Numb Feet and Sore Toes!

LindaNo1

Jun 30, 2005
Does anyone suffer with this problem as well? I recently got a new bike with a different style of pedals. My last bike had metal pedals and these ones are firm plastic. I thought this would make a difference. I only have to be cycling for about half a hour and then my feet go numb and I get really sore toes, as above!

I have tried different shoes, thicker soles, thinner soles, socks, no socks, etc. Moving the saddle has made no difference either.

It is really starting to spoil an otherwise enjoyable past-time!

LindaNo1 said:
Does anyone suffer with this problem as well? I recently got a new bike with a different style of pedals. My last bike had metal pedals and these ones are firm plastic. I thought this would make a difference. I only have to be cycling for about half a hour and then my feet go numb and I get really sore toes, as above!

I have tried different shoes, thicker soles, thinner soles, socks, no socks, etc. Moving the saddle has made no difference either.

My toes almost always go numb when I'm riding, and I've never figured out why. Thankfully they don't hurt, though, so I'm not as bothered by it. I'll be interested to see if anyone else reading this knows what's happening here!!

spacefuzz said:
could be tight shoes or pedaling with the wrong part of your foot. my toes went numb when i had my cleats adjusted too far forward of the ball of my foot.

another thread

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t234750-.html
Thanks for that thread! Seems I am not the only one after all ... I will maybe have to get the pedal and shoe combo. But there's going to all that expense and if it doesn't work, well ... (besides my husband would probably kill me!!)

LindaNo1 said:

I have the same problem! I'm going to try bike sandals. I ride the BRAG in the summer and after about 2 hours of riding my feet and toes are killing me.

First, check your crank length. Most ladies need a shorter crank, say 160mm or 165mm.

Next check the seat, too low or too far back.

Next check the foot position on the pedal, have the ball of the foot over the pedal axle. A Strapless Toe Clip will help locate the foot in the same position each time without that trapped foot feeling.

Next shoe size, wider is better, like running shoes, try cycling in your runners. :)

Next, cadence, are you pedaling fast enough, 80-85 rpm is good, 90 is better, keep the loading light, a smooth fast flowing action is easier on the feet and legs. Use all the gears.

LindaNo1 said:
Thanks for that thread! Seems I am not the only one after all ... I will maybe have to get the pedal and shoe combo. But there's going to all that expense and if it doesn't work, well ... (besides my husband would probably kill me!!)
I have a new bike - a Giant TCR2 and now my knees hurt when I ride. I have not had this problem in the past.

Hello, this thread is raising it's head again!

Well, I invested in some Shimano bog standard cycling shoes, which really helped! Then my feet started slipping on my plastic pedals when my bike was going through grass, or there was a spot of rain. So I purchased some Wellgo pedals to fit the shoes. Did the falling off bit - ouch - and that was just in my back garden trying them out!! My foot came out the left one, which was good, but I couldn't disengage the right one and, with the pulling action to the right, crashed to the ground!!

So, first time out on a ride with the new combo and, guess what, feet are hurting again!!! ARRRGH, I can't win! So I obviously need to adjust summat!

Linda :)

LindaNo1 said:
So I purchased some Wellgo pedals to fit the shoes. Did the falling off bit - ouch - and that was just in my back garden trying them out!! My foot came out the left one, which was good, but I couldn't disengage the right one and, with the pulling action to the right, crashed to the ground!!

So, first time out on a ride with the new combo and, guess what, feet are hurting again!!! ARRRGH, I can't win! So I obviously need to adjust summat!

Linda :)
Your post brought back memories of when I first went to clipless. Fell at a red light in front of some cars. Bet they had a good laugh.

Your feet are probably swelling after you start riding. Adjust the tightness of your straps or laces on your shoes and that should help. At least that was my problem. Also, every 15 minutes or so do some pedeling where you only pull up instead of push down. Helps relieve pressure on the bottom of your feet and gets the blood flowing better.

Hope this helps. Sore feet can really put an end to your ride.

gclark8 said:
First, check your crank length. Most ladies need a shorter crank, say 160mm or 165mm.

Next check the seat, too low or too far back.

Next check the foot position on the pedal, have the ball of the foot over the pedal axle. A Strapless Toe Clip will help locate the foot in the same position each time without that trapped foot feeling.

Next shoe size, wider is better, like running shoes, try cycling in your runners. :)

Next, cadence, are you pedaling fast enough, 80-85 rpm is good, 90 is better, keep the loading light, a smooth fast flowing action is easier on the feet and legs. Use all the gears.
Cadence has an effect on foot numbness? I went for an extra long ride today and found my feet getting numb after a while but thought it was because I normally do not cover so much distance in a stretch. I did notice my cadence was fairly low at times, far lower than I'm used to doing. I have been keeping it at 90 - 100, sometimes more lately but noticed I was going under 80 once in a while today. I wasn't tired, it was just extremely windy also I was taking it a bit easy, I had a lot on my mind. I also had a bit of saddle soreness at the very end - of the ride. :rolleyes:

tjodit said:
Your post brought back memories of when I first went to clipless. Fell at a red light in front of some cars. Bet they had a good laugh.

QUOTE]

Yeah, I must admit I did have that worry in the town when I was starting out so I used the flat side of the pedal (they are those dual use ones). Then when I was out I practiced disengaging, making sure there was a grass verge to the side when I did, just in case! :D

I certainly will try your suggestions when and if I ever get out on my bike again this year. The weather has taken a real turn for the worse. Wind, torrential rain, etc. (Well it is autumn/fall and fast approaching winter AND it is Scotland!)

Shoes with a serious arch support, including a metatarsal pad will usually do the trick. Finn comfort shoes have them.($250.00+) Birkenstock arch supports have them. ($55.00+) The full length birkenstock arch support has the most aggressive metatarsal. The problem is that on each downstroke, you flatten out the metatarsal arch. The nerves get pinched, thus the numbness.

I can only think that foot/toe numbness must be caused by a shoe not being right for you somehow. It's not normal to have numb feet!
I rode a woman's so-called "comfort" saddle this weekend for 20 miles- it was gigantic and puffy and foam-stuffed. I wound up with a huge pain in the a__!!! After an hour my poor aching bum went numb and I had to peddle standing up half the time! :eek:
Some "comfort"- no thanks!