Obituary for David G. Groves

"Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 21:55:19 GMT, Bay Area Dave
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >and I see Alan never apologized to you for jumping on
> >your first post to this thread. Some guys just are too
> >egotistical to admit they were wrong. I always apologize
> >when I goof up, because it's the sporting thing to do! :)
> >(Alan, are you reading this?)
> >
> >dave
>
> I'm reading - I never posted??? Seems to be my day for
> apologies - what did I do?

Nothing Al it was the other Alan:)

Beav

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:06:39 GMT, Bay Area Dave <[email protected]> wrote:

>that's true! It wasn't you either!
>
>dave

I know we're on a friendly, first-name basis here, but
just occasionally surnames or a little extra info can be
useful :)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

Beav wrote:

> Come on Jim, accept what S said. you did say you'd set DG
> up for an embarrasing moment, and he's right, friends
> DON'T do that.

Anybody with common sense knows you don't jump into a ng
thread if you have no idea what's going on, i.e., the
significance of this death. S came in as the curtain fell on
the last act of this tragedy. Then S tries to deduce what
happened. S will never have the full picture and should just
stand clear. As an example, even you will not show your
anger at Dave in public, now that he's dead. Because it will
serve no useful purpose now.

And you of all people should know that if you jump into a
thread in a ng, then you should expect to be challenged. It
goes with the turf.

Lastly, friendship becomes complex when a political agenda
binds these people together. All the usual relationship
rules no longer hold. This is easy to see, just look at
political running mates. They are not always "best friends."
(FDR and Truman, JFK and Johnson to name two.)

In any case, I think Dave's passing was a shock to all.

Nobody expected it to happen this soon,
--
Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely
hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily, moderate

'twas Hardy, Alan.

dave

Alan wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:06:39 GMT, Bay Area Dave
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>that's true! It wasn't you either!
>>
>>dave
>

> I know we're on a friendly, first-name basis here, but
> just occasionally surnames or a little extra info can be
> useful :)
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> --
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

"Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Beav wrote:
>
> > Come on Jim, accept what S said. you did say you'd set
> > DG up for an embarrasing moment, and he's right, friends
> > DON'T do that.
>
> Anybody with common sense knows you don't jump into a ng
> thread if you
have
> no idea what's going on, i.e., the significance of
> this death.

Jim, you're squirming here. You did say you were going to
set DG up and friends DON'T do those things to each other.
That's the WHOLE point of sieweke's post.

S came in
> as the curtain fell on the last act of this tragedy.

The "whole thread" at that point was a mere 4 posts long
(his was the 5th in the thread)

Then S tries to
> deduce what happened.

I don't see it that way. There was no deducing to do.
Granted, your previous posts on DG were dug up, but that
doesn't alter the fact that you said what you said. It
doesn't matter WHEN you said it, or WHY you said it, it
matters only that you DID say it, and as sieweke said,
friends DON'T do that to each other. I can't understand why
you won't accept that.

S will never have the full picture and should just
> stand clear.

I disagree. A full picture isn't needed in this instance.

As an example, even you will not show your anger at Dave
in
> public, now that he's dead. Because it will serve no
> useful purpose now.

Everyone that's ever seen any of mine and DG''s posts (to
and about each other) will know there was no love lost
between us, and WHY, but I haven't said he was ever a friend
of mine, so I'm not likely to be accused of back stabbing.
EVERYTHING I've written about DG, I've said TO him on many
occasions. You on the other hand, posted to the NG that
you'd set him up KNOWING he wouldn't read the post because
he no longer frequented the newsgroup. That's back stabbing
in my book, and then to call him a friend, well, that's
taking things a bit too far don't you think?

> And you of all people should know that if you jump into a
> thread in a ng, then you should expect to be challenged.

Indeed, and rightly so, but what sieweke quoted is still
there for anyone to see, and THIS thread isn't actually that
complicated anyone with half a brain couldn't work through
in two minutes.

He's basically saying that you're a hypocrite, and if the
original post on this thread had come from me and I'd said
"Dave Groves has gone and I'll miss our discussions" (no
mention of frienships) I'd expect a whole slew of peple
bombarding me with words a "little" stronger than
"hypocrite". Wouldn't you?

It goes with the turf.

> Lastly, friendship becomes complex when a political agenda
> binds these people together.

That isn't friendship Jim. You MAY heve been friendly with
DG at some time (but even friendly isn't friendship) but you
blew that when you said you'd set him up n front of the
whole net-world.

All the usual relationship rules no longer hold. This is
> easy to see, just look at political running mates. They
> are not always "best friends." (FDR and Truman, JFK and
> Johnson to name two.)

Totally irrelevant Jim, this isn't a discussion about
political running mates, this is a discussion about YOU
saying you were a FRIEND of Dave Groves. Obviously you
weren't.. If you're a friend of someone, you don't tell his
peers that you're going to set him up.

> In any case, I think Dave's passing was a shock to all.

Given his health problems over the last few years, it's not
a shock or even a surprise, but that doesn't make it any
less palatable.

> Nobody expected it to happen this soon,

I don't know about that. I've thought he was living on
borrowed time for a long time now, and even more so when
I heard he was so ****** off with the whole diabetes
thing. That generally leads to a lack of control with the
usual result.

Groves wasn't any friend of mine, in fact I don't think he
was any friend of the diabetic community at large (FAR too
negatively focused in his approach to the beef insulin
issue), but it's still not a good day when we hear of ANYONE
we know shaking off his mortal coil.

Beav

Beav wrote:

> Groves wasn't any friend of mine, in fact I don't think he
> was any friend of the diabetic community at large (FAR too
> negatively focused in his approach to the beef insulin
> issue), but it's still not a good day when we hear of
> ANYONE we know shaking off his mortal coil.

I always got along with Dave and probably because I was
using Beef insulin.

He introduced me personally to C. Savage the past CEO of CP
Pharma. He hooked me up with J Hirst at IDDT.

I know he was irascible with non beef insulin using
diabetics, but he was consistent. Most of his invective with
you Beav was his intolerance of anything involving RDNA
insulin. He actually softened his tone about you, after I
told him about our trip to Wales.

I still owe him for knowledge and I hope he rests in peace!

Beav wrote:

> "Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]
> ews.com...
>> Beav wrote:
>>
>> > Come on Jim, accept what S said. you did say you'd set
>> > DG up for an embarrasing moment, and he's right,
>> > friends DON'T do that.
>>
>> Anybody with common sense knows you don't jump into a ng
>> thread if you
> have
>> no idea what's going on, i.e., the significance of
>> this death.
>
> Jim, you're squirming here. You did say you were going to
> set DG up and friends DON'T do those things to each other.
> That's the WHOLE point of sieweke's post.

I don't remember saying that I would "set up Dave." But I do
remember saying that I would try to move him away from MHD
if he ever came here because he was too disruptive. You do
this by using embarassment as a tool in a public forum like
MHD. The end result (move him away from MHD) is planned. But
the method is unknown as it unfolds as an argument
progresses. I look at this as part of trying to keep the DIF
image from getting worse as Dave spouts off. He was his own
worst enemy. In any case, friendship ends as the ship begins
to sink because of poor decisions.

> S came in
>> as the curtain fell on the last act of this tragedy.
>
> The "whole thread" at that point was a mere 4 posts long
> (his was the 5th in the thread)

I Googled back to S's first post in September's "Dave Groves
in Hospital" thread. It demonstrated a person without
knowledge or interest in Dave's beef insulin work. So the
"curtain was falling" as S tried to understand why this was
important in MHD.

> Then S tries to
>> deduce what happened.
>
> I don't see it that way. There was no deducing to do.
> Granted, your previous posts on DG were dug up, but that
> doesn't alter the fact that you said what you said. It
> doesn't matter WHEN you said it, or WHY you said it, it
> matters only that you DID say it, and as sieweke said,
> friends DON'T do that to each other. I can't understand
> why you won't accept that.

I stand by all that I've said. The reasons were political
posturing to move away from damage Dave had done to DIF. So
yes, I accept what I said. But the why's are no longer
friendship related. They are organizational related.

> S will never have the full picture and should just
>> stand clear.
>
> I disagree. A full picture isn't needed in this instance.

Any sound decision requires all the information available.
If you only get part of the picture and take off on a
tangent, you've done all a disservice.

> As an example, even you will not show your anger at
> Dave in
>> public, now that he's dead. Because it will serve no
>> useful purpose now.
>
> Everyone that's ever seen any of mine and DG''s posts (to
> and about each other) will know there was no love lost
> between us, and WHY, but I haven't said he was ever a
> friend of mine, so I'm not likely to be accused of back
> stabbing. EVERYTHING I've written about DG, I've said TO
> him on many occasions. You on the other hand, posted to
> the NG that you'd set him up KNOWING he wouldn't read the
> post because he no longer frequented the newsgroup. That's
> back stabbing in my book, and then to call him a friend,
> well, that's taking things a bit too far don't you think?

Again, friends with a political agenda are atypical friends.
They do what is necessary to get the job done. The political
agenda governs. More importantly, you're operating in a
Machiavellian environment with friendship secondary.

>> And you of all people should know that if you jump into a
>> thread in a ng, then you should expect to be challenged.
>
> Indeed, and rightly so, but what sieweke quoted is still
> there for anyone to see, and THIS thread isn't actually
> that complicated anyone with half a brain couldn't work
> through in two minutes.

Then I encourage all to look for themselves.

> He's basically saying that you're a hypocrite, and if the
> original post on this thread had come from me and I'd said
> "Dave Groves has gone and I'll miss our discussions" (no
> mention of frienships) I'd expect a whole slew of peple
> bombarding me with words a "little" stronger than
> "hypocrite". Wouldn't you?

Then I must be a hypocrite. All in the line of duty. The
greater goal is to make DIF into a more powerful
organization. But this can't be done unless it moves away
from Dave's image. This is why I think a name change is
necessary.

> It goes with the turf.
>>
>> Lastly, friendship becomes complex when a political
>> agenda binds these people together.
>
> That isn't friendship Jim. You MAY heve been friendly with
> DG at some time (but even friendly isn't friendship) but
> you blew that when you said you'd set him up n front of
> the whole net-world.

Agreed. Politics and friendship don't mix well. And I admit,
I play a game of chess in an argument with people on
newsgroups. If they fall into my trap, then shame on them.
That's the way these public forums work. It's a political
microcosm. This technique wins arguments and is used on
friends as well as enemies. So "set up" is independent of
friendship.

> All the usual relationship rules no longer hold. This is
>> easy to see, just look at political running mates. They
>> are not always "best friends." (FDR and Truman, JFK and
>> Johnson to name two.)
>
> Totally irrelevant Jim, this isn't a discussion about
> political running mates, this is a discussion about YOU
> saying you were a FRIEND of Dave Groves. Obviously you
> weren't.. If you're a friend of someone, you don't tell
> his peers that you're going to set him up.

DIF still has a political agenda and therefore it is
relevent. The organization needs public opinion to help its
cause. As a test, would you join DIF now that Dave has
passed on? Or is his legacy still keeping people away?

Next, friendship is an evolutionary process. Sometimes it
ends abruptly as mortal enemies. In my case with Dave, it
remained on the fence for political reasons. The
organization was more important then differences between
people in the organization.

ASIDE: In light of the AARP's sell out on the Medicare bill
this year, it would seem more important then ever for some
patient-based political organization to get into Washington,
DC. DIF was going in this direction but it never focused on
the majority needs.

So I rest my case,
--

Jim Dumas wrote:

> They do what is necessary to get the job done.

I just want to qualify this statement. "They do what is
necessary to get the job done _legally_."

In light of all the corporate fraud these days, it's
important to be specific. Thereby leaving no ambiguous
statements for creative people to capitalize on.

"Within legal bounds" is always implied in my statements,
--
Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely
hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily, moderate
exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

For the record: Your "snake in the grass" tactics were known
at the first DIF meeting in DC where he tried to take over
DIF even before it was offically formed. You were kept on
the board to keep and eye on. The world knows your character
now, by your own words. Resigned???? You were fired!

"Beav" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [...]
> weren't.. If you're a friend of someone, you don't tell
> his peers that you're going to set him up.
>

> > In any case, I think Dave's passing was a shock to all.
>
> Given his health problems over the last few years, it's
> not a shock or even a surprise, but that doesn't make it
> any less palatable.
>

> > Nobody expected it to happen this soon,
>
> I don't know about that. I've thought he was living on
> borrowed time for a long time now, and even more so when
> I heard he was so ****** off with the whole diabetes
> thing. That generally leads to a lack of control with the
> usual result.
>
> Groves wasn't any friend of mine, in fact I don't think he
> was any friend of the diabetic community at large (FAR too
> negatively focused in his approach to the beef insulin
> issue), but it's still not a good day when we hear of
> ANYONE we know shaking off his mortal coil.

"BigNascarFan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Beav wrote:
>
> > Groves wasn't any friend of mine, in fact I don't think
> > he was any
friend of
> > the diabetic community at large (FAR too negatively
> > focused in his
approach
> > to the beef insulin issue), but it's still not a good
> > day when we hear
of
> > ANYONE we know shaking off his mortal coil.
> >

> I always got along with Dave and probably because I was
> using Beef insulin.
>
> He introduced me personally to C. Savage the past CEO of
> CP Pharma. He hooked me up with J Hirst at IDDT.
>
> I know he was irascible with non beef insulin using
> diabetics, but he was consistent. Most of his invective
> with you Beav was his intolerance of anything involving
> RDNA insulin. He actually softened his tone about you,
> after I told him about our trip to Wales.
>
> I still owe him for knowledge and I hope he rests in
> peace!

Nas

I see the passing of DG as I would any other acquaintance,
that being something to feel a loss about. I don't like to
hear of anyone I know dying, even if I don't particularly
like them. I never disliked DG as a person because I never
KNEW him as a person, just as "the other side" of a
discussion/argument, and the battle lines between us were
drawn over that DG's defence of that Justin bloke, but we're
all entitled to our opinions

On the insulin side of things, I've often said that DG
should've used a more positive argument on the beef issue,
(sell it's good points) rather than always using the
negative aspects of GM insulins, by "selling" it's bad
points, and I've said it to him on a number of occasions,
but he was stuck in his own ways (aren't we all though)

I wish his surviving family members the best, and I too hope
he rests in peace and his rest is less problematic than his
last few years here were.

Beav

"Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Beav wrote:
>

> > "Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in
> > message news:[email protected]
> > anews.com...

> >> Anybody with common sense knows you don't jump into a
> >> ng thread if you
> > have
> >> no idea what's going on, i.e., the significance of this
> >> death.
> >
> > Jim, you're squirming here. You did say you were going
> > to set DG up and friends DON'T do those things to each
> > other. That's the WHOLE point of sieweke's post.
>
> I don't remember saying that I would "set up Dave."

Jim, let's not get into playing childish word games eh? You
know EXACTLY what you wrote (see the quote)

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C431F39.1EBDD4D5%40do-
ntSPAMMEmindspring.com&output=gplain

J.D. said....Now that you know I want to keep Groves away
from the public, just email me if he shows and I'll
help to move him on to his official duties. I'll
probably set up a thread to suck him in, embarrass him
in public and this will get him out of mhd for awhile.

Now do you think that's the kind of things friends do to
each other? I don't, and sieweke doesn't either, which is
why he pulled you. I think he was right to do that and I
think you ARE wrong to keep on arguing the "finer" point.

-----------

J.E. said....You should also realize how deliberate and
methodical I am by now.
-----------

This is another part of your post and it shows EXACTLY how
good a "friend" you were to DG.

If a side argument will not help to achieve the goal, it
gets shutdown.

Sorry to upset everybody, my mission is over, thanks,

But I do remember
> saying that I would try to move him away from MHD if he
> ever came here because he was too disruptive.

You said what you said Jim and it's there for all to see.

You do this by using embarassment as a tool
> in a public forum like MHD. The end result (move him away
> from MHD) is planned. But the method is unknown as it
> unfolds as an argument
progresses.
> I look at this as part of trying to keep the DIF image
> from getting worse as Dave spouts off. He was his own
> worst enemy. In any case, friendship ends as the ship
> begins to sink because of poor decisions.

> > S came in
> >> as the curtain fell on the last act of this tragedy.
> >
> > The "whole thread" at that point was a mere 4 posts long
> > (his was the
5th
> > in the thread)
>

> I Googled back to S's first post in September's "Dave
> Groves in Hospital" thread. It demonstrated a person
> without knowledge or interest in Dave's beef insulin work.

So? Dave was more than a beef insulin advocate wasn't he?

So the "curtain was falling" as S tried to understand
> why this was important in MHD.

It was important because DG used to be a "member" here. It's
sometimes interesting to find out how past members are
faring. In Daves case, not to well at that time.

> > Then S tries to
> >> deduce what happened.
> >
> > I don't see it that way. There was no deducing to do.
> > Granted, your previous posts on DG were dug up, but that
> > doesn't alter the fact that
you
> > said what you said. It doesn't matter WHEN you said it,
> > or WHY you said it, it matters only that you DID say it,
> > and as sieweke said, friends DON'T do that to each
> > other. I can't understand why you won't accept
that.

> I stand by all that I've said. The reasons were political
> posturing to
move
> away from damage Dave had done to DIF. So yes, I accept
> what I said. But the why's are no longer friendship
> related. They are organizational related.
>

> > S will never have the full picture and should just
> >> stand clear.
> >
> > I disagree. A full picture isn't needed in this
> > instance.
>
> Any sound decision requires all the information available.

That's a fair amount more squirming you're dong there Jim.
Siewke's ONLY issue was you calling yourself Daves friend.
Plainly you're not, so why not just admit it and this thread
will go the way of all the others before it.

If you only get
> part of the picture and take off on a tangent, you've done
> all a disservice.

What other part of the picture "I was a friend of Dave
Groves" IS there to know? now if you'd said "I was a friend
of Dave Groves UNTIL...... that changes the whole slant, but
you didn't.

> > As an example, even you will not show your anger at
> > Dave in
> >> public, now that he's dead. Because it will serve no
> >> useful purpose
now.

> > Everyone that's ever seen any of mine and DG''s posts
> > (to and about each other) will know there was no love
> > lost between us, and WHY, but I
haven't
> > said he was ever a friend of mine, so I'm not likely to
> > be accused of
back
> > stabbing. EVERYTHING I've written about DG, I've said TO
> > him on many occasions. You on the other hand, posted to
> > the NG that you'd set him up KNOWING he wouldn't read
> > the post because he no longer frequented the newsgroup.
> > That's back stabbing in my book, and then to call him a
friend,
> > well, that's taking things a bit too far don't you
> > think?
>
> Again, friends with a political agenda are atypical
> friends. They do what is necessary to get the job done.
> The political agenda governs. More importantly, you're
> operating in a Machiavellian environment with friendship
> secondary.

So you're not ACTUALY friends, you just feed off each other
to further your

> >> And you of all people should know that if you jump into
> >> a thread in a
ng,
> >> then you should expect to be challenged.
> >
> > Indeed, and rightly so, but what sieweke quoted is still
> > there for
anyone
> > to see, and THIS thread isn't actually that complicated
> > anyone with half
> > brain couldn't work through in two minutes.
>
> Then I encourage all to look for themselves.

Sieweke saved them the trouble. He posted all the links in
his post to you. Perhaps you should've checked them.

> > He's basically saying that you're a hypocrite, and if
> > the original post
on
> > this thread had come from me and I'd said "Dave Groves
> > has gone and I'll miss our discussions" (no mention of
> > frienships) I'd expect a whole slew of peple bombarding
> > me with words a "little" stronger than "hypocrite".
> > Wouldn't you?
>
> Then I must be a hypocrite. All in the line of duty.

Sorry Jim, but that's bollocks.There IS no duty that
requires hypocrisy. (Hypocrisy is just a nice way of
telling lies)

The greater goal is
> to make DIF into a more powerful organization. But this
> can't be done unless it moves away from Dave's image. This
> is why I think a name change is necessary.

This is totally irrelevant to this discussion. Muddy the
waters all you like, but I'll just put on astonger light, as
will others.

> > It goes with the turf.
> >>
> >> Lastly, friendship becomes complex when a political
> >> agenda binds these people together.
> >
> > That isn't friendship Jim. You MAY heve been friendly
> > with DG at some
time
> > (but even friendly isn't friendship) but you blew that
> > when you said
you'd
> > set him up n front of the whole net-world.
>
> Agreed. Politics and friendship don't mix well. And I
> admit, I play a
game
> of chess in an argument with people on newsgroups. If they
> fall into my trap, then shame on them.

Jim, you're falling into the trap of actually believing
you're in cntrol and some sort of debating genious who
thinks 20 moves in front of everyone. You're not.

That's the way these public forums work. It's a
> political microcosm. This technique wins arguments and is
> used on friends as well as enemies. So "set up" is
> independent of friendship.

Phsycobabble. And morel bollocks too.

> > All the usual relationship rules no longer hold.
> > This is
> >> easy to see, just look at political running mates. They
> >> are not always "best friends." (FDR and Truman, JFK and
> >> Johnson to name two.)
> >
> > Totally irrelevant Jim, this isn't a discussion about
> > political running mates, this is a discussion about YOU
> > saying you were a FRIEND of Dave Groves. Obviously you
> > weren't.. If you're a friend of someone, you don't tell
> > his peers that you're going to set him up.
>
> DIF still has a political agenda and therefore it is
> relevent.

This discussion has nothing to do with the DIF. I realise
this is a political trick (never answer a question) but this
isn't misc.health.politics and you ain't no politician.

The
> organization needs public opinion to help its cause. As a
> test, would you join DIF now that Dave has passed on? Or
> is his legacy still keeping people away?

No way. Not while people who don't think twice about
stabbing their "friends" in the back are associated with it.

> Next, friendship is an evolutionary process. Sometimes it
> ends abruptly
as
> mortal enemies.

Indeed it does, but they don't carry on calling each
other friends.

In my case with Dave, it remained on the fence for
> political reasons. The organization was more important
> then differences between people in the organization.
>
> ASIDE: In light of the AARP's sell out on the Medicare
> bill this year, it would seem more important then ever for
> some patient-based political organization to get into
> Washington, DC. DIF was going in this direction but it
> never focused on the majority needs.

Would that be because the majority "needs" are perfectly
satisfied by GM insulins? remember Jim, they ARE. it's only
a tiny minority who actually NEED animal derived insulins,
and whn push comes to shove, they CAN get them, even if they
live in the states.

> So I rest my case,

Actually, what you did was try to deflect your case
onto something completely different. I answered, but I
wasn't fooled.

Beav

Beav wrote:

> "Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]
> ews.com...
>> Beav wrote:
>>

>> > "Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in
>> > message news:[email protected]
>> > banews.com...

>> > have
>> >
>> > Jim, you're squirming here. You did say you were going
>> > to set DG up and friends DON'T do those things to each
>> > other. That's the WHOLE point of sieweke's post.
>>
>> I don't remember saying that I would "set up Dave."
>
> Jim, let's not get into playing childish word games eh?
> You know EXACTLY what you wrote (see the quote)

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C431F39.1EBDD4D5%40do-
ntSPAMMEmindspring.com&output=gplain

> J.D. said....Now that you know I want to keep Groves away
> from the public, just email me if he shows and I'll
> help to move him on to his official duties. I'll
> probably set up a thread to suck him in, embarrass
> him in public and this will get him out of mhd for
> awhile.
> --------

Dear Beav,

It worked on you two years ago. It's an effective method and
I'll continue to use it.

> Now do you think that's the kind of things friends do to
> each other? I don't, and sieweke doesn't either, which is
> why he pulled you. I think he was right to do that and I
> think you ARE wrong to keep on arguing the "finer" point.

> -------------

I've seen friends beat the sh*t outta each other. So this is
mild. It really depends on the relationship. Some people
aren't happy unless they are in an argument with somebody.
My exwife was like this, and Dave Groves had this
propensity. So friendship is in the eyes of the two
beholders. These two parties are all that count as the bond
is only between them.

> J.D. said....You should also realize how deliberate and
> methodical I am by now.
> -------------
>
> This is another part of your post and it shows EXACTLY how
> good a "friend" you were to DG.
>
> If a side argument will not help to achieve the goal, it
> gets shutdown.
>
> Sorry to upset everybody, my mission is over, thanks,

All these are true. When my mission is over I shut down the
thread just as I did in our argument two years ago. If a
side argument is wasteful, it gets shut down.

But this argument is useful. You're moving the cause forward
unwittingly. We're looking at the seed of some patient-based
organization. This is Dave's true contribution to the DM
community.

> But I do remember
>> saying that I would try to move him away from MHD if he
>> ever came here because he was too disruptive.
>
> You said what you said Jim and it's there for all to see.

Indeed I did. And I'll do it all over the same way again.

> You do this by using embarassment as a tool
>> in a public forum like MHD. The end result (move him away
>> from MHD) is planned. But the method is unknown as it
>> unfolds as an argument
> progresses.
>> I look at this as part of trying to keep the DIF image
>> from getting worse as Dave spouts off. He was his own
>> worst enemy. In any case, friendship ends as the ship
>> begins to sink because of poor decisions.
>

>> > S came in
>> >
>> > The "whole thread" at that point was a mere 4 posts
>> > long (his was the
> 5th
>> > in the thread)
>>

>> I Googled back to S's first post in September's
>> "Dave Groves in Hospital" thread. It demonstrated a
>> person without knowledge or interest in Dave's beef
>> insulin work.
>
> So? Dave was more than a beef insulin advocate wasn't he?

It was: 1) beef insulin, 2) a cure for diabetes; and, 3)
support for T1s with legal problems from hypoglycemic-
mediated events like car accidents.

> So the "curtain was falling" as S tried to understand
>> why this was important in MHD.
>
> It was important because DG used to be a "member" here.
> It's sometimes interesting to find out how past members
> are faring. In Daves case, not to well at that time.
>

>> > Then S tries to
>> >
>> > I don't see it that way. There was no deducing to do.
>> > Granted, your previous posts on DG were dug up, but
>> > that doesn't alter the fact that
> you
>> > said what you said. It doesn't matter WHEN you said it,
>> > or WHY you said it, it matters only that you DID say
>> > it, and as sieweke said, friends DON'T do that to each
>> > other. I can't understand why you won't accept
> that.
>>
>> I stand by all that I've said. The reasons were political
>> posturing to
> move
>> away from damage Dave had done to DIF. So yes, I accept
>> what I said. But the why's are no longer friendship
>> related. They are organizational related.
>>

>> > S will never have the full picture and should just
>> >
>> > I disagree. A full picture isn't needed in this
>> > instance.
>>
>> Any sound decision requires all the information
>> available.
>
> That's a fair amount more squirming you're dong there Jim.
> Siewke's ONLY issue was you calling yourself Daves friend.
> Plainly you're not, so why not just admit it and this
> thread will go the way of all the others before
> it.

Then you must be squirming back. As I posted to Sieweke much
earlier in this thread, by his/her narrow definition, I was
not Dave's friend. This issue was resolved by that post and
Sieweke fell silent. So you must have missed that post.

> If you only get
>> part of the picture and take off on a tangent, you've
>> done all a disservice.
>
> What other part of the picture "I was a friend of Dave
> Groves" IS there to know? now if you'd said "I was a
> friend of Dave Groves UNTIL...... that changes the whole
> slant, but you didn't.

With Dave Groves, one day you were his best friend and
the next day you were his worst enemy. So it was
difficult for anybody to know which day it was: good or
bad. If I summed the bad days, they were probably 75% of
our decade relationship. He was far more upset with me
than I was with him.

You're doing a wonderful job, Beav.

>> > As an example, even you will not show your anger at
>> > Dave in
> now.
>> >
>> > Everyone that's ever seen any of mine and DG''s posts
>> > (to and about each other) will know there was no love
>> > lost between us, and WHY, but I
> haven't
>> > said he was ever a friend of mine, so I'm not likely to
>> > be accused of
> back
>> > stabbing. EVERYTHING I've written about DG, I've said
>> > TO him on many occasions. You on the other hand, posted
>> > to the NG that you'd set him up KNOWING he wouldn't
>> > read the post because he no longer frequented the
>> > newsgroup. That's back stabbing in my book, and then to
>> > call him a
> friend,
>> > well, that's taking things a bit too far don't you
>> > think?
>>
>> Again, friends with a political agenda are atypical
>> friends. They do what is necessary to get the job done.
>> The political agenda governs. More importantly, you're
>> operating in a Machiavellian environment with friendship
>> secondary.
>
> So you're not ACTUALY friends, you just feed off each
> other to further

Good. No skin off my nose.

> ng,
>> >
>> > Indeed, and rightly so, but what sieweke quoted is
>> > still there for
> anyone
>> > to see, and THIS thread isn't actually that complicated
>> > anyone with half
>> > brain couldn't work through in two minutes.
>>
>> Then I encourage all to look for themselves.
>
> Sieweke saved them the trouble. He posted all the links in
> his post to you. Perhaps you should've checked them.
>

>> > He's basically saying that you're a hypocrite, and if
>> > the original post
> on
>> > this thread had come from me and I'd said "Dave Groves
>> > has gone and I'll miss our discussions" (no mention of
>> > frienships) I'd expect a whole slew of peple bombarding
>> > me with words a "little" stronger than "hypocrite".
>> > Wouldn't you?
>>
>> Then I must be a hypocrite. All in the line of duty.
>
> Sorry Jim, but that's bollocks.There IS no duty that
> requires hypocrisy. (Hypocrisy is just a nice way of
> telling lies)

Everybody is a hypocritical in their daily life. It's a tool
to get the children to behave as in: "Do as I say and not as
I do." Both you and Sieweke are hypocritical on this issue
with Dave Groves, as another example. You both have cast the
first stone. But in doing so, have judged yourselves in the
process. In any case, I admit that I'll be hypocritical if
it gets a job done. And I'm an engineer, we don't lie.

> The greater goal is
>> to make DIF into a more powerful organization. But this
>> can't be done unless it moves away from Dave's image.
>> This is why I think a name change is necessary.
>
> This is totally irrelevant to this discussion. Muddy the
> waters all you like, but I'll just put on astonger light,
> as will others.
>>

>> > It goes with the turf.

>> > That isn't friendship Jim. You MAY heve been friendly
>> > with DG at some
> time
>> > (but even friendly isn't friendship) but you blew that
>> > when you said
> you'd
>> > set him up n front of the whole net-world.
>>
>> Agreed. Politics and friendship don't mix well. And I
>> admit, I play a
> game
>> of chess in an argument with people on newsgroups. If
>> they fall into my trap, then shame on them.
>
> Jim, you're falling into the trap of actually believing
> you're in cntrol and some sort of debating genious who
> thinks 20 moves in front of everyone. You're not.
>
> That's the way these public forums work. It's a
>> political microcosm. This technique wins arguments and is
>> used on friends as well as enemies. So "set up" is
>> independent of friendship.
>
> Phsycobabble. And morel bollocks too.

You keep squirming and you'll fall off your chair, Beav.

>> > All the usual relationship rules no longer hold.
>> > This is
>> >
>> > Totally irrelevant Jim, this isn't a discussion about
>> > political running mates, this is a discussion about YOU
>> > saying you were a FRIEND of Dave Groves. Obviously you
>> > weren't.. If you're a friend of someone, you don't tell
>> > his peers that you're going to set him up.
>>
>> DIF still has a political agenda and therefore it is
>> relevent.
>
> This discussion has nothing to do with the DIF. I realise
> this is a political trick (never answer a question) but
> this isn't misc.health.politics and you ain't no
> politician.

It doen't matter. The jury read it. And I admit I'm not a
politician, thank God.

> The
>> organization needs public opinion to help its cause. As a
>> test, would you join DIF now that Dave has passed on? Or
>> is his legacy still keeping people away?
>
> No way. Not while people who don't think twice about
> stabbing their "friends" in the back are associated
> with it.
>

>> Next, friendship is an evolutionary process. Sometimes it
>> ends abruptly
> as
>> mortal enemies.
>
> Indeed it does, but they don't carry on calling each other
> friends.

Good point. But it was Gary Ennis that said I was
Dave's friend.

> In my case with Dave, it remained on the fence for
>> political reasons. The organization was more important
>> then differences between people in the organization.
>>
>> ASIDE: In light of the AARP's sell out on the Medicare
>> bill this year, it would seem more important then ever
>> for some patient-based political organization to get into
>> Washington, DC. DIF was going in this direction but it
>> never focused on the majority needs.
>
> Would that be because the majority "needs" are perfectly
> satisfied by GM insulins? remember Jim, they ARE. it's
> only a tiny minority who actually NEED animal derived
> insulins, and whn push comes to shove, they CAN get them,
> even if they live in the states.
>

>> So I rest my case,
>
> Actually, what you did was try to deflect your case
> onto something completely different. I answered, but I
> wasn't fooled.

I never deflect. I stand and fight. But I use the
opportunity to further the cause: That of some patient-based
organization.

And keep posting because I'm not done yet. Thanks as always,
--

Beav wrote:

> "Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]
> ews.com...
>> Jim Dumas wrote:
>>
>> > They do what is necessary to get the job done.
>>
>> I just want to qualify this statement. "They do what is
>> necessary to get the job done _legally_."
>

>> In light of all the corporate fraud these days, it's
>> important to be specific. Thereby leaving no ambiguous
>> statements for creative people to capitalize on.
>>
>> "Within legal bounds" is always implied in my statements,

Dear Beav,

Best wishes,
--

Mary wrote:

> For the record: Your "snake in the grass" tactics were
> known at the first DIF meeting in DC where he tried to
> take over DIF even before it was offically formed. You
> were kept on the board to keep and eye on. The world knows
> your character now, by your own words. Resigned???? You
> were fired!

Dear Mary,

If you check your DIF bylaws, there is no provision for
abrupt termination. Board members must be voted off the
board of directors and that never happened.

What did happen was Dave had a temper tantrum, as usual, and
said "You're Fired!" But that was meaningless per the
bylaws. I submitted a letter of resignation to Dr. Bob
Blumenthal, the chairman of the board and CEO of
DIF. He accepted it with heavy heart and my now wife
was pleased as punch because she thought I was
wasting my time.

This was volunteer work. So fired is impossible,
--
Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely
hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily, moderate
exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

"*~*WiseWords - WiseWords4Diabetics"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> BigNascarFan <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > GROVES, DAVID G., age 57, of Birmingham, Alabama
> > formerly of Chicago, died February 28, 2004 after a long
> > illness. Survivors include his daughter, Dana Ripple. A
> > memorial service will be held in Pennsylvania at a later
> > time. Ridout's Elmwood Chapel is directing. <> Published
> > in The Birmingham News on 3/1/2004.
> >
> > http://www.legacy.com/Link.asp?Id=LS01982328X
>
> ---> http://profiles.yahoo.com/dggroves1

The yahoo link didn't work Wiseone:)

Beav

"Beav" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "*~*WiseWords - WiseWords4Diabetics"
> <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> news:[email protected]...
> > BigNascarFan <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > GROVES, DAVID G., age 57, of Birmingham, Alabama
> > > formerly of Chicago, died February 28, 2004 after a
> > > long illness. Survivors include his daughter, Dana
> > > Ripple. A memorial service will be held in
> > > Pennsylvania at a later time. Ridout's Elmwood Chapel
> > > is directing. <> Published in The Birmingham News on
> > > 3/1/2004.
> > >
> > > http://www.legacy.com/Link.asp?Id=LS01982328X
> >
> > ---> http://profiles.yahoo.com/dggroves1
>
> The yahoo link didn't work Wiseone:)
>

> Beav

Link worked for me here at midnight.

And thanks for it. I felt as if I knew Dave, even if I had
never met him face to face. But this reminds me of reading a
book and then later seeing the movie made from it. Nothing
like I imagined him.

As I would write and read and think about Dave's issues, I
pictured him (as I do everyone on here) in my mind. And I am
sorry, but this picture on Yahoo is wrong. I liked my
picture better.

I will miss Dave's forays into politics, law, research,
trade, etc. I seldom agreed with him, but always listened to
his side. Made me think on some occasions when I thought I
had already made up my mind.

The obit says Dave was 57, the Yahoo personal says he was
59, whenever that was posted. Some days it does feel like we
must be older than we are.

(We know you don't care for praying, Beav. But you know I
try.) I will keep Dave in my prayers (which for me are my
thoughts).

Judy Type 1, 30 years

"Judy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Beav" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "*~*WiseWords - WiseWords4Diabetics"
> > <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > BigNascarFan <[email protected]> wrote in
> > > message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
Chicago,
Pennsylvania

> > > ---> http://profiles.yahoo.com/dggroves1
> >
> > The yahoo link didn't work Wiseone:)
> >

> > Beav
> >

> Link worked for me here at midnight.

This is what I get

The requested URL /dggroves1 was not found on this server.

> And thanks for it. I felt as if I knew Dave, even if I had
> never met him face to face. But this reminds me of reading
> a book and then later seeing the movie made from it.
> Nothing like I imagined him.
>
> As I would write and read and think about Dave's issues, I
> pictured him
(as
> I do everyone on here) in my mind. And I am sorry, but
> this picture on Yahoo is wrong. I liked my picture better.
>
> I will miss Dave's forays into politics, law, research,
> trade, etc. I seldom agreed with him, but always listened
> to his side. Made me think on some occasions when I
> thought I had already made up my mind.
>
> The obit says Dave was 57, the Yahoo personal says he was
> 59, whenever
that
> was posted. Some days it does feel like we must be older
> than we are.
>
> (We know you don't care for praying, Beav. But you know I
> try.) I will keep Dave in my prayers (which for me are my
> thoughts).

I've probably thought more about DG this week than I've
thought of anyone else Judy, and always with sadness.

Beav