Performance hybrid with cruiser styling?

LavenderPeony

Jul 22, 2012
Hi there!

My first post on the forum! I'll be completely honest - my head is spinning after several days of researching online, trying to figure out the best bike to buy for myself... so this post is kind of my "lazy a$$" way to get my research done quicker! Sorry! I just cannot Google anymore! I've also visited one great local bike store where I got some help to point me in a general direction. But, I still have lots of questions that I didn't want to take up the bike guy's time with.

I haven't had a bike since I was an adolescent and haven't ridden one for close to a decade. I've now got two kids - one who is old enough to ride her own run bike and another who's just starting to sit up on his own. I'd like to get myself a new bike to 1) Ride recreationally with my family. My husband and I will have to carry our younger one in a child seat on one of our bikes and, on the other bike, tow our older one whenever she tires (using something like a "Tail-gator" kind of device) 2) Commute to work in nice weather. I think it's also important to mention that I'm puny (5'1") and weak!

The bike guy highly recommended that a performance hybrid type bike would suit my needs best. I totally agree. But, before I got into this bike shopping process, I totally had my heart set on getting a charming-looking bike with a "Sunday Drive" kind of feel - I LOVE the whole cruiser look! The bike guy told me that unfortunately, it's hard to find that kind of style in a performance hybrid.

His next suggestion was to get a comfort bike. I do love the look of the comfort bikes - the leather saddle and handle grips, the front basket, the curvy step-through design, the chainguard, the "pretty" colours... but, the bike guy warned me that comfort bikes will be more difficult for me to get up hills due to the seating position, the fewer number of gears, the heavier frame, and the inferior components (as compared to the performance hybrid components).

So, I'm desperately hoping that perhaps there is a lightweight performance hybrid with cruiser styling out there! Is there such a thing?? Or, will I be able to handle a comfort bike just fine? Another local shop I called suggested that I would do A-OK on one of the comfort bikes they sell (the Linus Dutchie). I also love the look of the Bobbin bicycles that shop stocks.

I haven't had time to test-ride any bikes yet and the one shop I went to didn't have a comfort bike in my size to try (they were all far too large for me).

Any suggestions? Please tell me I can find a bike with the functionality that I need and looks that I want!

FWIW. At one level, the guy at the bike shop is correct that a pure (Beach) Cruiser will present problems roadways which are not flat, or nearly so ...

There ARE Cruisers with gears ...

If you have sufficient budget, then YOU can add the full complement of gears (entry level OR upscale) which you would find on a MTB to almost ANY frame as a DIY project (see below) -- even a 60s vintage Schwinn, Huffy, Columbia, JC Higgins, Hawthorn, etc.

A Bianchi MILANO is available with multiple gears, AFAIK. I don't think it is available with a step through frame, but it may be.

I think that ELECTRA makes bikes with step through frames ...

I can't remember if the Trek GLOBE is available with a step through frame ...

Regardless, it is worth investigating MUCH FURTHER afield for bikes other than the selection which your bike shop has.

BTW. I believe that "child seats" which mount behind the rider are generally considered to be both unsafe and not necessarily good for the child UNLESS you are very careful when mounting & dismounting from the bike (more because you will be leaning the bike than anything) ...

IF you are determined to use a child seat on whatever bike you buy, then you will probably want a two-footed kickstand which keep the bike vertical when engaged rather than leaning.

BTW2. Here is a bike which I am assembling (a shockingly slow motion process) with a full complement of gears whose frame shares the same appearance as the fore mentioned Bianchi Milano. The particular assembly has an old suspension fork because it was convenient, but someday I may install a Rigid fork. The Drop bars may someday give way to either Flat or Cruiser bars ...

NYCBikes_Camelsback_30x11.gif

NYCBikes_Camelsback_30x11.gif
350x223px-LL-287d49c4_NYCBikes_Camelsback_30x11.gif

As pictured, the top of the saddle is 28.25" above the center of the bike's BB spindle ... so, it could certainly be adjusted for a much shorter rider. The frame's TOP TUBE is ~54cm long.

Globe range was made by Specialized, in two styles, Vienna and Carmel. Vienna was like a more pedestrian Sirrus. Carmel had laid-back seating like the Electra Townie does. Pure is the Trek bike that emulates the Townie. All of these bikes are pretty cool for git-around-town riding and jaunts in the countryside if you're not in a hurry.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

Globe range was made by Specialized, in two styles, Vienna and Carmel. Vienna was like a more pedestrian Sirrus. Carmel had laid-back seating like the Electra Townie does. Pure is the Trek bike that emulates the Townie. All of these bikes are pretty cool for git-around-town riding and jaunts in the countryside if you're not in a hurry.
Ah, SPECIALIZED ... of course ... thanks for the correction.

Thanks alfeng and oldbobcat. I'm so delighted that I CAN find a bike with the style and performance I want and need! I've been eagerly looking up the bike brands and models that you mentioned and I like what I see so far. There are some Schwinns that will fit the bill too. At this time, I'm not comfortable doing any DIY jobs to add on gears but good to know that's an option!

So, you're saying that despite my petite and wussy build, I'll still be able to manage a comfort bike up hills just fine? How many gears do I need to get up hills comfortably? Lots of great-looking comfort bikes come with anywhere from 3-8 gears but is that enough to help me get up steep hills while carrying a child or my work gear?

Also, will the more upright position of comfort bikes make it a lot more difficult to get up hills? And, how much does the bike's overall weight affect my ride (i.e. is there a maximum weight that I should not go over)? I'm very concerned about getting up hills because there are several long, steep hills along my routes to and from work.

I'd never even considered that rear attached child seats are considered unsafe. I understand that the front-mounted ones can be quite unwieldy and likely to cause injury but I'd assumed that rear-mounted ones would be relatively safe because I see so many around town. Are bike trailers the preferred mode of transport for children?

I'd love to get something like the Triobike but it's WAAAY out of my budget. I've got a Trail-gator on order for towing the older one when she tire - any thoughts on that device?

Here's a link to the Electra Townie range. http://www.electrabike.com/Bikes/townie-bikes-electra. Electra probably has the most complete line of well-made, comfortable bikes for people who aren't in a hurry. And they're fashionable, too!

Regarding the Trail-gator, this gizmo scares me because it raises the front wheel of the kid's bike off the ground and moves the balance point to the seat post of the adult's bike, and the stabilization bar that's supposed to secure the handlebar on the kid's bike isn't all that stable. Also, the coupling to the kid's bike is highly stressed and can damage the bike.

Far better to get something designed to be towed behind an adult bike, like the Adams Trail-a-bike. http://www.trail-a-bike.com/. These are well designed, rugged, safe, and, unlike the Trail-gator, sold and serviced at reputable bike shops. Trek also makes a kid's trailer bike, called the Mountain Train. Check them out.

Originally Posted by LavenderPeony .

So, you're saying that despite my petite and wussy build, I'll still be able to manage a comfort bike up hills just fine? How many gears do I need to get up hills comfortably? Lots of great-looking comfort bikes come with anywhere from 3-8 gears but is that enough to help me get up steep hills while carrying a child or my work gear?

Also, will the more upright position of comfort bikes make it a lot more difficult to get up hills? And, how much does the bike's overall weight affect my ride (i.e. is there a maximum weight that I should not go over)? I'm very concerned about getting up hills because there are several long, steep hills along my routes to and from work.
STEEP hills might be difficult regardless of the bike ...

3-speed bikes have a limited RANGE between the easiest & hardest gearing ... about a 30% difference up-and-down from the middle gear ... so, it is possible that for hills which are extraordinarily steep that the gearing may not be adequate UNLESS a compromise is made with the other two gears. The cog on the 3-speed hub can be changed ... I think that the normal range of available cogs for 3-speed hubs is between 16t & 22t.

• I put a 23t cog on a 3-speed hub which I have ...
  • that equates to approximately a 29t when in the lowest gear ... a decidedly wussy "gear" when paired with a 39t chainring ...
  • the compromise is that the high gear only has about a 17t cog ... when paired with a 39t chainring, that is a fairly modest (but, acceptable) high gear

7-/8-/9-/10-speed bikes are not always sold with gearing which is adequate for steep hills for normal people because the bikes are often oriented to wannabee racers ... the gearing can be changed -- hopefully, before you leave the bike shop!

Very few people have their hands on the Drops when riding up steep hills ... so, Cruiser handlebars and an upright riding position should not be considered to be a possible negative factor when riding up hills ...