Plant protein vs meat protein for cycling

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Eltell, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Eltell

Eltell New Member

So it seems the debate goes on...I have seen a lot lately to convince me their is something in going veggie - i mean there are dozens of top athletes out there who are veggies who look great and at the top of their game...look at Mo Farah!
    Can any veggies out there convince me it is the right thing to do or are their any meatarians who have tried it but gone back!
    Anyway, some good reading here...Ride Strong With Plant Protein

Lucy.P likes this.

2. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Unfortunately everyone is different, and not everyone will benefit from a vegge diet. I tried a vegge diet with the guidance of a licensed dietitian and licensed nutritionist who knew I was a cyclist. The first month she had to up my protein from the normal because I didn't have any energy to ride the bike, after 3 months my energy levels were still poor so she made some other changes, nothing, more changes and more of nothing, this went on for almost a year when I finally got wise and unplugged from the program. After resuming meat my energy levels bounded back pretty quickly and my cycling levels slowly came back up.

Yes there are some people who can process vegges and do so quite well but there are others where that doesn't work like me. So if changing to a veggie diet makes you want to squeal with delight that you're not killing innocent animals to eat then try it and see if works for you. Animals have been eaten for thousands of years, there is nothing wrong with doing so, it's the reason they were put here, and if we didn't eat them one of their other predators would, and if you are of the belief that we are also animals then we're on all animals predator list, don't forget there are animals that will eat us too.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

Is that plant protein coming from soya? If you are a vegetarian, I guess it is your call to eat protein from vegetables. But for the carnivores like me, I would prefer protein from meat particularly steak. It is one of my favorite protein source although I always have a side dish of vegetables with my steak. And the best protein supplier is boiled beef.

4. reighn

reighn Member

I think much better to eat the protein coming from meat, the body needs that specially if you are active in cycling. Meat protein will give you a lot of energy compare to veggie protein. I think they just chose the veggie protein just to help them to their diet.

5. treecko142

treecko142 Member

The 2 proteins are structurally different and humans can utilize the protein coming from animals more readily to provide energy compared to plant protein, so meat is still recommended. However, if you are vegetarian, you can still obtain protein from vegetables but you have to supplement to obtain all the nutrients needed by the body.

6. Kakashi

Kakashi Active Member

I think it's in the genes of the person, I mean if you're from a long line of meat eaters then your metabolism is more attuned to meat, and the same goes for a vegetarian. Our bodies evolve and adapt to our surroundings and likewise to what we are eating.
    A good example are Shaolin Buddhist Monks, they're generally vegetarians but their energy level is off the charts, because most of them came from families which predominantly eat veggies. I think I came from a long line of carnivores, can't eat without meat.

7. Henrywrites

Henrywrites Member

I like and enjoy meat which is the reason I would say that meaty proteins is the best for me. As long as I am doing the right things to remain on course with that which is going to give me a better result, I won't mind having to take a step towards that.

8. reighn

reighn Member

9. liketowrite

liketowrite New Member

I think that everyone chooses what he likes best!

10. trishala

trishala New Member

About 20% of the human body is made up of Protein. Because our body doesn't store protein, it's important to get enough from your diet each day. Everyone has their own taste and preferences but according to my point of view meat protein is best for for cycling.

Professional Quotation Template

11. cyclintom

cyclintom Well-Known Member

Man is omnivorous. This doesn't mean that one diet of another won't work. But man really isn't physically designed to eat the huge amounts of carbohydrates that he gets in the modern diet. That said, the average age of death keeps going up and up. Cancer which used to be unknown because man didn't like long enough to have it develop is now a major cause of death. My viewpoint is - don't overdo anything and don't worry about your diet.