cover multiple attacks from Discovery and Astana. He may have to buy some friends. I think given the circumstances wheelsucking may be his best option.
I think Contador is a big danger and I have a feeling Kloden hasn't yet played his big hand.

After Astana refuelling, I think that Vino don't need Kloden help, they are going to play the 2 cards, Kloden free, and all others with Vino. So I think Kloden could be the winner.
Disco are back with the old good trick and I think that Contador could be the winner.
The shame is on Rasmussen, voluntary or not he would left the title gone.
Evans has certainly not receive a top refuelleing as his challenger, he would have hard days.
I think that people are trying new products and it could explain why Mayo, Valverde, ... didn't go well in TTT. Like as the Floyd's bonk ?

This was my prediction before the TT

1.Vino
2.Rasmussen
3.Evans

(source nish.co.nr)

These are my predictions after the TT

1.Vino
2.Rasmussen
3.Evans

:) :) :)

Vinokourov will show us why he is the best rider in the tour and why Kloden must wait for him. This team was built by Vino, for Vino, Kloden can HOPE for top 5.

I hope i don't have to eat my words.:D ;)

Evans
Kloden
Vino

Contador - a young bugger in his first Tour will have a bad day.

I just heard Phil call Evans a "master of the time trial". I may have to revise my predictions.:rolleyes:

fscyclist said:
I just heard Phil call Evans a "master of the time trial". I may have to revise my predictions.:rolleyes:
Evans? Bleh!

Such an unpredictable tour! with vino cracking, my predictions are toast!

fscyclist said:

Phil is commenting for an English-speaking audience so he's always going to talk up English-speaking riders (at least he doesn't plug Disco every 5 min as annoyingly as Paul does). The last climb still has to have its say however, given Vino's collapse Evans is no slouch either.

Evans is not quite a master, but he is pretty damned good. He was helped a lot by the climbing in yesterday's time trial.

Actually Evans is only helped by crashes of others and potential DQs.

He has ZERO chance to win w/o lots of external help.

Doctor.House said:
Actually Evans is only helped by crashes of others and potential DQs.

He has ZERO chance to win w/o lots of external help.
Now that I agree with, Doctor!