Please advise: Mavic R Sys Wheelset

curby

May 9, 2006
is the new for 2008 Mavic R Sys wheelset a good choice for 77kg/170lb rider?

want to use them for road races, pavement is generally decent...

I currently race Ksyrium Elites with no issues, they have stayed true through 2 seasons.

also: these seem to sell for US$800-900 2nd hand un-used on ebay, is that because of some deficiency in their design or just the market price?

thanks so much!

all's'miles

curby

Is it a good choice?...I've a mate who has them & reckons they are OK...I'm not won over by the 'plastic' spoke thing, but he hasn't had any issues.

Again, are they a good choice?, if you're looking at pre-builts that come out of the box & will basically be reasonably reliable, these will probably do the job. For the money you could have some built to your spec that might turn out to be better value. Each to their own, the R-sys aren't especially aero, nor especially light but you'll find they will probably do the job you want them for

Check out Easton EA90 range with the R4-SL hubset...

vastly nicer wheelset.

On the same price you could find a Fulcrum R1 or R0... and their hubs (imho, basing myself on my experience) are something totally different from R-sys hubs... moreover Fulcrum wheels are more aero than R-sys.

I agree with the above posters - get something else.
For that money you can get something that is both aero and lighter, so two +s against the R-SYS:eek: .

Save the good wheels you get for races etc and have some lesser wheels for training etc - you won't regret that decision:)

curby said:

I currently race Ksyrium Elites with no issues, they have stayed true through 2 seasons.

also: these seem to sell for US$800-900 2nd hand un-used on ebay, is that because of some deficiency in their design or just the market price?

thanks so much!

all's'miles

curby

First of all, Mavic issued a small 'r' recall, replacing a small ring in the inside of the hub shell that was moving against the spoke ends.

Secondly, these wheels at 1400 grams and fragile to say the least, are a poor choice, IMO. For that $900 a good wheelbuilder could design and build you a better set of wheels that would be w/i 100 grams of these but without the whizbangery of carbon spokes and with far superior rear hub.

Last set of wheels in this price range that I would own. Not aero, not as lite as advertised, not strong, how much would spokes cost? Rear hub design is not the best.

They look flash and get a lot of OEM spec as they look cool to customers who don't know better.

Go for hand builts. Much more fun picking the hubs, the colour of the hubs, number and type of spokes to suit YOU, and the rim to suit YOU. Then maintaining the wheels will be far far cheaper as well.

Phill P said:
Last set of wheels in this price range that I would own. Not aero, not as lite as advertised, not strong, how much would spokes cost? Rear hub design is not the best.

They look flash and get a lot of OEM spec as they look cool to customers who don't know better.

Go for hand builts. Much more fun picking the hubs, the colour of the hubs, number and type of spokes to suit YOU, and the rim to suit YOU. Then maintaining the wheels will be far far cheaper as well.

Spokes are $10 per(carbon/plastic ones) IF you can find them. We had a customer break 2 JRA. Outside rep had the new hub ring and a coupla spokes but they are tough to find. All flash, no performance. If ya GOTTA have a wheelouttaabox, at least get one based on a good hub, like Campagnolo, Fulcrum, shimano or ones with a DT hub.

In the $900 +/- range I just paid a little over that for a set of handbuilt wheels with a powertap SL hub. If I had went with a regular (non-power meter) hub it would have been much less.

Johnson Wheelworks used Niobium 30mm rims, Sapim spokes, Power Tap rear hub, and White Industries front hub. Service can be done by most any decent bike shop or by the experienced individual.

It takes a few extra weeks to wait for the build and shipping opposed to walking in the LBS and getting a set of wheels, but to me it is worth the wait.

I have a set of DT Swiss wheels built by Joe Young a couple of years ago that were much less expensive than most brand name wheels. The wheels have been true for a couple of years and very dependable.

Thanks, thanks & thanks again, all!

I liked my Ksyriums out of the box and naturally looked at Mavic again. Maybe I should build me a set of wheels tho, just like the old days.

Last time I did that it was GL330s and Campy Record hubs! Those wheels are still around and I still use them on our annual 25km 7% hllclimb!

all's'miles

curby

Felt_Rider said:
In the $900 +/- range I just paid a little over that for a set of handbuilt wheels with a powertap SL hub. If I had went with a regular (non-power meter) hub it would have been much less.

Johnson Wheelworks used Niobium 30mm rims, Sapim spokes, Power Tap rear hub, and White Industries front hub. Service can be done by most any decent bike shop or by the experienced individual.

It takes a few extra weeks to wait for the build and shipping opposed to walking in the LBS and getting a set of wheels, but to me it is worth the wait.

I have a set of DT Swiss wheels built by Joe Young a couple of years ago that were much less expensive than most brand name wheels. The wheels have been true for a couple of years and very dependable.

That's good to know. I ignorant to costs of nice wheels and always assumed a wheel with power tap to be two or three times that based on my lbs.

curby said:
thanks so much!
all's'miles
curby

I bought a pair of used (once) R-Sys because the asking price was really good (US$650). I figured I had no risk and could resell them at least at the same price if I didn't like them. Turns out I love them.
I ride a decent frame (2003 Time VX Special Pro) that I first built with Ksyrium Elite and later updated to 2003 Ksyrium SL. Between the two I tried some Campagnolo Zonda and Eurus for a brief period. I was very happy with my SLs, although bought used as well they have been very reliable and were an improvement compared to the Elites.
The first ride on the R-Sys is shocking, really. Right off the bat these wheels accelerate much better than anything I had ridden before. Get off the saddle and the bike responds instantly, so amazing that I am more off the saddle than ever before when climbing. This is due to the stiffness of the wheels. Yet they are comfortable and strong.
I had an annoying noise coming from the front wheel as many have observed. I checked the spokes, I checked the magnet, the noise was still there. One day I was putting air in the tires and found out the reason of the noise; my Michelin metallic tube stems were hitting the stem hole rim section and causing the noise. I put some tape around the stems and the noise was gone, Mavic probably needs to reduce the hole diameter a tiny bit.
I hit many potholes and, so far, the wheels are been flawless, no broken spoke, no truing needed, they just keep going.
Aside from the stiffness benefits in climbing and accelerating I find the wheels very good in cornering and descending. Not that the Ksyriums were bad but the R-Sys seem to corner better.
Honestly I wouldn't remove the R-Sys from your wish list before trying them. Don't be scared by people who have never ridden them or point to catastrophic failure. Many of these wheels are out, some racers use them in cross-country, the reported failures were all due to major contacts with other objects or crashes (before wheel break) and would have destroyed any other wheels. All professional reviews I have read are really good. Only complaints are usually regarding their aerodynamics and all concur that this issue only regards time trialists as aero positioning has a lot more impact on speed than the wheels properties and that the impacts are only measurable over 25 mph.

All R-SYS failures happened for the reasons you cited? So, you tallied all the failures? How many did you come up with?

When it comes to acceleration, the mind is a powerful thing. In a bicycle wheel, moment of inertia is more influential in acceleration than any windup or other phenomena that might result from a wheel's lack of stiffness. It's been proven over and over and over again, that even relatively large MOI differences don't make any significant changes in acceleration.

alienator said:
All R-SYS failures happened for the reasons you cited? So, you tallied all the failures? How many did you come up with?
When it comes to acceleration, the mind is a powerful thing. In a bicycle wheel, moment of inertia is more influential in acceleration than any windup or other phenomena that might result from a wheel's lack of stiffness. It's been proven over and over and over again, that even relatively large MOI differences don't make any significant changes in acceleration.

I saw about 3 images of failures in races published many times on the web, the actual comments about what happened is not always listed but all involved hitting something (racer or object as the cause of the crash). There's also a racer who posts in bikeforums.net (from Southern California) and uses the R-Sys. He has broken spokes several times, in all instances he explained what happened and said the wheels were not at fault.

Mind is surely powerful but I am not the only one saying what I posted about the R-Sys. Instead of trying to use some theory to hide the fact that you haven't given these wheels even a test ride, you should try to be helpful to this forum with comments that have real value.

My own observations of these wheels is that they really help my climbing. Their acceleration is due to momentum, you are right on this point, but momentum can come from different factors. The R-Sys are lighter than my previous wheels so starting at the same speed they have less momentum. However due to their stiffness the forces I apply on the pedals are quicker and better transferred as wheel rotation resulting in higher momentum.

I wish I had them in July when I rode the California Death Ride, they would have helped a great deal on some of the steeper section. I do not know if you are familiar with Mt. Diablo in Northern California but the climb ends with a 200 yard, 18 to 20% ramp after a 10.5 mile ride and a 3,400 feet rise. This ramp has never felt so easy and I have made the climb several times on the R-Sys so my mind should have overcome the honeymoon period by now.

gpelpel said:
I saw about 3 images of failures in races published many times on the web, the actual comments about what happened is not always listed but all involved hitting something (racer or object as the cause of the crash). There's also a racer who posts in bikeforums.net (from Southern California) and uses the R-Sys. He has broken spokes several times, in all instances he explained what happened and said the wheels were not at fault.

Ok, so that covers three wheels and one racer. What about all of the others? Visit Weight Weenies for opinions on R-SYS wheels that differ from yours. They also cite instances of wheel failure.

gpelpel said:
Mind is surely powerful but I am not the only one saying what I posted about the R-Sys. Instead of trying to use some theory to hide the fact that you haven't given these wheels even a test ride, you should try to be helpful to this forum with comments that have real value.

Wow. So others state that, too, eh? Does that make it a fact? No. It doesn't. As an example, I'll cite the hundred or so times that I've read on forums about some guy buying aero wheels, and on his first with 'em, how he went 5 mph faster or summat. People read that all of the time. The fact is that the best of the best aero wheels add only 0.4 or so mph at 25 mph. Hmmm.

Using theory to hide that I haven't ridden the wheels? MMmm, no. That's a stupid assumption and clearly shows that you don't know how the physical laws govern wheel dynamics and what the various models used say. I actually didn't use any theory. I didn't need to. I used the laws that are the foundation of Newtonian mechanics, the same laws that have been vetted over 400+ years of experimentation. There is zero in those laws that shows that R-SYS wheels would make any perceptible change in performance at all.

As for me helping or not helping, I am helping. Too often people post their reports on how a product functions as if those reports were all fact. The only fact is that the human body is a lousy sensor when it comes to accuracy and precision. What "signal" a rider gets is dependent on fatigue, wellness, mood, hydration, bias toward the product, and on and on and on. That is why scientists came up with that crazy thing called "Scientific Method." See, scientific method is designed to remove human bias from the measurement process.

Example: I have read some rider reports saying that the R-SYS wheels felt slow or sluggish; yet, you say they accelerate like the dickens. So, who's right, eh?

gpelpel said:
My own observations of these wheels is that they really help my climbing. Their acceleration is due to momentum, you are right on this point, but momentum can come from different factors. The R-Sys are lighter than my previous wheels so starting at the same speed they have less momentum. However due to their stiffness the forces I apply on the pedals are quicker and better transferred as wheel rotation resulting in higher momentum.

If you think the wheels aid your climbing, that's good for you. I've always said people should ride what motivates them or puts pep in their step. However, that doesn't make what those people or you feel fact. It's you opinion, your response to what you felt. That's all.

As for your ideas of momentum......no. It actually takes a force to change momentum, so it takes an acceleration of some sort to change momentum. You cannot say with any accuracy at all whether at some given speed your R-SYS have less or more total momentum, unless you also know the moment of inertia for each of the wheels in question. As for you forces applied at the pedal and any "quicker" forces and "higher" momentum......no. You don't have nearly enough information to say that. It sure seems, though, that you don't have a full understanding of the constitutive equations that would govern the bike/rider system.

gpelpel said:
I wish I had them in July when I rode the California Death Ride, they would have helped a great deal on some of the steeper section. I do not know if you are familiar with Mt. Diablo in Northern California but the climb ends with a 200 yard, 18 to 20% ramp after a 10.5 mile ride and a 3,400 feet rise. This ramp has never felt so easy and I have made the climb several times on the R-Sys so my mind should have overcome the honeymoon period by now.

Nope. Not at all. Where, in the course of all that time, would your mind have necessarily had an objective epiphany? All that's happened is your opinion hasn't changed. There are climbs around my area that range from 12-24% over anything from a quarter of a mile to longer. I've used wheels with significantly different masses and MOI (weights: 830ish g vs. 1380g), and do you want to know what the difference was between the wheels? Nothing significant at all.

You sure like empty talks. Well if these wheels are so bad and with the volume of them out there (some bikes come standard with them), please explain us why Mavic is still in business and not scrambling under a ton of lawsuits.

I am amazed how people who have not used a product can be so affable at denigrating it.

So if one person said they feel sluggish (I have read the post, he even said it felt he was applying brakes to the rims) it may be true but why nobody else said it. I have many time felt my brakes where rubbing my rims either because it was a bad day for me, or because of high altitude, or for any other reason, and yet I was using the same wheels as the day before when all was fine.
Did I say they were fast? I don't remember it. I said the R-Sys allow me quicker acceleration but they do not offer better speed overall. I have however raised my PB on several of my rides but the reason may due be any other thing than the wheels. What transpires is that I do need less effort to start a sprint or attack a climb that when I was using other wheels. I surely feel the difference when out of the saddle and when mushing up a climb seated. I definitely can use tougher gears while climbing.
That's only one rider's observations. Others might have different opinions and that's great as long as they have used the product we are talking about. That is how forums like this can be helpful. Posters who talk without actual knowledge of the product are irrelevant. I have read the WeightWeenies forum comments about these wheels, they are no different from other forums; a few useful comments from knowledgeable people and a lot a empty garbage from "I know everything" egos. If you count actual posters and not actual posts, the positive are much higher than the negatives.

So please, Sir, aside from big theories, what is your own user report about these wheel? How many miles do you have on them? What type of riding do you do? Are you a teenage stud or a senior warrior?

gpelpel said:
You sure like empty talks. Well if these wheels are so bad and with the volume of them out there (some bikes come standard with them), please explain us why Mavic is still in business and not scrambling under a ton of lawsuits.

I am amazed how people who have not used a product can be so affable at denigrating it.

So if one person said they feel sluggish (I have read the post, he even said it felt he was applying brakes to the rims) it may be true but why nobody else said it. I have many time felt my brakes where rubbing my rims either because it was a bad day for me, or because of high altitude, or for any other reason, and yet I was using the same wheels as the day before when all was fine.
Did I say they were fast? I don't remember it. I said the R-Sys allow me quicker acceleration but they do not offer better speed overall. I have however raised my PB on several of my rides but the reason may due be any other thing than the wheels. What transpires is that I do need less effort to start a sprint or attack a climb that when I was using other wheels. I surely feel the difference when out of the saddle and when mushing up a climb seated. I definitely can use tougher gears while climbing.
That's only one rider's observations. Others might have different opinions and that's great as long as they have used the product we are talking about. That is how forums like this can be helpful. Posters who talk without actual knowledge of the product are irrelevant. I have read the WeightWeenies forum comments about these wheels, they are no different from other forums; a few useful comments from knowledgeable people and a lot a empty garbage from "I know everything" egos. If you count actual posters and not actual posts, the positive are much higher than the negatives.

So please, Sir, aside from big theories, what is your own user report about these wheel? How many miles do you have on them? What type of riding do you do? Are you a teenage stud or a senior warrior?

Look, I don't have to give a ride report of the wheels to shoot down what you put forth as absolutes, facts, or givens about R-SYS wheels.

You sure do misinterpret a lot.

As for riders saying they were sluggish....was there only one rider that said that? Wow. I didn't know that.

If you read--this time paying attention--you'll see that I said and always have that people should ride what trips their trigger. That has nothing to do with actual physical properties or functional dependence on a wheel's physical properties. It's a function of what a person feels and how they interpret that.

As for Mavic being in business and still selling R-SYS wheels, so? The buying public is known for buying all manner of things based on marketing and not fact. That's no surprise. So? That the public keeps buying R-SYS wheelsets that offer no factual substantive performance benefit is no surprise. Why would Mavic suffer so many lawsuits? You're making so many bad intuitive leaps that it's possible for anyone to follow.

Did I say that you said the Mavic wheels were fast? No, I did say, though, that any acceleration difference between wheelsets is not great at all and is likely insignificant.

Again, I have presented no theories. Where did you come up with this theory BS? Are an Intelligent Design believer? You must be because you have no clue what a theory is.

gpelpel said:

I know you aren't talking to me but these are a $1400 answer to a $700 question. For half the price any decent wheelbuilder could design and build a wheelset that would be more reliable, use standard parts, be supported for longer parts wise and be w/i 100 grams of their weight. These wheels, like all Mavic wheels, has one of the cheapest, poorest design rear hubs in the industry. PLUS unnecessary things, like expensive carbon and aluminum spokes. Just what do these do when compared to stainless steel spokes?
I just saw a test of a brakeset for $1200..what is going on?

Mavic is successful in selling these to bike makers, making them come as standard on lots of bikes, which means they are making money, but as an aftermarket wheelset, it leaves a lot to be desired. Just my HO, mind you but if ya gotta have a wheelouttaabox, there are better choices.

Do the wheels work? YES
Are they as good as thier price tag/marketing suggests? NO
Are there better alternatives? Yes, even at much lower price points.

They get a lot of OEM spec as they look cool, have the mavic name on them, and people who don't know better believe that since they are expensive they are the next best thing out there. NOBODY will copy this design.

I would expect these wheels to get discontinued in a few years time once people have put enough time on them and decided they aren't worth replacing with the latest model, and OEM spec will move onto something else eventually.

Thanks to all who posted, lets change gears and talk custom build:

I want a very solid race set of wheels.

I can get a real good deal on older American Classic hubs. the flanges are drilled for bladed spokes, 24ct. rear and 20ct. front

I weigh about 75 kg. or 165 lb.

will there be enough spokes here for me?

what rim is a good choice? I think a moderately deep carbon would be cool but are they just as strong and lighter than aluminum hoops? I only want to go to the trouble if the difference is significant.

I have always used rims with eyelets... my current race wheels are Mavic Ksyrium Elite which have never gone even a little out of true, even after a couple of spills!

thanks again

all's'miles

curby