Not fit enough to ride to work

Bleve said:
flyingdutch wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
> >

> > Some perspective, I'm trying to get my mum to ride, she can't ride a
> > bicycle, so we're looking at some other HPV (probably a tricycle of
> > some form) - so I'm not just making this up, I've done my homework.
> > She has good intentions (as we all do) of riding, but weaning her off
> > her car is not a case of making the HPV work, that's the easy part.
> > The cost of a custom made HPV for her is still less than 3 months of
> > regular car use.

> http://tinyurl.com/mlqqb

Nifty, thanks FD :)

I know someone who used one of these trikes whilst recovering from a head injury. I think she has it for sale now. I'll check.

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on 30 Apr 2006 17:46:46 -0700
> Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:
> > There's heaps, you're just not looking, and then blaming the shops who
> > want to sell high margin or high price stuff for catering to their
> > market.

> Oh they sell it, that's true, and for that reason, also true.
>
> But if they aren't out there being obvious, then most people aren't
> going to think about them, let alone buy them.
>
> How would people start to think about these things?

This is what BV (or BNSW etc) is supposed to do. Ride to work days,
school programs etc, but we're getting confused between the
availability of generic utility bikes and bikes as transport. One is a
subset of the other (sorta)

The LBS's won't do it, it's not worth their time to do it on a large
scale - *especially* as this is about cheap shitters that if they get
popular, will get sold by kmart etc and the LBS won't benefit from it
(except to fix the k-mart shitters all the time, and cop flak from
punters whinging that the repairs cost more than the bike!).

> > And yes, most people drive because it's easy. There's *nothing* we can
> > do about that except to make it harder for them to drive. We can't
> > make bikes easier to ride, 150 years of bicycle evolution has topped
> > out, HPV's are as advanced as they can get and have been for decades -
> > all that changes now is a few grams here and there on racebikes.

> I agree with that too, but there has to be incentive both ways.
> people will keep driving while driving is easy, but they also won't
> think about not-driving while there's no obvious alternative.

For what it's worth, I doubt that most joe averages don't think bikes
are viable, I think joe is just lazy (or some more politically correct
expression for the same thing :) ) Joe does what's easiest that he can
afford. Cars are easy. And, really, for doing the shopping, on a
dark, cold and rainy evening after work with 2 kids or a hot day with a
nasty northerly and you want the icecream to get home without melting,
cars *are* easy and bikes are hard. Always will be until petrol gets
unfeasably expensive. Airconditioning, heating ... a big boot ... etc
etc. Cars win for most people purely on the fact that they're
comfortable in any weather and don't get upset by hills. Heck, I'm a
loony cyclist and today I rode my motorbike to work ... it's easier and
I felt lazy and didn't feel I had the legs to make it up the hill to
get home. Tonight I'm scunging a lift to the shops in a friends car to
get some big, awkward stuff and it'll be cold and wet and I don't feel
like riding and towing stuff around.

> There's got to be a tipping point somwhere, where enough people and
> machines are seen that bikes are on the agenda, even if at the bottom,
> rather than not on the agenda at all.

I don't think that bikes have ever been invisable or not considered
viable by a lot of people, just that cars are easier. Bikes are on the
agenda, which is why we're awash with bike lanes, bike paths etc. This
is why city councils are trying to find ways to get less people
driving, they know that they can't just keep making roads bigger and
carparks bigger anymore.

> Chicken and egg I suppose - won't get lots of people riding as transport
> without having lots of people riding as transport.

Lots of people *do* ride as transport. I can't make any observations
about where you live, but here, in my office, 50% of the staff ride to
work. Around here (Southbank, Melbourne) a -lot- of people ride to
work. A lot of my friends ride places rather than drive when they can.
I go to client sites and am often pleasantly suprised to see bikes
parked all over the place by commuters. One of my clients (who I would
have -least- expected to be full of commutter cyclists) has a 10%
cyclist commuter poplulation. Most of my friends ride to work at least
when the weather's good.

> It's a major change of culture, to have a significant number of people
> think of bikes as transport.

So here's an interesting one, Dutchy et al talk about how much more
people ride in Europe than here (Amsterdam etc). Why is that? Is it
the lanes and the support, the very high cost of petrol? The higher
population density so everyone's closer to where they work? The nice
cycling weather? What's fuel a litre in Holland? I believe it's around
twice what it is here? Cars are a luxury, and if they're very
expensive, they're a luxury less people can afford. Our unsustainable
credit fueled outer suburban growth is part of the problem too. My Dad
lives 50km from where he works, because at the moment he can afford the
fuel. Not sustainable ...

TimC said:
Dude! Northcote has far more upmarket hardwaste than Chadstone.

Nope! North Fitzroy. Pity about the rain yesterday, there were several damn good lounge suites that simply required a decent clean or possible reupholstery. Also scored a beautiful carved wood chair, and a shopping trolley, which we were thinking of buying. As I mentioned, would needs Ikea in this wasteful society?

On 1 May 2006 02:21:50 GMT, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> http://www.stitesdesign.com/hpv_chameleon.htm

Very nice, just don't show her this bit -

"The reality is that riding an HPV in high density urban traffic is
inherently dangerous."

and the claim - "The Chameleon ECO is very lightweight - 57 lbs. or less".
Well I suppose "lightweight" is relative :)

Graeme

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 1 May 2006 10:54:35 +0800
Graeme Dods <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 1 May 2006 02:21:50 GMT, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
>
> "The reality is that riding an HPV in high density urban traffic is
> inherently dangerous."

I wonder if that's "I believe this" or "my lawyer said to say so"....

> and the claim - "The Chameleon ECO is very lightweight - 57 lbs. or less".
> Well I suppose "lightweight" is relative :)

Hmm.. even if you say it's 1 and a half bikes it's not going to win
any weight weenie competition!

Zebee

Dancier wrote:
<Snipped for brevity>

> I see a guy riding through Oakleigh with an Xtracycle some mornings. I
> thought it was something he made up himself. I know better now.

Damn, And I thought I had the only one....

PeteB

"Bleve" wrote

> So here's an interesting one, Dutchy et al talk about how much more
> people ride in Europe than here (Amsterdam etc). Why is that? Is

it
> the lanes and the support, the very high cost of petrol? The higher
> population density so everyone's closer to where they work? The nice
> cycling weather? What's fuel a litre in Holland? I believe it's

around
> twice what it is here? Cars are a luxury, and if they're very
> expensive, they're a luxury less people can afford.

Saudi Arabia has just announced a new price for petrol for local
consumption. Reduced to $A0.21 a litre from $A0.31 a litre.
So what is the real cost of petrol?

Theo

"Euan" wrote
> Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> > How many druggies who steal do you know?
> >
> > The ones I know are quite knowledgeable about what they can get

money
> > for and what they can't.

> So because the ones you know know something about bikes we're to

assume
> that all druggies who steal do?

How many bikes do you think someone has to steal before they find out
that some are worth $1000 and some are worth $5?

Two?

Theo

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Terry Collins Wrote:
>>
>> Just look for the ejects on council rubbish collections. Many seem to
>> just require new tyres and tubes and a bit of oil.

> Speaking of such, we just returning from hardwaste *shopping*. Picked
> up a Sturmey 3-speed hub + gear lever still attached by cable, will
> later clean off the grime to find the model / year of manufacture.
> Amongst other treasures found, we also picked up the *perfect shelf*
> for scanner/printer/computer stuff, plus a virtually brand new
> replacement for my old office chair that finally gave up this week.
> Incidentally, the old office chair was picked up via another hardwaste
> about 4-5 years ago. Who needs Ikea huh? :D
>

> --
> cfsmtb

Ooh, jealous. I'd rather like a SA equipped shopping/station bike and I know
someone else who'd like one as well. I might have to start trolling ebay or
something.

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> Saudi Arabia has just announced a new price for petrol for local
> consumption. Reduced to $A0.21 a litre from $A0.31 a litre.
> So what is the real cost of petrol?

When I was in the Falklands there was no duty on fuel. It cost
seventeen pence a litre. At the same time I think it was around about
85 pence a litre in the UK.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

Theo Bekkers said:
...snip...

So what is the real cost of petrol?

Theo
a polluted planet, and too many deaths on the road

plus...under utilisation of more efficient less polluting means of transport.

the obverse question is...can we really afford cheap fuel ?

petrol is expensive for a lot of reasons, many political, some mere revenue driven, others social...and in Australia, apart from excise, margins and claimed transport costs there is also GST as we only know too well...all GST on Fuel goes to the States, they arn't clammering for the GST to be removed, are they.... do we hear them crying out when the bowser price of fuel goes up...not very loudly!....

The world parity pricing policy is questionable, at the end of the day, we as a society have to be more resourceful, less wasteful and move away from our over use of the motor car for our convenience...if along the way the price of fuel rises, as it continues to do across Australia, for whatever reason, it just might be a good thing.

"rooman" wrote
> Theoa polluted planet, and too many deaths on the road

The price of petrol causes road deaths?

> plus...under utilisation of more efficient less polluting means of
> transport.

> The world parity pricing policy is questionable, at the end of the

day,
> we as a society have to be more resourceful, less wasteful and move

away
> from our over use of the motor car for our convenience...if along

the
> way the price of fuel rises, as it continues to do across Australia,
> for whatever reason, it just might be a good thing.

I agree on some of that but, when the price of fuel goes up, the price
of everything goes up, even bicycles.

Theo

Bleve wrote some interesting stuff

My brother in law (WHo I like MUCH more than my sister) just started
riding in from essendon to southbank. In spite of my telling him so for
a year or so he was amazed that it was quicker than the car.

I am very pleased. He has been doing it for a couple of months and like
most of us doing it about 4 days a week. Its paying of in fitness and
cost. Its interesting that he knew it would be doable but was still
amazed that it was doable if you see what I mean. Also interesting how
much his attitude to cyclists and to drivers has changed. He WAS a
prado driver.

Dave

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> "rooman" wrote
> > Theoa polluted planet, and too many deaths on the road

> The price of petrol causes road deaths?

Indirectly, yes. When petrol's cheap, everyone drives. When
everyone's driving, they set about killing eachother with reckless
abandon in their cars.

> > plus...under utilisation of more efficient less polluting means of
> > transport.

> > The world parity pricing policy is questionable, at the end of the

> day,
> > we as a society have to be more resourceful, less wasteful and move

> away
> > from our over use of the motor car for our convenience...if along

> the
> > way the price of fuel rises, as it continues to do across Australia,
> > for whatever reason, it just might be a good thing.

> I agree on some of that but, when the price of fuel goes up, the price
> of everything goes up, even bicycles.

Really?!

Resound wrote:

> "Vincent Patrick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> p.s. Did I say that I hate flat handlebars?

> There's plenty of cheap second-hand bikes about with dropbars. Get an old
> tourer with racks front and rear. Also, just because it doesn't look bling
> doesn't mean that it can't be a good bike. There aren't many people who
> are going to recognise a decent pair of Suntour Superbe hubs for what they
> are.

Nice idea - I had been thinking about old Kmart or similar clunkers and not
about an ancient road bike or tourer. An old tourer with racks sounds quite
appealing to me.

Cheers,

Vince

"Bleve" wrote
> Theo Bekkers wrote:

> > I agree on some of that but, when the price of fuel goes up, the

price
> > of everything goes up, even bicycles.

> Really?!

National Foods, who supply a very large percentage of your groceries
and mine, yesterday announced a price rise of 3% on most of their
products. Reason was increased freight costs due to fuel prices.

Theo

On Thu, 04 May 2006 23:45:24 +0000, Theo Bekkers wrote:

> Reason was increased freight costs due to fuel prices.

<cynic>
*Claimed* reason
</cynic>

Just like petrol companies who mysteriously suffer huge cost blowouts the
week before public holidays.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
There are some things so serious you have to laugh at them. - Niels Bohr

Theo Bekkers said:
"Bleve" wrote
> Theo Bekkers wrote:

> > I agree on some of that but, when the price of fuel goes up, the

price
> > of everything goes up, even bicycles.

> Really?!

National Foods, who supply a very large percentage of your groceries
and mine, yesterday announced a price rise of 3% on most of their
products. Reason was increased freight costs due to fuel prices.

Theo
well ?

the price of bicycles , especially high end carbons has been tumbling, a few years ago it cost 4-5K for an alloy custom, now same bike is at least a $1,000 less and the quality of components far better.

Corporates are happy to claim fuel costs as their reason to raise prices, rarely do they drop prices when fuel costs ease.

This is anecdotal, but blind freddy knows) whilst fuel has gradually increased in dollar cost ( not necessarily value, as that is artificially set) the cost to most consumers of consumable goods in the last 10 years has tumbled...especially with white goods, home electronics, and a host of manufactured goods.

I do not have a problem with fuel costs being at a level where motorists think twice about their transport alternatives, rather than blindly using the car for short trips they could have walked or cycled...and also raising their own awareness to alternative forms of transport...creating that cultural shift.

It is all about what happens in the head of the individual and if a subtle hint doesnt work ( cycling is good for you-ride to work-discover paths days) then a sledge hammer just might help ( press statement fuel will be over $1-50 / l by Christmas)

mull it over general populace and see how your grey matter and white matter processes the info for an outcome for you.

"rooman" wrote
> Theo Bekkers Wrote:

> > National Foods, who supply a very large percentage of your

groceries
> > and mine, yesterday announced a price rise of 3% on most of their
> > products. Reason was increased freight costs due to fuel prices.

> well ?
>
> the price of bicycles , especially high end carbons has been

tumbling,
> a few years ago it cost 4-5K for an alloy custom, now same bike is

at
> least a $1,000 less and the quality of components far better.

> This is anecdotal, but blind freddy knows) whilst fuel has gradually
> increased in dollar cost ( not necessarily value, as that is
> artificially set) the cost to most consumers of consumable goods in

the
> last 10 years has tumbled...especially with white goods, home
> electronics, and a host of manufactured goods.

Nothing to do with economies in production? Maybe your carbon bike
would be even cheaper if fuel was at the level it was 10 years ago?
Can you show me where the price of grown foods have tumbled in the
last ten years?

> I do not have a problem with fuel costs being at a level where
> motorists think twice about their transport alternatives, rather

than
> blindly using the car for short trips they could have walked or
> cycled...and also raising their own awareness to alternative forms

of
> transport...creating that cultural shift.

I don't have a problem with people thinking about being more
efficient, be it in transport, electricity consumption, or whatever.
You will not, however, see me jumping with joy everytime the price of
petrol goes up.

Theo