No numbness boy saddle - advise, please

BigBenBiker

Guest
Hi All,

I've been cycling for a few years, I know all the adjustments you can
make to a saddle, had some good times with a Specialized BG bottom of
the line, which at a certain point became too wide, as I tried to move
to more areo position, and was rubbing on the sides of the saddle.

I could either go back to a more upright position, or lower my
seatpost - the latter, however, meant a loss of power I did not like
at all :-(

So, I presently have a narrow cheap saddle, which allows me to exert
most power, but now I can't stay in an aero position for long, before
I start to go numb :-(

I'm now looking at alternatives, and while I'd prefer to spend less,
saddles that have caught my attention are:

1) Selle Italia SLK.
I've read the best, and the worst, numbness wyse, about this one. I'd
expect this to be numbness proof, and more so once you started
pedaling and spreading the sides apart which each pedal stroke. Yet,
look what comments I found, from what I've always regarded as a
reputable source: http://tinyurl.com/33mqtl

2) Specialized Avatar / Alias.
Is there anything that makes of these 2 more numbness proof than the
other??
What's the "V-grove" mentioned in the marketing description of the
Alias?

The Selle San Marco Aspide has also caught my eye, but first I read it
had the back end to high, and then that the Aspid has around 20
diferent versions... which for me means I've got as much change of
getting THE one I like, as of winning the lottery :p Clever from San
Marco!

Anyway, let the accounts about the reliefs of "down under" begin...
*please*!

PS - I'm open to suggestions other than those models Ilisted above.
PS2 - I know some stores in the US have (very) good and cheap saddles
- I live in Portugal, though.

Ride your 2 wheels, but in order to ride them yet another day!
bbb

On Feb 21, 1:27 pm, [email protected] (BigBenBiker) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been cycling for a few years, I know all the adjustments you can
> make to a saddle, had some good times with a Specialized BG bottom of
> the line, which at a certain point became too wide, as I tried to move
> to more areo position, and was rubbing on the sides of the saddle.
>
> I could either go back to a more upright position, or lower my
> seatpost - the latter, however, meant a loss of power I did not like
> at all :-(
>
> So, I presently have a narrow cheap saddle, which allows me to exert
> most power, but now I can't stay in an aero position for long, before
> I start to go numb :-(
>
> I'm now looking at alternatives, and while I'd prefer to spend less,
> saddles that have caught my attention are:
>
> 1) Selle Italia SLK.
> I've read the best, and the worst, numbness wyse, about this one. I'd
> expect this to be numbness proof, and more so once you started
> pedaling and spreading the sides apart which each pedal stroke. Yet,
> look what comments I found, from what I've always regarded as a
> reputable source:http://tinyurl.com/33mqtl
>
> 2) Specialized Avatar / Alias.
> Is there anything that makes of these 2 more numbness proof than the
> other??
> What's the "V-grove" mentioned in the marketing description of the
> Alias?
>
> The Selle San Marco Aspide has also caught my eye, but first I read it
> had the back end to high, and then that the Aspid has around 20
> diferent versions... which for me means I've got as much change of
> getting THE one I like, as of winning the lottery :p Clever from San
> Marco!
>
> Anyway, let the accounts about the reliefs of "down under" begin...
> *please*!
>
> PS - I'm open to suggestions other than those models Ilisted above.
> PS2 - I know some stores in the US have (very) good and cheap saddles
> - I live in Portugal, though.
>
> Ride your 2 wheels, but in order to ride them yet another day!
> bbb

I couldn't ride without Spiderflex, but its $90 from Canada ( good
exchange rate )
and very good quality material saddle.
Now I can ride fearlessly and NEVER feel pain. Good luck.
That was my first requirement to ride bikes again, or I would have
started running and banging my joints rather
than rupturing myself every ride. Its not good for you, lol.

On 21 Feb 2007 11:14:22 -0800, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Feb 21, 12:52 pm, "ddog" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I couldn't ride without Spiderflex

>http://www.spiderflex.com

I believe it's numbness proof!

But I thought that my old 15 or 16 cm wide saddle was too wide - and
the Spiderflex is 25 cm wide :-(

Thanks anyway!
jbr

Ride your 2 wheels, but in order to ride them yet another day!
bbb

Brooks B17- the only saddle that causes no numbness and extreme
comfort

On Feb 21, 2:06 pm, [email protected] (BigBenBiker) wrote:
> On 21 Feb 2007 11:14:22 -0800, "Ozark Bicycle"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >On Feb 21, 12:52 pm, "ddog" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> I couldn't ride without Spiderflex

> >http://www.spiderflex.com
> >
> >:-(

> I believe it's numbness proof!

It might be "ride proof", too.

> But I thought that my old 15 or 16 cm wide saddle was too wide - and
> the Spiderflex is 25 cm wide :-(

IMO, it's suited for 1-3 mile rides. Aimed at the "comfort bike"
market.

> Thanks anyway!
> jbr
>
> Ride your 2 wheels, but in order to ride them yet another day!
> bbb

I like the Terry Liberator (apparently they branched out into men's
saddles ; I got a bunch on closeout though, so maybe they got back
out of the men's biz). About $40 reg price.

I think it's the Liberator. All it says is Terry.

--
Ron Hardin
[email protected]

On Feb 21, 4:17 pm, Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote:
> I like the Terry Liberator (apparently they branched out into men's
> saddles

Quite a few years ago, IIRC.

> I got a bunch on closeout though, so maybe they got back
> out of the men's biz).

They still show men's saddles on their site:

http://tinyurl.com/6csdc

> About $40 reg price.
>
> I think it's the Liberator. All it says is Terry.

Last I knew, Terry saddles were nade by Selle Italia, but that might
have changed..

BigBenBiker wrote:

> I could either go back to a more upright position, or lower my
> seatpost - the latter, however, meant a loss of power I did not like
> at all :-(

Hmm, I think that you already know what to do. How is it that you
determined that you lose power when the saddle is correctly adjusted?
I have a set of circumstances that require very precise saddle
adjustment. When I have the bike (with my longest cranks) on the
indoor trainer, I have to tilt the saddle just a miniscule amount to
keep me from putting too much pressure on an area that will cause
numbing. What this tells me is that I had not yet optimized the
saddle. There is no way that trivial amount is going to cause a loss
of power. I also will state that your perception is influenced by
changes, some times even trivial changes. I would adjust it to the
place with the most comfort and if there is a range in which you are
comfortable, then obviously you will adjust it as close to the setup
as your perception leads you to think you will have more power. You
then need to spend enough time getting accustomed to pedaling in that
position. I am hypersensitive to position changes and even when I have
precise measurements to replicate, changes in saddle or bike always
require a week or 2 for me to feel I am efficient again (or you can
say that I stop feeling similar to what you believe is causing a loss
in power). Perceived exertion can be very misleading, never more so
than when making changes to your position. Unless you have absolute
evidence that you will be giving up power even when allowing for
getting settled in (period of adjustment) then you are really causing
more problems for yourself by not placing it in the zone with the
least stress for your body. I just can't believe that a position that
causes discomfort is going to be better for power development than
adjusting for the least stress.

On Feb 21, 12:27 pm, [email protected] (BigBenBiker) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been cycling for a few years, I know all the adjustments you can
> make to a saddle, had some good times with a Specialized BG bottom of
> the line, which at a certain point became too wide, as I tried to move
> to more areo position, and was rubbing on the sides of the saddle.

[snip]
> Anyway, let the accounts about the reliefs of "down under" begin...
> *please*!

The San Marco Rolls is an affordable classic saddle that fits a good
percentage of rear ends. There's no cutout, but it's firm enough so
you don't sink in and mash your bits. You can get a ti railed version
if you're a weight weenie. It's a very commonly recommended saddle on
here.

My butt likes my Unicanitor clones. Same concept as the Rolls, very
minimal padding, using the shell flex for comfort. Feels a little
stark at first, but gets the job done. Worth a shot if you can find
some NOS.

Firm is usually better, and make sure whatever you get is wide enough
to support your particular ischial tuberosities.

BigBenBiker said:
I've been cycling for a few years, I know all the adjustments you can make to a saddle, had some good times with a Specialized BG bottom of
the line, which at a certain point became too wide, as I tried to move to more areo position, and was rubbing on the sides of the saddle.
Specialized make saddles in multiple widths, so you may be able to get a narrower Body Geometry saddle.

"BigBenBiker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi All,
>
> I've been cycling for a few years, I know all the adjustments you can
> make to a saddle, had some good times with a Specialized BG bottom of
> the line, which at a certain point became too wide, as I tried to move
> to more areo position, and was rubbing on the sides of the saddle.
>
> I could either go back to a more upright position, or lower my
> seatpost - the latter, however, meant a loss of power I did not like
> at all :-(
>
> So, I presently have a narrow cheap saddle, which allows me to exert
> most power, but now I can't stay in an aero position for long, before
> I start to go numb :-(
>
> I'm now looking at alternatives, and while I'd prefer to spend less,
> saddles that have caught my attention are:
>
> 1) Selle Italia SLK.
> I've read the best, and the worst, numbness wyse, about this one. I'd
> expect this to be numbness proof, and more so once you started
> pedaling and spreading the sides apart which each pedal stroke. Yet,
> look what comments I found, from what I've always regarded as a
> reputable source: http://tinyurl.com/33mqtl
>
> 2) Specialized Avatar / Alias.
> Is there anything that makes of these 2 more numbness proof than the
> other??
> What's the "V-grove" mentioned in the marketing description of the
> Alias?
>
> The Selle San Marco Aspide has also caught my eye, but first I read it
> had the back end to high, and then that the Aspid has around 20
> diferent versions... which for me means I've got as much change of
> getting THE one I like, as of winning the lottery :p Clever from San
> Marco!
>
> Anyway, let the accounts about the reliefs of "down under" begin...
> *please*!
>
> PS - I'm open to suggestions other than those models Ilisted above.
> PS2 - I know some stores in the US have (very) good and cheap saddles
> - I live in Portugal, though.

I've been riding Brooks Pro saddles for over 30 years but they're not for
everyone.

I bought a WTB Pure V Race saddle to replace an old Avocet Gel saddle on
one of my MTBs. I liked it so much that I've put them on 3 other bikes.

WTB makes a lot of different model saddles. Most of them feature a channel
down the middle to relieve pressure in that area. Some of them have very
soft nose padding to prevent pressure in the front.

I would avoid a saddle with a lot of gel or padding. They're OK for brief
rides but after a while you sink in and they become uncomfortable.

You have to wade around in WTBs web site to find the information you are
looking for.

http://www.wtb.com/saddles.html

Chas.

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:27:09 +0000, BigBenBiker wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been cycling for a few years, I know all the adjustments you can
> make to a saddle, had some good times with a Specialized BG bottom of
> the line, which at a certain point became too wide, as I tried to move
> to more areo position, and was rubbing on the sides of the saddle.
>
> I could either go back to a more upright position, or lower my
> seatpost - the latter, however, meant a loss of power I did not like
> at all :-(

Upright positions usually produce more power, but are less aerodynamic
(with the same effect as less power).

> So, I presently have a narrow cheap saddle, which allows me to exert
> most power, but now I can't stay in an aero position for long, before I
> start to go numb :-(
>
> I'm now looking at alternatives, and while I'd prefer to spend less,
> saddles that have caught my attention are:
>
> 1) Selle Italia SLK.
> I've read the best, and the worst, numbness wyse, about this one. I'd
> expect this to be numbness proof, and more so once you started pedaling
> and spreading the sides apart which each pedal stroke. Yet, look what
> comments I found, from what I've always regarded as a reputable source:
> http://tinyurl.com/33mqtl
>
> 2) Specialized Avatar / Alias.
> Is there anything that makes of these 2 more numbness proof than the
> other??
> What's the "V-grove" mentioned in the marketing description of the
> Alias?
>
> The Selle San Marco Aspide has also caught my eye, but first I read it
> had the back end to high, and then that the Aspid has around 20 diferent
> versions... which for me means I've got as much change of getting THE
> one I like, as of winning the lottery :p Clever from San Marco!
>
> Anyway, let the accounts about the reliefs of "down under" begin...
> *please*!
>
> PS - I'm open to suggestions other than those models Ilisted above. PS2
> - I know some stores in the US have (very) good and cheap saddles - I
> live in Portugal, though.

Make sure you don't have too much total padding. Saddles have more
padding these days, and shorts have a lot more. Either may be OK by
itself, but added together it can be be too much. I have a Terry Fly
saddle, which is well regarded for comfort, but has more padding than,
say, a Flite. With brand new shorts I get numbness, which disappears when
the shorts have been broken in (compressed) after a couple of rides. I
never have trouble with some old shorts that have just a chamois.

The Terry Fly is not my favorite but it's good enough for me. However
it's very well regarded and comfortable on the nose, so maybe it's worth a
try.

Almost everyone seems to like the Turbomatic 4 -- man, woman, fit, fat,
small, large. Why they discontinued it is beyond me.

WTB saddles may lack roadie style but most people find them very
comfortable too.

The best for me over the years have been various Turbomatics, and the
original Flite, the one with thin padding, thin leather, no embroidery,
and no gel.

You'll always get Brooks fanatics chiming in on these threads. Brooks are
extremely comfortable, but only in one position, and they're really hard
on the nose. If you're a one-position rider they're great, but if you
like to move around on your saddle they're not nearly as good as some
others -- like the Turbomatic or WTB.

Matt O.

[email protected] writes:

> Brooks B17- the only saddle that causes no numbness and extreme
> comfort

Brooks Pro and Swift are all I've used for years, after lots of
pain/suffering/soreness/numbness/saddle sores/you-name-it from
everything under the sun. Pretty much like day and night. All
plastic is impossible for me, and all leather help me survive
comfortably 6 hr rides day after day, when I need to. But I've
surprisingly found that the Fizik line (Gobi/Alliante/Arione in no
particular order of preference) are pretty nice in the plastic/cushion
category, so long as I don't do it more than 2 days consecutively, and
it's less than 2 hours/ride and I go really hard almost the whole way,
thus putting your weight more on straining legs than the ****. And
keep standing up and stretching legs and letting blood flow. Even the
leather leads to numbness when I forget to stand up, like going up
Going to the Sun's perfectly consistant 6% grade for 11 miles w/out a
break..

news:p[email protected]...
> [...]

> it's very well regarded and comfortable on the nose, so maybe it's worth

> try.
>
> Almost everyone seems to like the Turbomatic 4 -- man, woman, fit, fat,
> small, large. Why they discontinued it is beyond me.
>
> WTB saddles may lack roadie style but most people find them very
> comfortable too.
>
> The best for me over the years have been various Turbomatics, and the
> original Flite, the one with thin padding, thin leather, no embroidery,
> and no gel.
>
> You'll always get Brooks fanatics chiming in on these threads. Brooks

are
> extremely comfortable, but only in one position, and they're really hard
> on the nose. If you're a one-position rider they're great, but if you
> like to move around on your saddle they're not nearly as good as some

I've been riding Brooks Pros for over 30 years. I pretty much agree with
you on the one position comment but have you ever heard the phrase "up on
the rivets"?

I ride in an upright position with my hands on the brake lever hoods most
of the time. When I'm climbing or down in the drops I find that I'm
frequently sitting off the back of the saddle "up on the rivets".

I have WTB Pure V Race saddles of several bikes. They're the next best
thing to a Brooks Pro for me.

Everyone's butt is different so saddles are a matter of personal choice.
I've been switching back to old Campy dual bolt NR and SR seatposts
because it's so easy to fine adjust the seat angle.

When I haven't ridden for a while, I lower the seat an 1/8" to 1/4" and
move it forward. As I get back in shape I move the opposite way. A change
in the seat angle of a few degrees makes a big difference in back, neck
and hand comfort. The old Campy seatpost make those adjustments easy.

Chas.

On Feb 21, 4:44 pm, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> IMO, it's suited for 1-3 mile rides. Aimed at the "comfort bike"

Not at all. Its like the seating is not a factor in any amount of
miles you ride.
I had tried a dozen within a couple of months before and was not going
to ride until found an acceptable one.
The rest went from bad to worse. All crotched seats are bad for
reproductive health, good for ruptures, and the rest
of crotchless seats are cheap Chinese designed gadget items. I found
only one other acceptable design
except the materials were very cheap, the wrong type materials, and
very expensive when materials broke frequently.

Of course, I'm sure there are better shades of grey seats out there,
but there are only so many designs available,
so you are not going to get miraculous results from slight inflection
point differences in curvatures of seats.
Everyones seating bones are different as well, so results of these
slight differences are magnefied recounts.
The seating market is terrible and it takes an innovative simplistic
design to be different.
I really don't care since I'm happy and I don't get commisions, but if
you are rupturing yourself every ride,
you should quit riding since that's not a very healthy routine, lol.

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:17:25 GMT, Ron Hardin <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I like the Terry Liberator (apparently they branched out into men's
>saddles ; I got a bunch on closeout though, so maybe they got back
>out of the men's biz). About $40 reg price.

Been watching that too. The Fly, and the Fly Y seam appealing.

Thanks,
jbr

Ride your 2 wheels, but in order to ride them yet another day!
bbb

On 21 Feb 2007 14:29:42 -0800, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Last I knew, Terry saddles were nade by Selle Italia, but that might
>have changed..

As long as they're done according to right desgn and specs, they could
be done by the ping-pong racket vendor Fizik, and I'still buy them!

Thanks,
jbr

Ride your 2 wheels, but in order to ride them yet another day!
bbb

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:15:36 -0500, Matt O'Toole
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Upright positions usually produce more power, but are less aerodynamic
>(with the same effect as less power).

Well, I raised my seatpost to get more pedal power, and that I know
for sure, and in roads I know well, I could then climb in a heavier
gear.
However, that also meant that I no longer could lean forward as much
as before with felling numb, which resulted in reduced speed in flat
roads :-(

For the moment I'm inclined to the Terry Fly, or the Terry Fly Y.

>say, a Flite. With brand new shorts I get numbness, which disappears when
>the shorts have been broken in (compressed) after a couple of rides. I
>never have trouble with some old shorts that have just a chamois.

I hate padded short! They only make the numbnes issue worse, for me.

>WTB saddles may lack roadie style but most people find them very
>comfortable too.

Riding areo??

>You'll always get Brooks fanatics chiming in on these threads. Brooks are
>extremely comfortable, but only in one position, and they're really hard
>on the nose. If you're a one-position rider they're great, but if you
>like to move around on your saddle they're not nearly as good as some
>others -- like the Turbomatic or WTB.

When I have a town (only) bike, I'll get a sprung Brooks, and always
ride upright. But that's not what I'm looking for now...

Thanks!
jbr

On Feb 21, 11:27 am, [email protected] (BigBenBiker) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been cycling for a few years, I know all the adjustments you can
> make to a saddle, had some good times with a Specialized BG bottom of
> the line, which at a certain point became too wide, as I tried to move
> to more areo position, and was rubbing on the sides of the saddle.
>
> I could either go back to a more upright position, or lower my
> seatpost - the latter, however, meant a loss of power I did not like
> at all :-(
>
> So, I presently have a narrow cheap saddle, which allows me to exert
> most power, but now I can't stay in an aero position for long, before
> I start to go numb :-(
>
> I'm now looking at alternatives, and while I'd prefer to spend less,
> saddles that have caught my attention are:
>
> 1) Selle Italia SLK.
> I've read the best, and the worst, numbness wyse, about this one. I'd
> expect this to be numbness proof, and more so once you started
> pedaling and spreading the sides apart which each pedal stroke. Yet,
> look what comments I found, from what I've always regarded as a
> reputable source:http://tinyurl.com/33mqtl
>
> 2) Specialized Avatar / Alias.
> Is there anything that makes of these 2 more numbness proof than the
> other??
> What's the "V-grove" mentioned in the marketing description of the
> Alias?
>
> The Selle San Marco Aspide has also caught my eye, but first I read it
> had the back end to high, and then that the Aspid has around 20
> diferent versions... which for me means I've got as much change of
> getting THE one I like, as of winning the lottery :p Clever from San
> Marco!
>
> Anyway, let the accounts about the reliefs of "down under" begin...
> *please*!
>
> PS - I'm open to suggestions other than those models Ilisted above.
> PS2 - I know some stores in the US have (very) good and cheap saddles
> - I live in Portugal, though.
>
> Ride your 2 wheels, but in order to ride them yet another day!
> bbb

In my experience with lots of customers, bike fit determines saddle
comfort way more than saddle design. Get a bike fit.