opinions on '06 REI Randonee

Bot

Guest
Hi there,

I plan to buy a '06 REI Randonee for commuting. The Randonee has
been around for a long time, but the '06 is spec'ed much differently
(better and more expensive). I'm just wondering what people who
bought it have to say.

I'm used to V brakes, and don't quite like the cantilever brakes on it
-- is there a big difference in stopping power? Also I'm not sure if I
can mount fenders.

Thanks.

Ed

"Bot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi there,
>
> I plan to buy a '06 REI Randonee for commuting. The Randonee has
> been around for a long time, but the '06 is spec'ed much differently
> (better and more expensive). I'm just wondering what people who
> bought it have to say.
>
> I'm used to V brakes, and don't quite like the cantilever brakes on it
> -- is there a big difference in stopping power? Also I'm not sure if I
> can mount fenders.

The only thing I find really undesirable about the 06 is the adjustable
stem, but it's easy enough to live with or to change. Otherwise, the bike
is, as you say, quite a bit upgraded from (for example) my 2000 Randonee,
which continues to serve me well.

I like all the changes. The gearing is perfect (it used to be too high).
IMO there really isn't a bad part on the bike. If your local REI is
convenient and has a good bike department (they do seem to vary), I think
this bike compares quite well to similar models from Bianchi and Trek.

REI has frequent sales, and I imagine there's one coming for Memorial Day.
They also have a price protection policy. When I bought my Randonee several
years ago I bought it a couple of weeks before the Labor Day sale (while
they still had my size in stock), and then went back after the sale and got
a refund for the price difference.

RichC

On 25 Apr 2006 17:27:55 -0700, "Bot" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I plan to buy a '06 REI Randonee for commuting. The Randonee has
>been around for a long time, but the '06 is spec'ed much differently
>(better and more expensive). I'm just wondering what people who
>bought it have to say.

Bought one last month, and when the old bike _finally_ got fixed, made
it the backup bike to the new Randonee. Note I got it on the 20% off
sale, so it was a really good deal!

GOOD: Decent value for the price. They finally got up to a 9-speed
Tiagra. OK, 10-speed is coming, but it's compatible with the rest of
the family road bikes. "Stock" components should be easier to replace
in years to come than some of the price-shaved ones previous models
featured.

Plenty of room for fenders. I have some (although all REI had in
stock was for narrower tires), but haven't installed them yet.

Sturdy rack included. Very nice rear reach, including mounting hole
for blinky (no more jerry-rigging blinky connections!). I'm having to
rig a lower connection for my old panniers with a bottom ring
attachment, though.

I personally like the rotating "adjustable" stem. YMMV.

IFFY: I think the wheels need to be tensioned more than they came,
especially the front. I don't know if it's just me, but I have a hard
time getting my red spoke wrench to fit. Mechanic at the REI said
it's not problem for his worn, enlarged spoke wrench.

Handling is twitchier than I'm used to for a commute bike. Some might
say (flip side) it's almost as responsive as a lightweight racing
bike.

The anatomic bars are a bit extreme for my tastes. YMMV.

The rack tubing is so large that the connectors on the side block a
Randonee pannier from hooking on. Go figure. Ortliebs still work,
though.

I replaced the pedals immediately; if you like toe straps, you won't
have to.

BAD: I'm heavy enough that I compress the seat cushioning, and the
plastic shell underneath is like a wedgie/ass hatchet waiting to
happen.

Brown?? It may have an accident with a spray paint can in the near
future.

>I'm used to V brakes, and don't quite like the cantilever brakes on it
>-- is there a big difference in stopping power? Also I'm not sure if I
>can mount fenders.

Brifters pretty much require cantis or travel agents. The cantis also
work well with fenders. I'm not strong enough to pull the brake
levers into the bars, but I can lock the wheels anyways. What more
can you ask for?

FWIW, I replaced the pedals immediately and the saddle when the new
B-17 arrived. The front derailer low adjusting screw needed tweaking,
but that's all the changes I've made in 300+ miles. I've had it up to
40 mph without shimmy, although it felt squirrely in a cross-wind.
Routine commutes with 5-10 pounds in the panniers were no problem.
Interestingly enough, it _felt_ faster climbing hills during these
commutes than the older bike, but the average speed was the same or
lower.

Things I'd like that I didn't get on this bike:
Campy shifters
S&S couplers
pump peg
and that's about it. It's darn close to a bicycle, instead of a
bicycle kit!

Bottom line: this Randonee is well made, nicely spec'ed, and a good
value for the money.

Pat
Email address works as is.

"Bot" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Hi there,
>
> I plan to buy a '06 REI Randonee for commuting. The Randonee has
> been around for a long time, but the '06 is spec'ed much differently
> (better and more expensive). I'm just wondering what people who
> bought it have to say.
>
> I'm used to V brakes, and don't quite like the cantilever brakes on it
> -- is there a big difference in stopping power? Also I'm not sure if I
> can mount fenders.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ed

I have a '04 Randonee.
The '06 seems to be similarly equipped except some minor components
(like the brake adjustment barrels) and they have added a rack. I like
mine just fine, I commute on it 20 (short ride) to 28 (scenic tour)
miles nearly every day. I have logged 5500 miles one it and have had no
major problems.

I did change the saddle out for a Brooks B17 saddle, added fenders and a
Jandd expedition rack to carry my panniers loaded with the laptop,
change of clothes and other needs since racks were not included until
this year.

The one thing I do not like about the '06 Randonee is the UPS brown and
yellow/gold color scheme.

As for the cantilever brakes, I can come to a complete stop from 30+
miles per hour in 30 feet or less. This is a touring bike it is
designed to carry extra weight and stop quickly while heavily loaded.

REI has lots of sales so keep your eyes open.
I bought my '04 in Jan '05 and saved $300 just because it was last
year's model with blue paint instead of the new model with root beer
brown paint.

Rich

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't know about the cantilever brakes/integrated shifer
levers compatibility issue. I don't think I saw a rack on the
Web site -- it's nice to know it carries a rack and accomodates
fenders.

The other bike I considered was the Fuji Touring, which
comes close to a discounted Randonee. But it's equipped
with many no-name components. The Randonee is much
better.

Thanks.

Ed

Patrick Lamb wrote:

> Bottom line: this Randonee is well made, nicely spec'ed, and a good
> value for the money.

I should have also noted that the frame can take bigger tires (I'm
guessing at least to 700x40).

Pat

Bot wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> I didn't know about the cantilever brakes/integrated shifer
> levers compatibility issue. I don't think I saw a rack on the
> Web site -- it's nice to know it carries a rack and accomodates
> fenders.
>
> The other bike I considered was the Fuji Touring, which
> comes close to a discounted Randonee. But it's equipped
> with many no-name components. The Randonee is much
> better.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ed

REI often has 20% off coupons on a single item. They just had one that
ended in April.

See:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=178871&highlight=randonee

I bought one last month during their 20% discount period. The ride is
very stable and its steel frame nicely takes up a lot of shocks. The
brake is very powerful, so are the saddle and the handle bar. The
adjustable stem is also very nice. The solid rack is a pleasant bonus.
IMHO, the upgrades justify the $50 increment from the last year's
price.

Cannot really think of anything negative about it. Go get it and if
you don't like it, you can always take it back to REI for an exchange
or refund.

PS: I heard from others that Randonee's frame appears to be one size
up. I normally ride on a 52-cm frame. I tried both 52-cm and 47-cm
and ended up with the latter. Unlike its 52-cm, 55-cm, and 59-cm
counterparts, the 47-cm's geometry features a "mild" compact frame
similar to Volpe. This can be a concern if you want to mount a U-lock
inside the frame.