old-style "computers"

totolacoste

Sep 24, 2007
Hi,
I'm planning a trip around Southern France and the North of Spain next year, and I want a cycle computer. Thing is, I don't want to know my speed, the time, the wind speed or the NASDAQ. I remember I had a little metal counter that fitted to the fork with a small "nipple" attached to the spoke and which "tripped" the counter at each wheel turn.

Do these things still exist and if so, anyone know where I can buy one?

Thanks.

t

are you looking for something like this?

1979-09-B.jpg

If so, I think these dinosaurs disappeared in the 1980's. The Multito was the improved belt-drive version of the noisy Lucas striker-driven star wheel cyclometer.

You might try ebay, the yellow jersey or old local shops that might still have one stashed away.

totolacoste said:
Hi,
I'm planning a trip around Southern France and the North of Spain next year, and I want a cycle computer. Thing is, I don't want to know my speed, the time, the wind speed or the NASDAQ. I remember I had a little metal counter that fitted to the fork with a small "nipple" attached to the spoke and which "tripped" the counter at each wheel turn.

Do these things still exist and if so, anyone know where I can buy one?

Thanks.

t
I've got one of the star-wheel "clickers" from the 70's, but certainly wouldn't want it on a bike today: it's noisy, hard to read while riding, and can't be calibrated.

Get a basic computer, eg, Cateye Mity 8. Leave it set to ODO, and you'll have exactly the same function as the old clickers. Plus, with a click of a button, you can have your trip (resettable) mileage displayed, as well as the time of day.

dhk2 said:
I've got one of the star-wheel "clickers" from the 70's, but certainly wouldn't want it on a bike today: it's noisy, hard to read while riding, and can't be calibrated.

Get a basic computer, eg, Cateye Mity 8. Leave it set to ODO, and you'll have exactly the same function as the old clickers. Plus, with a click of a button, you can have your trip (resettable) mileage displayed, as well as the time of day.
+1 on the inexpensive Cateye. It's reliable and easy to set up. I just replaced a 15-year-old one with a new one and it dropped right in to the same mounting bracket as the old one. Compatibility across 15+ years is a great and rare thing in this day and age.

-som

som5 said:
+1 on the inexpensive Cateye. It's reliable and easy to set up. I just replaced a 15-year-old one with a new one and it dropped right in to the same mounting bracket as the old one. Compatibility across 15+ years is a great and rare thing in this day and age.

Thanks for the replies, guys. OK, 'looks like I'm going to have to go with progress, then. :)

Thanks again.