Snot filled inner tubes - whats the secret ?

N Cook

Guest
I can see part of it is pumping up after puncture and riding or at least
upturning bike and rotating the wheel to spin the snot around to replace
leakage over puncture hole.
What other tips ? and when do you concede defeat (re-opening
puncture/deflation) and
know there will never be a reliable reseal ?

N Cook wrote:
> I can see part of it is pumping up after puncture and riding or at least
> upturning bike and rotating the wheel to spin the snot around to replace
> leakage over puncture hole.
> What other tips ? and when do you concede defeat (re-opening
> puncture/deflation) and
> know there will never be a reliable reseal ?

Not sure im following. The idea of the snot is you dont have to pump up
at all, its constantly in your tube and it seals as a leak appears,
meaning you never really had a leak. Or at least thats how it is meant
to work. A large split, however, will never re-seal.

N Cook wrote:
> I can see part of it is pumping up after puncture and riding or at
> least upturning bike and rotating the wheel to spin the snot around
> to replace leakage over puncture hole.
> What other tips ? and when do you concede defeat (re-opening
> puncture/deflation) and
> know there will never be a reliable reseal ?

The secret is to chuck 'em in the bin, go back to ordinary tubes and get
more puncture resistant tyres instead.

Otherwise, rely on the snot to seal only the smallest punctures, and patch
the rest with coventional patches.

~PB

Coyoteboy wrote:

> Not sure im following. The idea of the snot is you dont have to pump
> up at all, its constantly in your tube and it seals as a leak appears,
> meaning you never really had a leak. Or at least thats how it is meant
> to work. A large split, however, will never re-seal.

A medium-sized puncture can cause partial/full deflation before the sealant
has time to work.

~PB

On 9 Oct, 23:51, "Pete Biggs"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Coyoteboy wrote:
> > Not sure im following. The idea of the snot is you dont have to pump
> > up at all, its constantly in your tube and it seals as a leak appears,
> > meaning you never really had a leak. Or at least thats how it is meant
> > to work. A large split, however, will never re-seal.

> A medium-sized puncture can cause partial/full deflation before the sealant
> has time to work.
>
> ~PB

yes thats what allways seemed to happen, while it got one home. it
didn't solve punctures, this was off road, so thorns etc.

never seemed to cope with snake bites either.

roger

"Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Coyoteboy wrote:
>
>> Not sure im following. The idea of the snot is you dont have to pump
>> up at all, its constantly in your tube and it seals as a leak appears,
>> meaning you never really had a leak. Or at least thats how it is meant
>> to work. A large split, however, will never re-seal.

> A medium-sized puncture can cause partial/full deflation before the
> sealant has time to work.

Having a son who used to attract the attention of the p*un*ture fairy on an
almost daily basis led to the purchasing of a brace of slime filled inner
tubes before discarding them after three days' worth of use. The glop never
totally sealed larger punctures and the glop was difficult to clean off the
tubes ti ose a patch. They proed to be more trouble than their worth. It
was cheaper in time and effort to have a stock of tubes and swap out tubes
for instant fixes. I could then repair the damaged tubes at my leisure.

Thankfully my son takes more care of his bikes and I've only had to repair
one puncture in the past 18 months.

roger merriman <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 9 Oct, 23:51, "Pete Biggs"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Coyoteboy wrote:
> > > Not sure im following. The idea of the snot is you dont have to pump
> > > up at all, its constantly in your tube and it seals as a leak appears,
> > > meaning you never really had a leak. Or at least thats how it is meant
> > > to work. A large split, however, will never re-seal.

> > A medium-sized puncture can cause partial/full deflation before the sealant
> > has time to work.

> yes thats what allways seemed to happen, while it got one home. it
> didn't solve punctures, this was off road, so thorns etc.

A mate has had great success with 'No-Tubes', and has been using it for
3 years now - he doesnt go easy on his bikes either, he's out regularly
on 6hr/marathon races.
http://www.numplumz.com/Reviews/stans/Stansnotubes.htm
and here:
http://www.notubes.com/

Alan.

vernon said the following on 10/10/2007 06:52:

> Thankfully my son takes more care of his bikes and I've only had to repair
> one puncture in the past 18 months.

Sounds like said son could have done with learning how to fix punctures
at an earlier stage!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Pete Biggs <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> N Cook wrote:
> > I can see part of it is pumping up after puncture and riding or at
> > least upturning bike and rotating the wheel to spin the snot around
> > to replace leakage over puncture hole.
> > What other tips ? and when do you concede defeat (re-opening
> > puncture/deflation) and
> > know there will never be a reliable reseal ?

> The secret is to chuck 'em in the bin, go back to ordinary tubes and get
> more puncture resistant tyres instead.
>
> Otherwise, rely on the snot to seal only the smallest punctures, and patch
> the rest with coventional patches.
>
> ~PB

thats the conclusion i'm coming to , too

A.Lee <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote:

> roger merriman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On 9 Oct, 23:51, "Pete Biggs"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Coyoteboy wrote: > Not sure im following. The idea of the snot is you
> > > dont have to pump > up at all, its constantly in your tube and it
> > > seals as a leak appears, > meaning you never really had a leak. Or at
> > > least thats how it is meant > to work. A large split, however, will
> > > never re-seal.
> > >
> > > A medium-sized puncture can cause partial/full deflation before the
> > > sealant has time to work.

> > yes thats what allways seemed to happen, while it got one home. it
> > didn't solve punctures, this was off road, so thorns etc.

> A mate has had great success with 'No-Tubes', and has been using it for
> 3 years now - he doesnt go easy on his bikes either, he's out regularly
> on 6hr/marathon races.
> http://www.numplumz.com/Reviews/stans/Stansnotubes.htm
> and here:
> http://www.notubes.com/
>
> Alan.

thats tubless rather, which is rather differnt to say slime tubes.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Roger Merriman <[email protected]> wrote:

> A.Lee <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote:
>
> > roger merriman <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > yes thats what allways seemed to happen, while it got one home. it
> > > didn't solve punctures, this was off road, so thorns etc.

> > A mate has had great success with 'No-Tubes', and has been using it for
> > 3 years now - he doesnt go easy on his bikes either, he's out regularly
> > on 6hr/marathon races.
> > http://www.numplumz.com/Reviews/stans/Stansnotubes.htm
> > and here:
> > http://www.notubes.com/

> thats tubless rather, which is rather differnt to say slime tubes.

Yes, but it is used on 'normal' tyres, and makes them almost puncture
proof with few drawbacks, apart from the initial purchase price, which
you'll get back anyway by saving on new inner tubes/patches, as well as
the sheer time saving of having no punctures to deal with.
Alan.

A.Lee wrote:

> Yes, but it is used on 'normal' tyres, and makes them almost puncture
> proof with few drawbacks, apart from the initial purchase price, which
> you'll get back anyway by saving on new inner tubes/patches, as well as
> the sheer time saving of having no punctures to deal with.

I get something like 1 puncture a year on average, which doesn't take
that much time to fix. My rate of usage of inner tubes is somewhat
lower. So while I may get the cost back it will actually take rather a
long time...

The tyres I use (Marathons) are "almost puncture proof with few
drawbacks" to start with, which is why the rate of punctures is as low
as it is. Why go to additional trouble?

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

A.Lee wrote:

>>> A mate has had great success with 'No-Tubes', and has been using it
>>> for 3 years now - he doesnt go easy on his bikes either, he's out
>>> regularly on 6hr/marathon races.

So he hasn't had one single puncture or failure in 3 years? What kind of
tyres? What kind of roads or surfaces? Anywhere where there is much
debris/glass/thorns?

>>> http://www.numplumz.com/Reviews/stans/Stansnotubes.htm
>>> and here:
>>> http://www.notubes.com/

>> thats tubless rather, which is rather differnt to say slime tubes.

> Yes, but it is used on 'normal' tyres, and makes them almost puncture
> proof with few drawbacks, apart from the initial purchase price, which
> you'll get back anyway by saving on new inner tubes/patches, as well
> as the sheer time saving of having no punctures to deal with.
> Alan.

Do you ever have to top up with more sealant? If so, that will be more
expensive than a lifetime's supply of patches.

These two drawbacks mentioned in the review above seem quite serious:

"Messy and needs patience and a compressed air source to set up
initially"

"Some tyres will refuse to mount" [meaning your choice of tyres is
restricted]

I can understand how they would be useful for the kinds of mountain biking
where you need to use very low pressure, but for normal road cycling, pinch
flats aren't an issue when using normal pressure, and the weight saving
would be negligable as inner tubes can weigh less than 75 grams. So that
just leaves puncture sealing. I can't believe any liquid sealant can work
well with anything more than the tiniest of punctures unless there's an
awful lot of it in the tyre.

~PB

Pete Biggs <[email protected]> wrote:

> I can understand how they would be useful for the kinds of mountain biking
> where you need to use very low pressure, but for normal road cycling, pinch
> flats aren't an issue when using normal pressure, and the weight saving
> would be negligable as inner tubes can weigh less than 75 grams. So that
> just leaves puncture sealing. I can't believe any liquid sealant can work
> well with anything more than the tiniest of punctures unless there's an
> awful lot of it in the tyre.

Read Jack Petersons review of 2 similar products in the above link - he
swears by them, and, up until the last time I saw him earlier this year,
he hadnt had one puncture in years - nearly all off-road, during MTB
races and endurance events, inc. 24hr solo racing.
For road use, there isnt much advantage, unless you really are a
puncture magnet.
Alan

N Cook <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I can see part of it is pumping up after puncture and riding or at least
> upturning bike and rotating the wheel to spin the snot around to replace
> leakage over puncture hole.
> What other tips ? and when do you concede defeat (re-opening
> puncture/deflation) and
> know there will never be a reliable reseal ?

One rule of thumb from recent experience.
If you can hear air coming through the puncture , without having to put your
air near any part of the tyre, then it will not form a permanent seal.
Next problem, how to avoid the snot from interfering with patching before
re-use.

"Paul Boyd" <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> vernon said the following on 10/10/2007 06:52:
>
>> Thankfully my son takes more care of his bikes and I've only had to
>> repair one puncture in the past 18 months.

> Sounds like said son could have done with learning how to fix punctures at
> an earlier stage!

Said son is totally mechanically inept.

vernon wrote:
> "Paul Boyd" <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> vernon said the following on 10/10/2007 06:52:
>>
>>> Thankfully my son takes more care of his bikes and I've only had to
>>> repair one puncture in the past 18 months.

>> Sounds like said son could have done with learning how to fix
>> punctures at an earlier stage!
>>

> Said son is totally mechanically inept.

Dump him in the middle of nowhere with a puncture and a puncture kit, and he
would become mechanically competent :)

~PB

In article <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
[email protected] says...
> vernon wrote:
> > "Paul Boyd" <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >> Sounds like said son could have done with learning how to fix
> >> punctures at an earlier stage!
> >>

> > Said son is totally mechanically inept.

> Dump him in the middle of nowhere with a puncture and a puncture kit, and he
> would become mechanically competent :)

Or good at walking with a bike on his shoulder.

A.Lee <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote:

> Roger Merriman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > A.Lee <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote:

> > > A mate has had great success with 'No-Tubes', and has been using it for
> > > 3 years now - he doesnt go easy on his bikes either, he's out regularly
> > > on 6hr/marathon races.
> > > http://www.numplumz.com/Reviews/stans/Stansnotubes.htm
> > > and here:
> > > http://www.notubes.com/

> > thats tubless rather, which is rather differnt to say slime tubes.

> Yes, but it is used on 'normal' tyres, and makes them almost puncture
> proof with few drawbacks, apart from the initial purchase price, which
> you'll get back anyway by saving on new inner tubes/patches, as well as
> the sheer time saving of having no punctures to deal with.
> Alan.

on road with tires such as marthons etc, puntures aren't a problem.
seeing how the lighter weight tires can be litrally slashed open, i
wouldn't trust any fluid to seal, and would reduce the point of light
weight tires, by it's weight.

off road you can reduce the pressure but they are by no means "proof"
and for the time being i stick to tubes that i can repare and pump back
up in a jiffy.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com