New tubes with extra long valves

silangdon

Guest
Since I went out on Saturday for a fairly disastrous ride on my new
bike (heavy rain, cold winds, both wheels punctured inside two miles)
I got onto Parkers and ordered a load of new innertubes.

They've got 51mm valves on, (for 700C tyres BTW) which is _really_
long. I suppose some sporty rims are extra deep...

I can't think of any reason why I can't use them? There's no thread to
secure the valve to the rim though. Do you get problems with wheel
balance when you're going fast on a bike?

silangdon wrote:
> Since I went out on Saturday for a fairly disastrous ride on my new
> bike (heavy rain, cold winds, both wheels punctured inside two miles)
> I got onto Parkers and ordered a load of new innertubes.
>
> They've got 51mm valves on, (for 700C tyres BTW) which is _really_
> long. I suppose some sporty rims are extra deep...
>
> I can't think of any reason why I can't use them? There's no thread to
> secure the valve to the rim though. Do you get problems with wheel
> balance when you're going fast on a bike?

No problem at all the weight difference is negligable. I havent used
those nut things to tighten the tube to the rim for years.

Stan Cox

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:00:19 +0000, silangdon <[email protected]> wrote:

>Since I went out on Saturday for a fairly disastrous ride on my new
>bike (heavy rain, cold winds, both wheels punctured inside two miles)
>I got onto Parkers and ordered a load of new innertubes.
>
>They've got 51mm valves on, (for 700C tyres BTW) which is _really_
>long. I suppose some sporty rims are extra deep...
>
>I can't think of any reason why I can't use them? There's no thread to
>secure the valve to the rim though. Do you get problems with wheel
>balance when you're going fast on a bike?

Correct, the longer valve stem is so they can be used with profiled
rims, but they will be fine with your wheels too.

I use them quite often with standard rims and can't say I've ever
noticed undesirable effects on wheel balance or handling while riding.

On the subject of the "missing" thread, many people (me included) will
tell you it's better that way. Using those threaded washers to clamp
the valve to the rim is very often a cause of damage to the tube.
Either when inflating or deflating the tube while clamped, or even
over enthusiastic pumping.

There's no need to secure the valve in that way, it's better to allow
it to move freely and find it's own position.

--

Call me "Bob"

"Let every man make known what kind of government would command his
respect, and that will be one step toward obtaining it"

Henry David Thoreau

silangdon wrote:
> ......They've got 51mm valves on, (for 700C tyres BTW) which is _really_
> long. I suppose some sporty rims are extra deep...
>
> I can't think of any reason why I can't use them?

Cost more (usually) and look funny.

> .......Do you get problems with wheel
> balance when you're going fast on a bike?

No, it's not an issue for bicycles.....

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=brandt+wheel+balance

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:
> silangdon wrote:
>> ......They've got 51mm valves on, (for 700C tyres BTW) which is
>> _really_ long. I suppose some sporty rims are extra deep...
>>
>> I can't think of any reason why I can't use them?

> Cost more (usually) and look funny.
>
>> .......Do you get problems with wheel
>> balance when you're going fast on a bike?

> No, it's not an issue for bicycles.....
>
> http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=brandt+wheel+balance

FSVO of "bicycles". I know the Varna team take considerable effort to
ensure that their wheels are balanced.

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)