Numb fingers??????

I had the same problem when I started cycling. I was riding a mountain bike then and I was getting numb hands only on pavement. I was changing gloves, seats, and other. It all helped some but did not eliminate the numbness. However, month after month it was getting less and less frequent. I think it took a year of riding 2-4 times a weak to completely go away.
Jakub

If you feel pins and needles rather than numbness - particulary in little fingers - it could be a neck problem. Relief often if you just sit up for a time - cure -look at position on bike, seat and saddle hieght etc

I get the numbness in my hands also for me it's the peck muscles my chiropractor does his thing and I'm good to go -Treke

Definitely related to this problem when first got back into the saddle again in October, after several years' out of cycling. Listening to experienced riders and taking advice from my LBS as to my position setup on the bike helped alleviate sensation, but the fact that I've come down in weight from 85 to 76 kg in the last 3 months has probably greatly helped reduce the pressure, and thus the intensity of the problem (or is that not an issue? I really don't know, so please enlighten if you do!)

Originally posted by C'ya
Hi..I am new to all of this cycling. Only been doing it a few months now.

I have a question...have any of you experienced numbness in your fingers? I hardly "grip" the bars..and I have gel gloves..but by the end of my ride my fingers are tingling.

Any suggestions? Thought?

try some carbon bars/stem combo, it's a cost that worth the money, we have some really bad roads here in Western Australia, was given a set to try out, still haven returned them ha. and that was 2 race season ago!

I have this problem - even now - the only way I can relieve it during a ride is to drop my head down low (preferably on a straight) and relax. So I believe, in my case at least, that it is related to tension in the neck. Straightening the hands/shaking etc has no effect. Hope that helps. - Col - UK.

Depends on what kind of biking you do.
In my experience, off-road biking will generate numbness if the saddle is too high to the handle bars on long rides.
For road biking, i have tried many ways of positioning my hands to get around it ... all without fail.
For my really long rides (up to 375KMs), i always use an aero bar to relieve the strain. The only other options are to change hand positions regularly and riding without hands when safe.
Here is hoping someone else has better ideas.

I have a question...have any of you experienced numbness in your fingers? I hardly "grip" the bars..and I have gel gloves..but by the end of my ride my fingers are tingling.

What kind of Bike do you ride? a straight handlebar Bike will make your Fingers tingle more than a road Bike simply because you can't change Grip positions regularly...

Also, make sure the wrist straps are adjusted loosely, if they're too tight you'll restrict the Circulation...

I used to suffer from numb hands on long rides but got over it by remembering to relax my arms and grip on the Bars, this is important when hill climbing btw.

The odd thing is, I recently bought a new pair of Gel Gloves, relatively high-end ones at $40.00, and I hate them, they make my Hands go numb!! Maybe it's your Gloves? try a cheap shamois palm type...

Hope this helps.

Which gloves did you buy? You can PM if you want. I was looking at some because my fingers tend to go numb as well. :(

Originally posted by diane143
Which gloves did you buy? You can PM if you want. I was looking at some because my fingers tend to go numb as well. :(

The Gloves are Descente, AIR-GEL, they are very well made quality Gloves and you may like them...but for me they're very uncomfortable, for a start the Gel sections on the Palms are very hard and stiff, plus, the straps are not flexible enough, they dig into the backs of my wrists..kinda like wearing a broad banded watch...
I must admit, the Guy at the LBS told me the Cannondale were better, I should have listened to him...
Plus the fact that as far as I'm concerned, the most expensive Bike apparel is normally the best...as a rule of Thumb, these were the most expensive Gloves in the Store, so there goes MY theory...:mad:

I'll be buying the Cannondale Gloves this week...If nothing else, they'll match my Handle and also my Bike ;)

By the way, how does one PM anyway :confused:

Hey there

To fix my numb hands, I raised the nose of my saddle just a smidgen and also moved it forward. That took the weight off my hands. Has anyone tried the Specialized body geometry gloves? They yap about the ulnar nerve pad which is basically gel/padding over the pinky finger pad and apparently that nerve is what causes the numbness... Any thoughts?

Sue, paitiently waiting for Cdn snow to melt...

Originally posted by cannongirl

By the way, how does one PM anyway :confused:

Click on the PM button on the bottom of each post! :)

I wasn't looking at that brand. Our LBS had Pearl Izumi and one other brand. One was softer than the other and felt more comfortable. Once it gets warmer I have to do something, right now I'm using my MTB gloves.

Its not my wrists and hands that go numb but after eight years of cycling my wrists do click a bit, but its my feet that go numb on me!