Obituary for David G. Groves

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by BigNascarFan, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. BigNascarFan

    BigNascarFan Guest

    GROVES, DAVID G., age 57, of Birmingham, Alabama formerly of Chicago, died February 28, 2004 after a
    long illness. Survivors include his daughter, Dana Ripple. A memorial service will be held in
    Pennsylvania at a later time. Ridout's Elmwood Chapel is directing. <> Published in The Birmingham
    News on 3/1/2004.

    http://www.legacy.com/Link.asp?Id=LS01982328X

    Tags:

  2. Al Hardy

    Al Hardy Guest

    BigNascarFan wrote:
    > GROVES, DAVID G., age 57, of Birmingham, Alabama formerly of Chicago, died February 28, 2004 after
    > a long illness. Survivors include his daughter, Dana Ripple. A memorial service will be held in
    > Pennsylvania at a later time. Ridout's Elmwood Chapel is directing. <> Published in The Birmingham
    > News on 3/1/2004.
    >
    > http://www.legacy.com/Link.asp?Id=LS01982328X

    I am sorry to hear of that, Nas. As a mark of respect, how about silence on this ng for 3 hours.

    Al.

  3. Beav

    Beav Guest

    "BigNascarFan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > GROVES, DAVID G., age 57, of Birmingham, Alabama formerly of Chicago, died February 28, 2004 after
    > a long illness. Survivors include his daughter, Dana Ripple. A memorial service will be held in
    > Pennsylvania at a later time. Ridout's Elmwood Chapel is directing. <> Published in The Birmingham
    > News on 3/1/2004.

    Thanks for the information Nas. Sad to hear. I'm not one for praying, (for this reason!!) but I'll
    think of him.

    Beav

  4. Jim Dumas

    Jim Dumas Guest

    BigNascarFan wrote:

    > GROVES, DAVID G., age 57, of Birmingham, Alabama formerly of Chicago, died February 28, 2004 after
    > a long illness. Survivors include his daughter, Dana Ripple. A memorial service will be held in
    > Pennsylvania at a later time. Ridout's Elmwood Chapel is directing. <> Published in The Birmingham
    > News on 3/1/2004.
    >
    > http://www.legacy.com/Link.asp?Id=LS01982328X

    The last I heard, he had an infection contracted while in the hospital after his double bypass in
    early September last year. This information was from late November.

    The last time I saw him was April, 2002. He had lost weight from our previous meeting in September
    2000, when the DIF bylaws were written in Washington, DC. He also had an open lesion on the ball of
    one of his feet that was painful to walk on. I gave him a lecture about getting his BG under control
    so he could get healthy. He responded that he was tired of diabetes and didn't want to bother with
    the beast any longer (in stronger language to get me off his back). I told him that he didn't have a
    choice, as his health depended on it. But I didn't push the point.

    We spent most of our time working on his network configuration and security. But he refused to
    reload a backup for one of his compromised Windows machnines, because he had too much to lose on the
    hard drive. This machine could be reinfecting his other computers and he refused to clean it up. So
    I gave up and suggested we go to dinner. This was when I noticed he didn't eat much on his plate. On
    the way home I asked him if he was OK, since he didn't eat much at dinner. He said his teeth hurt
    and he couldn't chew much. He had a large amount of dental work done when he lived in Boston (not
    Chicago, so "formerly of Boston" is correct). This dental work was bothering him at dinner.

    I left the next day thinking he was not healthy, but what could I do.

    On the flip side of this Rock'n Roll record, Dave had a full life. One of his early jobs out of
    college was for the Atlanta Federal Reserve, as he was an accountant. This started his banking
    career and his specialty was selling mortgages on the secondary market. He made large amounts of
    money for the Senovis (sp?) Bank in Birmingham, AL, with his skill in this secondary market. He also
    wrote software to do this selling in this market. This selling has alittle black magic associated
    with it, as his boss could not understand how he was so successful at it. So Dave was quite
    accomplished in this arena.

    In any case Nas, thanks for posting Dave's obit,
    --
    Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily,
    moderate exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

  5. Willbill

    Willbill Guest

    BigNascarFan wrote:

    > GROVES, DAVID G., age 57, of Birmingham, Alabama formerly of Chicago, died February 28, 2004 after
    > a long illness. Survivors include his daughter, Dana Ripple. A memorial service will be held in
    > Pennsylvania at a later time. Ridout's Elmwood Chapel is directing. <> Published in The Birmingham
    > News on 3/1/2004.
    >
    > http://www.legacy.com/Link.asp?Id=LS01982328X

    dave was right half the time, and when he was wrong, he was so wrong you were never in any
    doubt about it

    i hope i live another 30 years. if nothing else, to get a sense of how history will judge him. my
    own judgment is that he's right in there with Joslin. i'll grant only that the medical community is
    unlikely to see that any time soon

    thank you for posting his obit

    bill t1 since '57

  6. Sieweke

    Sieweke Guest

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3CEC18C8.F7A44FB2%40dontSPAMMEmindspring.com&output=gplain I've
    tried to get Groves to tone down his opinions since I've been in DIF. But he refuses. So I must try
    some work-around and that would be the newsletter that would buffer the public from him. His work
    with the web site has kept him very busy and out of everybody's way. But he's the only one who knows
    anything about it.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3CEAF72B.A692F800%40netzero.net&output=gplain
    5/21/2002 15:12:46 -0400, Jim Dumas <[email protected]> wrote:

    > There is a board meeting for DIF next month...

    > So I'm thinking about volunteering to be the editor and write an article on mathematical modelling
    > useful for insulin dosing...

    > Since I'll be the editor, I'll strike a balance between the beef insulin arguments and synthetics
    > that I use.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C4488A9.2DB63F4B%40dontSPAMMEmindspring.com&output=gplain
    Groves is 10 years older that I am. I'm the youngest member of DIF and will inherit the reins. We
    have tax exempt status as of May 2001 or so. So the train is still in the station and the schedule
    is being worked out now. My current DIF duties are to keep order and focus Groves (impossible task).
    Groves is starting to lose his mobility with the auto accident side leg. So he may not be an active
    player in DIF soon.

    The goal with you is just to keep the peace while the dust settles in
    DIF.Groves has no organizational skills, so that is my major function with DIF now. Start to set up
    the gears/procedures of the organization.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C44E28B.68D7D51D%40dontSPAMMEmindspring.com&output=gpla-
    in I admit that I'm probably the DIF alpha. Once Groves has beef insulin on the shelves, DIF
    will disappear (or he will disappear more likely). He's short sighted. (I'll propose he head
    up beef insulin clinical trial funding studies. This will be something he wants and then I'll
    drive the bus.)

    But IMO, DIF is necessary. We DMs need somebody watching out for us. So I would like DIF to be a
    permanent organization with some clout. As you can tell, I'm primarily a peace keeper myself. I
    would like that philosophy of check and balance to be ingrained in DIF.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C431F39.1EBDD4D5%40dontSPAMMEmindspring.com&output=gplain
    Next, I agree that he jams the gears in any organization he comes in contact with. Even now, he trys
    to convert me to beef insulin when we see each other. But I'm stable and happy with what I'm doing
    so I blow him off. This causes some friction but it ends in a few minutes and then we get something
    productive done.

    Now that you know I want to keep Groves away from the public, just email me if he shows and I'll
    help to move him on to his official duties. I'll probably set up a thread to suck him in, embarrass
    him in public and this will get him out of mhd for awhile.

    You should also realize how deliberate and methodical I am by now. If a side argument will not help
    to achieve the goal, it gets shutdown.

    Sorry to upset everybody, my mission is over, thanks,

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3D73E0B6.C67AF668%40deSPAMALATORmindspring.com&output=gplain AF
    the future of DIF, we are thinking about doing other things, like separate SBIR work. So there is a
    movement to turn everything over to Dave Groves concerning DIF, and he can run the show in unity. So
    DIF may quietly disintegrate this fall.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C3F7041.29DEA428%40dontSPAMMEmindspring.com&output=gplain I
    plan to keep Groves focused on you alone. I'm driving the bus.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=o028b.8656%24Yt.3234%40newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net&out-
    put=gplain
    1) For Mary, only friends tell each other what they really think.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3CACBEBA.5B827A58%40dontSPAMMEmindspring.com&output=gplain I'm
    a member of DIF (Diabetics International Foundation). Right now, it's focused on bringing beef and
    pork insulin back into the US market.

    As I mentioned in the Beav threads in the Jan-Feb time frame, I'd like to make DIF into a watchdog
    organization for all DMs. I envision some lobbyist organization in Washington, DC, to promote our
    cause and to hold the line against the pharmaceutical companies.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3CACCBF5.BE50250A%40dontSPAMMEmindspring.com&output=gplain
    Others have asked me to contact them when Groves is gone. So I'll add your name to that list. OK?

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3CAE15C1.FB770C1B%40netzero.net&output=gplain

    > to further make my point, I suggest we drop the subject until such a time when Mr. Groves and Ms.
    > Hunt are no longer "in charge" / involved.

    > jim dumas wrote:
    >>
    >> At this juncture, there is no other political organization to fill
    this void
    >> for the patient (we DMs). So it's better to keep your fingers on
    this
    >> democratic pulse. You have an inside track through me and it's
    free (no
    >> schilling!).

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3CAF6F7E.EC57AA86%40dontSPAMMEmindspring.com&output=gplain My
    approach with Groves is to ignore his views that are not in common with my own and work on issues
    we can agree on. This also means my engine is idling because he wants to do everything himself.
    Eventually, he'll ask for more help and I'll negotiate him away from the public. I'm a very
    patient person.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3CB0F551.1F5EA86C%40dontSPAMMEmindspring.com&output=gplain
    Moreover, it's important to realize Mr Groves will not be here forever and the rest of us should
    learn how to work together in some political organization to promote our views.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=BhR6b.8776%24_26.3141%40newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net&outpu-
    t=gplain My approach with this issue was to preemptively release this information before his enemies
    could jump
    DIG.Honesty is the best policy.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=%25H26b.472%24BG6.293%40newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net&outpu-
    t=gplain Next, in light of Dave Groves' health problems, I'm wondering where DIF will be going and
    if the "Gray Ribbon" organizational signature is worth saving for some future DM organization.

    If you thought of yourself as a friend to him, am glad that we don't know each other. Reading the ng
    and searching on Dave Groves and his DIF says otherwise. There are many more references than these
    that say so. A friend doesn't act like this-NIMHO.

    Jim Dumas <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > BigNascarFan wrote:
    >
    > > GROVES, DAVID G., age 57, of Birmingham, Alabama formerly of Chicago, died February 28, 2004
    > > after a long illness. Survivors include his daughter, Dana Ripple. A memorial service will be
    > > held in Pennsylvania at a later time. Ridout's Elmwood Chapel is directing. <> Published in The
    > > Birmingham News on 3/1/2004.
    > >
    > > http://www.legacy.com/Link.asp?Id=LS01982328X

  7. Alan Hardy

    Alan Hardy Guest

    sieweke wrote:

    > nastiness snipped

    David is dead, and now you jump on his grave. I think you are gutless.

    Al.

  8. you obviously didn't understand the post: try reading it again, Alan.

    dave

    Alan Hardy wrote:

    > sieweke wrote:
    >
    >>nastiness snipped
    >>

    > David is dead, and now you jump on his grave. I think you are gutless.
    >
    > Al.

  9. Jim Dumas

    Jim Dumas Guest

    sieweke wrote:

    > If you thought of yourself as a friend to him, am glad that we don't know each other. Reading the
    > ng and searching on Dave Groves and his DIF says otherwise. There are many more references than
    > these that say so. A friend doesn't act like this-NIMHO.

    Hi Sieweke,

    It's impossible to understand a decade relationship in 10 minutes of Googling newsgroup posts. But I
    admit I was disappointed with DIF's single focus on beef insulin issues.

    When Dave asked me to help by becoming a founding board member of DIF, I outlined my interests in
    working on clinical trial funding for academic researchers to investigate inexpensive methods to
    delay or prevent glycosylation, as with daily use of l-lysine, l-arginine or aspirin. I argued that
    this would be useful to all DMs, T1s and T2s. It would also never receive funding from the
    pharmaceutical companies, as there were no patents on these compounds to provide a profit motive. My
    vision for DIF was to do useful work that the professionals had overlooked or were unable to do.
    Needless to say, we never got off the ground and I admit that I'm angry at Dave for not using a
    democratic process at board meetings to seek out the board's collective wisdom.

    Even the Chairman of the Board, Dr Bob Blumenthal, the true owner of DIF, could not get Dave to
    cooperate with his agenda. The board failed to function and most of the members quit. Only Mary
    Hunt, after two resignations/reinstatements has remained on the board. Dr Bob gave up and was going
    to transfer the DIF organizational paperwork to Dave for $500 to cover his startup costs to receive
    tax exempt status, etc. But I'm not sure if he ever did this.

    When I first came to MHD in December 2001, I was looking for Novolog information. I soon realized
    the power of this global medium to discuss DM issues. But I never pushed DIF's agenda on MHD. It was
    through an argument with Gary Ennis that my DIF affiliation became public. I still think MHD is the
    perfect medium for worldwide discussion of issues concerning DMs. If some organization results from
    this interaction, so much the better. But I no longer think DIF will be this vehicle. There is just
    too much baggage from the past.

    In any case, tell me how you came to know Dave Groves. Are you using CP beef insulin as well?

    And nice to meet you of course,
    --
    Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily,
    moderate exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

  10. Sieweke

    Sieweke Guest

    Learned about Mr. Groves while reading this ng about 6 months ago when reading the "Dave Groves
    in hospital" thread. My one previous post well describes my opinion as to how his illness seemed
    to be an opportunity for some people to divulge supposed aspects of his personal life. Wasn't the
    one who originally posted the cited items referred to as nastiness by someone else. Primary
    author of them is
    Mr. Dumas, who said of his friend of 10 years:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C431F39.1EBDD4D5%40dontSPAMMEmindspring.com&output=gplain

    "Now that you know I want to keep Groves away from the public, just e mail me if he shows and I'll
    help to move him along to his official duties. I'll probably set up a thread to suck him in,
    embarrass him in public and this will get him out of mhd for awhile."

    I could read things like this for ten minutes or ten years and would be of the same opinion about
    it--friends don't set friends up. The issue has nothing to do with any aspect of diabetes. It has to
    do with character.

    .

    Jim Dumas <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > sieweke wrote:
    >
    > > If you thought of yourself as a friend to him, am glad that we don't know each other. Reading
    > > the ng and searching on Dave Groves and his DIF says otherwise. There are many more references
    > > than these that say so. A friend doesn't act like this-NIMHO.
    >
    > Hi Sieweke,
    >
    > It's impossible to understand a decade relationship in 10 minutes of Googling newsgroup posts. But
    > I admit I was disappointed with DIF's single focus on beef insulin issues.
    >
    > When Dave asked me to help by becoming a founding board member of DIF, I outlined my interests in
    > working on clinical trial funding for academic researchers to investigate inexpensive methods to
    > delay or prevent glycosylation, as with daily use of l-lysine, l-arginine or aspirin. I argued
    > that this would be useful to all DMs, T1s and T2s. It would also never receive funding from the
    > pharmaceutical companies, as there were no patents on these compounds to provide a profit motive.
    > My vision for DIF was to do useful work that the professionals had overlooked or were unable to
    > do. Needless to say, we never got off the ground and I admit that I'm angry at Dave for not using
    > a democratic process at board meetings to seek out the board's collective wisdom.
    >
    > Even the Chairman of the Board, Dr Bob Blumenthal, the true owner of DIF, could not get Dave to
    > cooperate with his agenda. The board failed to function and most of the members quit. Only Mary
    > Hunt, after two resignations/reinstatements has remained on the board. Dr Bob gave up and was
    > going to transfer the DIF organizational paperwork to Dave for $500 to cover his startup costs to
    > receive tax exempt status, etc. But I'm not sure if he ever did this.
    >
    > When I first came to MHD in December 2001, I was looking for Novolog information. I soon realized
    > the power of this global medium to discuss DM issues. But I never pushed DIF's agenda on MHD. It
    > was through an argument with Gary Ennis that my DIF affiliation became public. I still think MHD
    > is the perfect medium for worldwide discussion of issues concerning DMs. If some organization
    > results from this interaction, so much the better. But I no longer think DIF will be this vehicle.
    > There is just too much baggage from the past.
    >
    > In any case, tell me how you came to know Dave Groves. Are you using CP beef insulin as well?
    >
    > And nice to meet you of course,

  11. Jim Dumas

    Jim Dumas Guest

    sieweke wrote:

    > Learned about Mr. Groves while reading this ng about 6 months ago when reading the "Dave Groves
    > in hospital" thread. My one previous post well describes my opinion as to how his illness seemed
    > to be an opportunity for some people to divulge supposed aspects of his personal life. Wasn't the
    > one who originally posted the cited items referred to as nastiness by someone else. Primary
    > author of them is
    > Mr. Dumas, who said of his friend of 10 years:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C431F39.1EBDD4D5%40dontSPAMMEmindspring.com&output=gplain

    > "Now that you know I want to keep Groves away from the public, just e mail me if he shows and I'll
    > help to move him along to his official duties. I'll probably set up a thread to suck him in,
    > embarrass him in public and this will get him out of mhd for awhile."
    >
    > I could read things like this for ten minutes or ten years and would be of the same opinion about
    > it--friends don't set friends up. The issue has nothing to do with any aspect of diabetes. It has
    > to do with character.

    We're all entitled to our opinions.

    So you've never met Dave Groves.

    You should reserve your opinions until you meet both parties in any relationship. You should study
    how they interact before you pass judgement on either party. If you make decisions with only half
    the required data, you're not making an optimal decision.

    In any case, the next question was: Do you use CP beef insulin? I take it you don't.

    This begs the question: Why are you in this thread?
    --
    Jim Dumas T1 4/86, background retinopathy, rarely hypoglycemic: <1/mo. lispro+R+U+NPH daily,
    moderate exercise, typically <6% HbA1c

  12. Sieweke

    Sieweke Guest

    Stand by the opinion that friends don't behave like this. Re: observance of interaction: Persons
    serving on juries do not observe the person accused while the offense is committed; they must rely
    on the evidence presented to them to come to their conclusions.

    It is entirely possible for one to import beef insulin without having ever met Mr. Groves.

    The same could be asked of you: If you don't use beef insulin, what are YOU doing in this thread?
    The ng is available to the public; all threads with no "beef only" ones. My impression was that it
    was to serve as a source of information for all those with diabetes whether someone chose to post to
    it or not.

    Again, I stand by my opinion that friendship is not setting someone up or making disparaging remarks
    about someone. Seems like we do not define it similarly and therefore will not be able to agree.

    Jim Dumas <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > sieweke wrote:
    >
    > > Learned about Mr. Groves while reading this ng about 6 months ago when reading the "Dave Groves
    > > in hospital" thread. My one previous post well describes my opinion as to how his illness seemed
    > > to be an opportunity for some people to divulge supposed aspects of his personal life. Wasn't
    > > the one who originally posted the cited items referred to as nastiness by someone else. Primary
    > > author of them is
    > > Mr. Dumas, who said of his friend of 10 years:
    > >

    > http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C431F39.1EBDD4D5%40dontSPAMMEmindspring.com&output=gplain
    > >
    > > "Now that you know I want to keep Groves away from the public, just e mail me if he shows and
    > > I'll help to move him along to his official duties. I'll probably set up a thread to suck him
    > > in, embarrass him in public and this will get him out of mhd for awhile."
    > >
    > > I could read things like this for ten minutes or ten years and would be of the same opinion
    > > about it--friends don't set friends up. The issue has nothing to do with any aspect of diabetes.
    > > It has to do with character.
    >
    > We're all entitled to our opinions.
    >
    > So you've never met Dave Groves.
    >
    > You should reserve your opinions until you meet both parties in any relationship. You should study
    > how they interact before you pass judgement on either party. If you make decisions with only half
    > the required data, you're not making an optimal decision.
    >
    > In any case, the next question was: Do you use CP beef insulin? I take it you don't.
    >
    > This begs the question: Why are you in this thread?

  13. and I see Alan never apologized to you for jumping on your first post to
    this thread. Some guys just are too egotistical to admit they were
    wrong. I always apologize when I goof up, because it's the sporting
    thing to do! :) (Alan, are you reading this?)

    dave

    sieweke wrote:

    > Stand by the opinion that friends don't behave like this. Re: observance of interaction: Persons
    > serving on juries do not observe the person accused while the offense is committed; they must rely
    > on the evidence presented to them to come to their conclusions.
    >
    > It is entirely possible for one to import beef insulin without having ever met Mr. Groves.
    >
    > The same could be asked of you: If you don't use beef insulin, what are YOU doing in this thread?
    > The ng is available to the public; all threads with no "beef only" ones. My impression was that it
    > was to serve as a source of information for all those with diabetes whether someone chose to post
    > to it or not.
    >
    > Again, I stand by my opinion that friendship is not setting someone up or making disparaging
    > remarks about someone. Seems like we do not define it similarly and therefore will not be able
    > to agree.
    >

    > Jim Dumas <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>sieweke wrote:
    >>

    >>>Learned about Mr. Groves while reading this ng about 6 months ago when reading the "Dave Groves
    >>>in hospital" thread. My one previous post well describes my opinion as to how his illness seemed
    >>>to be an opportunity for some people to divulge supposed aspects of his personal life. Wasn't the
    >>>one who originally posted the cited items referred to as nastiness by someone else. Primary
    >>>author of them is
    >>>Mr. Dumas, who said of his friend of 10 years:
    >>>

    >> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C431F39.1EBDD4D5%40dontSPAMMEmindspring.com&output=gplain
    >>
    >>>"Now that you know I want to keep Groves away from the public, just e mail me if he shows and
    >>>I'll help to move him along to his official duties. I'll probably set up a thread to suck him in,
    >>>embarrass him in public and this will get him out of mhd for awhile."
    >>>
    >>>I could read things like this for ten minutes or ten years and would be of the same opinion about
    >>>it--friends don't set friends up. The issue has nothing to do with any aspect of diabetes. It has
    >>>to do with character.
    >>
    >>We're all entitled to our opinions.
    >>
    >>So you've never met Dave Groves.
    >>
    >>You should reserve your opinions until you meet both parties in any relationship. You should study
    >>how they interact before you pass judgement on either party. If you make decisions with only half
    >>the required data, you're not making an optimal decision.
    >>
    >>In any case, the next question was: Do you use CP beef insulin? I take it you don't.
    >>
    >>This begs the question: Why are you in this thread?

  14. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 21:55:19 GMT, Bay Area Dave <[email protected]> wrote:

    >and I see Alan never apologized to you for jumping on your first post to this thread. Some guys
    >just are too egotistical to admit they were wrong. I always apologize when I goof up, because it's
    >the sporting thing to do! :) (Alan, are you reading this?)
    >
    >dave

    I'm reading - I never posted??? Seems to be my day for apologies - what did I do?

    Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

  15. Alan Hardy, Alan; not YOU.

    dave

    Alan wrote:

    > On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 21:55:19 GMT, Bay Area Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>and I see Alan never apologized to you for jumping on your first post to this thread. Some guys
    >>just are too egotistical to admit they were wrong. I always apologize when I goof up, because it's
    >>the sporting thing to do! :) (Alan, are you reading this?)
    >>
    >>dave
    >

    > I'm reading - I never posted??? Seems to be my day for apologies - what did I do?
    >
    > Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
    > --
    > Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

  16. Jim Dumas

    Jim Dumas Guest

    sieweke wrote:

    > Stand by the opinion that friends don't behave like this. Re: observance of
    > interaction: Persons serving on juries do not observe the person accused while
    > the offense is committed; they must rely on the evidence presented to them to
    > come to their conclusions.
    >
    > It is entirely possible for one to import beef insulin without having ever met
    > Mr. Groves.
    >
    > The same could be asked of you: If you don't use beef insulin, what are
    > YOU doing in this thread? The ng is available to the public; all threads
    > with no "beef only" ones. My impression was that it was to serve as a
    > source of information for all those with diabetes whether someone chose to
    > post to it or not.
    >
    > Again, I stand by my opinion that friendship is not setting someone up or
    > making disparaging remarks about someone. Seems like we do not define it
    > similarly and therefore will not be able to agree.

    Dear Friend (I'm sure you don't mind),

    Friendship is not a binary, on-or-off, black and white issue. There are countless
    shades of gray.

    But to keep you happy with your narrow mindset, Dave was not my friend.

    That should end the argument. Best wishes,
    --

  17. Bay Area Dave <[email protected]> wrote on Fri, 05 Mar 2004 22:55:38 GMT:
    > Alan Hardy, Alan; not YOU.

    Nor me! But a happy Saturday to everybody!

    > dave

    > Alan wrote:

    This is getting confusing!

    --
    Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany) Email: [email protected]; to
    decode, wherever there is a repeated letter (like "aa"),

  18. that's true! It wasn't you either!

    dave

    Alan Mackenzie wrote:

    > Bay Area Dave <[email protected]> wrote on Fri, 05 Mar 2004
    > 22:55:38 GMT:
    >
    >>Alan Hardy, Alan; not YOU.
    >

    > Nor me! But a happy Saturday to everybody!
    >

    >>dave
    >

    >>Alan wrote:
    >

    > This is getting confusing!

  19. Beav

    Beav Guest

    "sieweke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3CEC18C8.F7A44FB2%40do-
    ntSPAMMEmindspring.com&output=gplain

    > If you thought of yourself as a friend to him, am glad
    > that we don't know each other.

    Who actually said they were a friend of DG? And even if
    you're NOT a friend, or if you don't happen to like a
    person, that doesn't mean you can't feel sorry that
    he's died.

    Reading the ng and searching on Dave Groves and his
    > DIF says otherwise. There are many more references than
    > these that say so. A friend doesn't act like this-NIMHO.

    A friend doesn't act like what? Have discussion (heated or
    otherwise) on a newsgroup? Dave Groves knew exactly what he
    was doing when he came onto the newsgroups, but
    unfortunateyl things didn't pan out as he wanted them. That
    doesn't make him a bad person or anyone who argued with him
    a bas person.

    Friends DO argue, as do enemies, but the death of either
    friend nor foe is still something to be unhappy about.

    Beav

  20. Beav

    Beav Guest

    "Jim Dumas" <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > sieweke wrote:
    >
    > > Learned about Mr. Groves while reading this ng about 6
    > > months ago when reading the "Dave Groves in hospital"
    > > thread. My one previous post well describes my opinion
    > > as to how his illness seemed to be an opportunity for
    > > some people to divulge supposed aspects of his personal
    > > life. Wasn't the one who originally posted the cited
    > > items referred to as nastiness by someone else. Primary
    > > author of them is
    > > Mr. Dumas, who said of his friend of 10 years:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C431F39.1EBDD4D5%40do-
    ntSPAMMEmindspring.com&output=gplain

    > > "Now that you know I want to keep Groves away from the
    > > public, just e mail me if he shows and I'll help to move
    > > him along to his official duties. I'll probably set up a
    > > thread to suck him in, embarrass him in public and this
    > > will get him out of mhd for awhile."
    > >
    > > I could read things like this for ten minutes or ten
    > > years and would be of the same opinion about it--friends
    > > don't set friends up. The issue has nothing to do with
    > > any aspect of diabetes. It has to do with character.
    >
    > We're all entitled to our opinions.
    >
    > So you've never met Dave Groves.
    >
    > You should reserve your opinions until you meet both
    > parties in any relationship.

    That's a bit of a low blow Jim. It's abviously not going to
    happen is it?

    You should study how they interact before you pass
    judgement
    > on either party. If you make decisions with only half the
    > required data, you're not making an optimal decision.
    >
    > In any case, the next question was: Do you use CP beef
    > insulin? I take it you don't.
    >
    > This begs the question: Why are you in this thread?

    But it's not your place to ask why ANYONE is involved in ANY
    thread is it?

    Come on Jim, accept what S said. you did say you'd set DG
    up for an embarrasing moment, and he's right, friends
    DON'T do that.

    Beav