Newspaper Campaigns Against Cyclists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zzapper

Hi, I'm a 50 year old owner of two cars, but usually pop into town on my bike, liberating thus
roadspace and a parking space for others, and gaining a bit of fitness for me.

The other day on an inner-town cul-de-sac little used by vehicles, I was forced onto the pavement by
a car with a wide trailor. I must have shouted out , but have no memory of this. The car stopped and
a middle-aged man, far from commiserating, shouted off a load of obscenities at me. Taken a back I
timidly suggested that he should watch out for cyclists, he then turned purple and shouted he paid
tax and had rights . I called him a w**ker, and that was the end of it.

Such was HIS moral indignation, however, that I was set to thinking that he must have recently
read an article which my fanciful imagination would see entitled "Cyclists all degenerates and/or
asylum seekers".

I don't buy a newspaper but could easily image the ever loathsome Daily Mail writing such stuff.

Can anyone confirm/deny?

Originally posted by Zzapper
Hi, I'm a 50 year old owner of two cars, but usually pop into town on my bike, liberating thus
roadspace and a parking space for others, and gaining a bit of fitness for me.

The other day on an inner-town cul-de-sac little used by vehicles, I was forced onto the pavement by
a car with a wide trailor. I must have shouted out , but have no memory of this. The car stopped and
a middle-aged man, far from commiserating, shouted off a load of obscenities at me. Taken a back I
timidly suggested that he should watch out for cyclists, he then turned purple and shouted he paid
tax and had rights . I called him a w**ker, and that was the end of it.

Such was HIS moral indignation, however, that I was set to thinking that he must have recently
read an article which my fanciful imagination would see entitled "Cyclists all degenerates and/or
asylum seekers".

I don't buy a newspaper but could easily image the ever loathsome Daily Mail writing such stuff.

Can anyone confirm/deny?

The problem I see is that you assume that he can read!

Then I was thinking that you can always run the line that cars and trucks are heavily subsidised forms of transport but I guess from your description that he may not have understood that either

zzapper wrote:

<snipped>
>
> The other day on an inner-town cul-de-sac little used by vehicles, I was forced onto the pavement
> by a car with a wide trailor. I must have shouted out , but have no memory of this. The car
> stopped and a middle-aged man, far from commiserating, shouted off a load of obscenities at me.
> Taken a back I timidly suggested that he should watch out for cyclists, he then turned purple and
> shouted he paid tax and had rights . I called him a w**ker, and that was the end of it.
>
<snipped>

It really pi$$es me off when motorists whine about having rights. They don't, they have privileges
and responsibilities. If it was a right to drive you wouldn't need a licence. And as far as taxes go
- my council tax goes torwards the upkeep of local roads.

"zzapper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Such was HIS moral indignation, however, that I was set to thinking that he must have recently
> read an article which my fanciful imagination would see entitled "Cyclists all degenerates and/or
> asylum seekers".

He is driving under the influence of Tony Parsons, a serious offence for which the standard penalty
is removal of the goolies using a blunt saw.

The idea that rights are somehow there by right of purchase is a poisonous one which was correctly
identified as a potential weakness of motoring taxes by Winston Churchill, arguing aganst the
introduction of the Road Fund.

The truth is that we are on the road by right of way, whereas the drivers are there under licence -
a licence which can be revoked for behaviour of the type you witnessed. I would report him, if I had
a note of the number - otherwise a nicely satirical letter to the local paper might help.

--
Guy
===

WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after posting.
http://www.chapmancentral.com

>He is driving under the influence of Tony Parsons, a serious offence for which the standard penalty
>is removal of the goolies using a blunt saw.

Oh now, rusty, blunt and bacteria riddled scalpel at the very least, Guy. Followed by a slabbing.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email Mail sent to it is dumped My correct one can be gleaned from
h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**$s$@*$$a**$*ol*$*.*$$c$om*$ by getting rid of the
overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

>The truth is that we are on the road by right of way, whereas the drivers are there under licence -
>a licence which can be revoked for behaviour of the type you witnessed. I would report him, if I
>had a note of the number - otherwise a nicely satirical letter to the local paper might help.

I can't believe I didn't get his number, but as a warning to other cyclists, when this kind of thing
happens, it happens so fast, you need to have pre-programmed yourself to react correctly.

zzapper
--

vim -c ":%s/^/WhfgTNabgureRIvzSUnpxre/|:%s/[R-T]/ /Ig|:normal ggVGg?"

http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=305 Best of Vim Tips

On 17 Sep 2003 01:58:56 -0700, [email protected] (zzapper) wrote (more or less):

>Hi, I'm a 50 year old owner of two cars, but usually pop into town on my bike, liberating thus
>roadspace and a parking space for others, and gaining a bit of fitness for me.
>
>The other day on an inner-town cul-de-sac little used by vehicles, I was forced onto the pavement
>by a car with a wide trailor. I must have shouted out , but have no memory of this. The car stopped
>and a middle-aged man, far from commiserating, shouted off a load of obscenities at me. Taken a
>back I timidly suggested that he should watch out for cyclists, he then turned purple and shouted
>he paid tax and had rights .

And with every right there comes corresponding responsibility.

Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122
Smalltalk links (harvested from comp.lang.smalltalk) http://html.dnsalias.net/gawnsoft/smalltalk

I have had exactly this problem - a **** of a motorist cutting me up and then saying he paid tax and
I should get out of his way. I told him that I

three months ago and I got shouted down. OSB

"zzapper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I'm a 50 year old owner of two cars, but usually pop into town on my bike, liberating thus
> roadspace and a parking space for others, and gaining a bit of fitness for me.
>
> The other day on an inner-town cul-de-sac little used by vehicles, I was forced onto the pavement
> by a car with a wide trailor. I must have shouted out , but have no memory of this. The car
> stopped and a middle-aged man, far from commiserating, shouted off a load of obscenities at me.
> Taken a back I timidly suggested that he should watch out for cyclists, he then turned purple and
> shouted he paid tax and had rights . I called him a w**ker, and that was the end of it.
>
> Such was HIS moral indignation, however, that I was set to thinking that he must have recently
> read an article which my fanciful imagination would see entitled "Cyclists all degenerates and/or
> asylum seekers".
>
> I don't buy a newspaper but could easily image the ever loathsome Daily Mail writing such stuff.
>
> Can anyone confirm/deny?

Status
Not open for further replies.