Pezcyclingnews: Eat To Compete: Risotto Milanese-san Remo

articlebot

Jan 3, 2005
Though Milan may be known primarily for its fashion, its cathedral and the great Milan-San Remo bike race, it is only slightly less well known for its creamy, golden, saffron-infused risotto. Though I typically do not like to repeat dishes and/or styles of dishes (barley risotto), this dish is just too classically Milanese to overlook in conjunction with Milan-San Remo. Recipe and Photos by Casey WeaverThough it is traditionally served alongside Osso Bucco, in staying true to our competitor-friendly meals, we are going to serve it along side a simple, light and fresh salad of peppery greens and fresh herbs– a true celebration of La Primavera. IngredientsRisotto2 cups Arborio rice cup dry white wine3 cups warm chicken stock (maybe more)1 medium yellow onion, diced2 cloves garlic, minced1 (generous) t saffron cup grated permesan-reggiano cheese2 t olive oilsalt and pepperSaffron or zafferano in Italian is the worlds most expensive spice, and one of the best tasting.Salad3 cups mesclun salad mix3 cups arugula5 strawberries, topped and sliced thin lengthwiseoptional: cup coarsely chopped pecans1/3 cup crumbled feta cheeseDressing3 T extra virgin olive oil2 t lemon juice1 t white wine vinegar t sugar1/8 t saltblack pepper to tasteFor the SaladMesclun literally means to mix, and a mesclun salad mix can include a number of different ingredients. What they have in common is that they are usually Spring greens and are harvested at an early stage. I like to go to the farmers market and look for the craziest mix I can find, and tend...

View the full article