Opinions: Airborne Zeppelin & Abici Vader?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Doug Pearl, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Doug Pearl

    Doug Pearl Guest

    Considering one of the two for fast recreational riding and possibly for a re-entry into racing
    after a couple yrs off. I currently ride a Lemond Zurich (Reynolds 853 steel). I'd like something a
    bit lighter and a bit more responsive acceleration-wise. But at 145-150lbs, I don't need anything
    too stiffy.

    Thanks, Doug

    Tags:

  2. Although I don't have the Vader, I do have the Abici Podium, which has the same geometry. It rides
    nicely. I've never ridden an Airborne, so I can't compare the two. From other threads I've read
    about carbon stays, it seems like there more just for show, so you may want to consider all titanium
    or all aluminum. The biggest thing you need to figure out is fit.

    >Subject: Opinions: Airborne Zeppelin & Abici Vader? From: Doug Pearl [email protected] Date: 1/20/03
    >6:46 PM Pacific Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >
    >Considering one of the two for fast recreational riding and possibly for a re-entry into racing
    >after a couple yrs off. I currently ride a Lemond Zurich (Reynolds 853 steel). I'd like something a
    >bit lighter and a bit more responsive acceleration-wise. But at 145-150lbs, I don't need anything
    >too stiffy.
    >
    >Thanks, Doug

    Josh Zlotlow [email protected] Sacramento, California Sacramento Golden Wheelmen www.sacgw.com

  3. Me

    Me Guest

    I have had a Zep now for 4 years and love it. Very good bike. Zero problems. I also bought a Carpe
    Diem about 2 years ago to tour on.. another great bike

    "Doug Pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > Considering one of the two for fast recreational riding and possibly for a re-entry into racing
    > after a couple yrs off. I currently ride a Lemond Zurich (Reynolds 853 steel). I'd like something
    > a bit lighter and a bit more responsive acceleration-wise. But at 145-150lbs, I don't need
    > anything too stiffy.
    >
    > Thanks, Doug

  4. Eric Murray

    Eric Murray Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Joshua Zlotlow <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Although I don't have the Vader, I do have the Abici Podium, which has the same geometry. It rides
    >nicely. I've never ridden an Airborne, so I can't compare the two. From other threads I've read
    >about carbon stays, it seems like there more just for show, so you may want to consider all
    >titanium or all aluminum.

    The Zepplin is all Ti. I have one and I love it. You may be thinking of the Manhattan Project, which
    is Ti with CF stays.

    I raced in the 80s and early 90s on a Vitus aluminum, which was famed for being light, comfortable
    and whippy. The Zep is much more comfortable yet a bit stiffer in the BB, but in a good way. The
    Vitus flex never bothered me or slowed me down but its nice to have a bike that responds when you
    stand on the pedals. It's not quite like a good 531 frame in that regard, but its not far off and
    the comfort is worth it.

    I bought the Zep as my re-entry bike after eight years off the bike. I just ride for fun now, no
    racing. But I'd race the Zep if I was racing. It's not super trick or ultra light, but it'd do fine.
    I'm 6', 160 lbs and dropping.

    The Zep came well set up (I bought mine online, they also sell in stores now). I had one minor issue
    (rear der. kept coming out of adjustment) and Airborne promptly told me how to fix it when I posted
    on their bulliten board (better than calling IMHO, I hate phones). If you know how to position
    yourself or think you do, then ordering online is great.

    The welds look good. The bike isn't real pretty, design wise, but when I'm riding I'm not looking
    at the bike.

    Eric