one piece crankset removal roadster

Aaron

Guest
I have a prewar roadster that has a one piece crankset that is siezed.
It does not have the normal nut on the left side of the bottom
bracket. It has an inner piece with two pin holes and an outer piece
that is round also. What is the process to remove the bb and the
crank?

TIA,

Aaron

On 22 Sep 2004 19:01:59 -0700, [email protected] (Aaron) wrote:

>I have a prewar roadster that has a one piece crankset that is siezed.
>It does not have the normal nut on the left side of the bottom
>bracket. It has an inner piece with two pin holes and an outer piece
>that is round also. What is the process to remove the bb and the
>crank?

If I am not mistaken, the usual technique still applies, but you'll
need a two-pin spanner to loosen the locknut. I've only seen that
kind of assembly once, and it was a long time ago; I *think* the
bearing adjusting cone's pin spanner holes were uncovered when the
locknut was removed, and I believe the same pin spanner did both
pieces. Beware of the left-hand thread!
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Werehatrack wrote:
> On 22 Sep 2004 19:01:59 -0700, [email protected] (Aaron) wrote:
>
>> I have a prewar roadster that has a one piece crankset that is
>> siezed. It does not have the normal nut on the left side of the
>> bottom bracket. It has an inner piece with two pin holes and an
>> outer piece that is round also. What is the process to remove the bb
>> and the crank?

> If I am not mistaken, the usual technique still applies, but you'll
> need a two-pin spanner to loosen the locknut. I've only seen that
> kind of assembly once, and it was a long time ago; I *think* the
> bearing adjusting cone's pin spanner holes were uncovered when the
> locknut was removed, and I believe the same pin spanner did both
> pieces. Beware of the left-hand thread!

The ones I've worked on were slotted across the diameter, so that might work
too.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training