One for cfsmtb (bike & garden related)

cfsmtb said:
Hmm, the guards match Furry Frank's banana seat:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51035538080@N01/85083798/

Yeah, you're right. I like gardening & growing kennebec potatoes near the front fence. The sunflower forest is currently turning a few heads too.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51035538080@N01/tags/gardenpixjan06/

Why not, huh? :p

oooh. jealous... my pathetic new patch of veggie garden aspires to be like yours... damn broccoli and leek seedlings taking forever and non-sprouting pumpkin seeds!!

eddiec said:
oooh. jealous... my pathetic new patch of veggie garden aspires to be like yours... damn broccoli and leek seedlings taking forever and non-sprouting pumpkin seeds!!

Don't know the details of your veggie patch, but I'll hand out some aus.bicycle.gardening.cats advice.

It's not too late to kick off some summer crops or start winter crops (like leeks etc) - but they will need plenty of mulch, nutrients, moisture and protection. Hint: peastraw, worm farm castings (very easy - just feed from kitchen scraps) & newspaper underneath. We actually put up a shadesail on the recent 40C+ days, but the potatoes still ended up 'rooted'. And please - water only during the evening. Otherwise it's just wasting your time & water. Leafy greens like lettuce, chicory, pak choi & rocket are very easy.

cfsmtb said:
Don't know the details of your veggie patch, but I'll hand out some aus.bicycle.gardening.cats advice.

It's not too late to kick off some summer crops or start winter crops (like leeks etc) - but they will need plenty of mulch, nutrients, moisture and protection. Hint: peastraw, worm farm castings (very easy - just feed from kitchen scraps) & newspaper underneath. We actually put up a shadesail on the recent 40C+ days, but the potatoes still ended up 'rooted'. And please - water only during the evening. Otherwise it's just wasting your time & water. Leafy greens like lettuce, chicory, pak choi & rocket are very easy.

thanks!

I think the next year or so is experimentation-year as it's a new house and I'm learning all the sun/wind patterns and so on, as well as improving soil...

At least the worm farm is working well! And the nice previous-owners left the glasshouse for the seedlings!

eddiec wrote:

> oooh. jealous... my pathetic new patch of veggie garden aspires to be
> like yours... damn broccoli and leek seedlings taking forever and
> non-sprouting pumpkin seeds!!

Buy a nice bit of Qld Blue, then"compost" by digging into the garden.
Vines everywhere, flowers even.

Don't wait for fruit (too late, too iffy), pick flowers, take off yellow
part, wash, pat dry and use in omelettes.

This year I was determined to get some real pumpkins by making sure that
the flowers were fertilised, but nothing before we left and nothing
after "holidays", so they are now all compost and the garden labourer is
now starting on autumn planting.

Holy smoke, cfsmtb, you've got quite the vegie patch.

Abby should have a look at your photos.

My new house (move in next weekend) is seriously fruity! There are 4 or 5 pawpaw trees, a suspected avocado tree, a lemon tree, a well established chilli bush and 3 or 4 banana palms (or herbs.. whatever they are). Will have to take photos once we move in. That is, of course, before the dogs eat all the pawpaws and proceed to squirt them all over the back yard by way of diarrhoea.

Lotte

LotteBum said:
Holy smoke, cfsmtb, you've got quite the vegie patch.

Abby should have a look at your photos.

My new house (move in next weekend) is seriously fruity! There are 4 or 5 pawpaw trees, a suspected avocado tree, a lemon tree, a well established chilli bush and 3 or 4 banana palms (or herbs.. whatever they are). Will have to take photos once we move in. That is, of course, before the dogs eat all the pawpaws and proceed to squirt them all over the back yard by way of diarrhoea.

Lotte
ahh to have pawpaw trees and avocadoes in the yard again...that's all I miss about south east queensland, but at least i do have a prime example of the ubiqitous Beaumaris lemon tree which supplies all my neighbours fish and chip dinners and some pretty neat stone fruit I share with the avian population....and if some one can come up with a camelia recipe then I will never starve, they are prolific and even my Possum tribe ( which seems to dine on my Camelias endlessly) thank me with waves and smiles from the ridge capping most nights....

cfsmtb said:
Don't know the details of your veggie patch, but I'll hand out some aus.bicycle.gardening.cats advice.

SNIP:
And please - water only during the evening. Otherwise it's just wasting your time & water.

Talk about opening a can of worms! :D
Have been told by commercial vege grower and ex staff of Burnley Ag College that watering in the evening is an open invitation to fungus, mould, mildew type diseases.
Apparently if weather conditions are right, ie. warm, moist and no wind the spores that are ever present will multiply and do their disease thing. By not watering at night at least the moisture can be controlled to a degree and the chances of disease limited. Its about balance between disease control and water loss to evaporation, which is no where near as high as some alarmists would have you believe.

Most commercial growers start watering about 0400 in the morning and the rising sun evaporates the excess moisture off the plants. By the time the day has warmed up the water has soaked in and there is minimal soil evaporation. Of course mulch will lessen evaporation but it "can" harbour fungus spores too. In hot weather they will also water in the afternoon but will finish early enough to allow the moisture to evaporate off the surface of the plants before sunset.

When the soil temp starts to drop (autumn) watering at night will slow the plants development by cooling the soil for a longer period. Difference between cold-damp for 12 hours compared to 2 hours when done at sunrise.

"Damping off" is a fungus that kills seedlings in a couple of hours and it especially loves warm, damp un-ventilated greenhouses.

Anyone from around Sheparton will be very familiar with the "brown rot alerts" every time a fog is likely on warm still nights. Kevin Heinze from 3LO etc etc is a morning waterer too.

Watering at night is just another crazy excuse to justify daylight savings. :D :D Ducks for cover ;)

Happy Gardening everyone.

Hugh

Gardening Tip for bike riding cat owners. Use Pony Pellets ( small) or small Lucern pellets ( cheapest small pellets will do) instead of "kitty litter" or similar clay products that you can only throw away.
Contents of the cats tray can then be tipped into the compost bin or sprinkled around trees. Usual warning about using gardening gloves if you have a cat. They can pass on some soil borne disease to humans but I forget its name.

Paw Paw Paw Paw Paw Paw Paw Paw

rooman wrote:

> LotteBum Wrote:
> > Holy smoke, cfsmtb, you've got quite the vegie patch.
> >
> > Abby should have a look at your photos.
> >
> > My new house (move in next weekend) is seriously fruity! There are 4 or
> > 5 pawpaw trees, a suspected avocado tree, a lemon tree, a well
> > established chilli bush and 3 or 4 banana palms (or herbs.. whatever
> > they are). Will have to take photos once we move in. That is, of
> > course, before the dogs eat all the pawpaws and proceed to squirt them
> > all over the back yard by way of diarrhoea.
> >
> > Lotte

> ahh to have pawpaw trees and avocadoes in the yard again...that's all I
> miss about south east queensland, but at least i do have a prime example
> of the ubiqitous Beaumaris lemon tree which supplies all my neighbours
> fish and chip dinners and some pretty neat stone fruit I share with the
> avian population....and if some one can come up with a camelia recipe
> then I will never starve, they are prolific and even my Possum tribe (
> which seems to dine on my Camelias endlessly) thank me with waves and
> smiles from the ridge capping most nights....
>
> --
> rooman

A lemon tree that supplies fish and chip dinners? Where do I get me one
of them?

Tam

On 2006-01-13, HughMann (aka Bruce)
> Most commercial growers start watering about 0400 in the morning and
> the rising sun evaporates the excess moisture off the plants. By the
> time the day has warmed up the water has soaked in and there is minimal
> soil evaporation. Of course mulch will lessen evaporation but it "can"
> harbour fungus spores too. In hot weather they will also water in the
> afternoon but will finish early enough to allow the moisture to
> evaporate off the surface of the plants before sunset.

What about just watering the ground, and not the plant itself? You
are not meant to get water on leaves during the day, because somehow
the water and sunlight ends up burning the leaves.

My garden is extensive enough that I have to sit there at my 3 pot
plants for about 45 seconds to water them all. I just have to
remember to do it more often than once per 2 weeks :)

--
TimC
An Emacs reference mug is what I want. It would hold ten gallons of coffee.

On 2006-01-13, rooman (aka Bruce)

> LotteBum Wrote:
>> Holy smoke, cfsmtb, you've got quite the vegie patch.
>>
>> Abby should have a look at your photos.
>>
>> My new house (move in next weekend) is seriously fruity! There are 4 or
>> 5 pawpaw trees, a suspected avocado tree, a lemon tree, a well
>> established chilli bush and 3 or 4 banana palms (or herbs.. whatever
>> they are). Will have to take photos once we move in. That is, of
>> course, before the dogs eat all the pawpaws and proceed to squirt them
>> all over the back yard by way of diarrhoea.
>>

> ahh to have pawpaw trees and avocadoes in the yard again...that's all I
> miss about south east queensland,

We lived 30m from a Caloundra beach in a large modern house with quite
cheap rent. We had a coconut tree, and a mango tree that beared
(bore?) quite decent fruits.

Of course, the beach was infested with jelly fish, and the rips were
far too dangerous to swim in. And I don't quite know why we moved out
after 3 months -- probably trying to get away from the ******* of a
ex-husband, after the ******* caused us to move away from 2 former
towns that we were quite happy with. Grrr.

--
TimC
FORTRAN is a good example of a language which is easier to parse

HughMann said:
Gardening Tip for bike riding cat owners. Use Pony Pellets ( small) or small Lucern pellets ( cheapest small pellets will do) instead of "kitty litter" or similar clay products that you can only throw away.
Contents of the cats tray can then be tipped into the compost bin or sprinkled around trees. Usual warning about using gardening gloves if you have a cat. They can pass on some soil borne disease to humans but I forget its name.
I was told never to use cat or dog droppings in compost because the worming agents we use come out in their poo and kills earth worms as well. If you could use dog poo in your compost, then that's just about all my compost bin would comprise - my dogs, combined, leave behind about 4kg of **** every day.

Lotte

P.S. Did I mention my dogs **** a lot?

Tamyka Bell said:
rooman wrote:
>snip...
>

> ahh to have pawpaw trees and avocadoes in the yard again...that's all I
> miss about south east queensland, but at least i do have a prime example
> of the ubiqitous Beaumaris lemon tree which supplies all my neighbours
> fish and chip dinners and some pretty neat stone fruit I share with the
> avian population....and if some one can come up with a camelia recipe
> then I will never starve, they are prolific and even my Possum tribe (
> which seems to dine on my Camelias endlessly) thank me with waves and
> smiles from the ridge capping most nights....
>
> --
> rooman

A lemon tree that supplies fish and chip dinners? Where do I get me one
of them?

Tam
***********, and they leave the fish bones all over the footpath , blighters...

think you can handle the clean up?

...seems the locals love the tree, have made it their source of lemons for yonks and find it hard to buy their own for some reason...saw one picking from a ladder one day and asked him if he would help me prune the rest of the yard, he just said " nope, just a few lemons, weve had 'em off this tree for 40 years, hope you dont mine if we keep getting 'em ?"...hmmm too bad if I did eh...but he hasnt been seen since, maybe its the 12 gauge shells I left under the tree put him off... or the epsom salts pack I mentioned I'd ram down his throat if he came back within 10 feet of the tree again....hmmm must learn to share and not scare my community...

LotteBum said:
I was told never to use cat or dog droppings in compost because the worming agents we use come out in their poo and kills earth worms as well. If you could use dog poo in your compost, then that's just about all my compost bin would comprise - my dogs, combined, leave behind about 4kg of **** every day.

Lotte

P.S. Did I mention my dogs **** a lot?

ROFLMAO dog **** has to be the pits - especially on bike paths when hit at speed :mad:

I understand that - and could be wrong - but havent the new skin applied wormers changed all that advice about worms in the soil. Was it ever scientific or just more "pub talk"

We only have one cat so the volume of **** is minute. We dont have soil here by the beach in Townsville - we got sand and theres no worms anywhere. Lots of other tiny critters in the soil though. Now how do I kill all those terestial termites that eat my tomato stakes off in a month.
Star pickets for tomatoes - thats industrial gardening.

Dont the pet shops sell a composting thingo for dog poo. Think its burried in the ground and has a lid.

Cheers
Hugh

Mentioned bike once :p

Tamyka Bell said:
A lemon tree that supplies fish and chip dinners? Where do I get me one
of them?

Monsanto have a concept unit up & growing as part of their development opportunities.

TimC said:
>What about just watering the ground, and not the plant itself?

Assume u mean drippers. Excellent in the right place but costs heaps to install and maintain. Very unreliable around kids and dogs.

TimC said:
>You are not meant to get water on leaves during the day, because somehow the water and sunlight ends up burning the leaves.

Sorry - its just another urban myth. :(
This one was given a deadly blow ages ago and it still refuses to die. The "dont water in the day because all the water will evaporate" myth has tried to replace it but just cant get enough traction. I heard all these in Sydney in the 1950's when there were severe water shortages before the Warragamba Dam was built. The truth might be that it was a disinformation campaign to conserve water and electricity. Councils have been watering parks during the hottest part of the day forever and have not burnt anything. The myth goes along the lines that the droplets of water form a "lens" which concentrates the suns rays and burns the plant. It just doesnt happen. The reason councils water during the day is so they can see if the sprinklers have been vandalised/ are stuffed, and fix them. Wont pay overtime for gardeners or plumbers.

Riding bikes over pop up sprinklers will not damage them - the bikes that is!

Cheers

Hugh

HughMann wrote:

> Assume u mean drippers. Excellent in the right place but costs heaps
> to install and maintain. Very unreliable around kids and dogs.

It was the ants for me. If they weren't run daily, then the ants moved
in. The problem was the number of ant bodies caused repeated blockages.