Polar S720i as a bikecomputer?

If your 710 stops and you restart it, you are simply creating an additional file. You will not lose data. You can maintain separate files or use a third party utility to combine them.<br /><br />Which third party utility will combine these? Any suggestions?

[quote author=DevilMan link=board=20;threadid=2711;start=0#msg23863 date=1041323684]<br />But in the excel sheet i also had a column for the average speed during my trips... Is there a way to add this information to the excercises in the PPP software, so i can create a report with this (like i had in the excel sheet)?<br />[/quote]<br />Work backwards from the average speed and time taken in your excel spreadsheet, and work out the distance travelled -- add that into the exercise profile. The software will then calculate average speed and minutes per kilometre for you, and can graph them.

Chris. re your velcro mount for the 710. Did you make it up yourself? ie remove the watch strap and replace it with velcro? Is it completely secure? I'd really hate to lose mine! :( I ride a road and a MTB and you can't use it permanently on your wrist on most single tracks. Polar just need to increase the battery save/switch off feature to about 10-15 minutes. If I take the bike to a tap to refill my bottle it will switch off in that short time! :mad:

Originally posted by DevilMan
Ronnie: you mentioned something about registering on the website, i've been looking on the website, but couldn't find anything about registering??

Mmmm - took a long time to respond to this one, sorry. I just received my update mail and it is from registering on www.polarpersonaltrainer.com. They say "The Polar Precision Performance Software 4 is now available. The first update version number is 4.00.021."

Hope you are enjoying your HRM.

I have a S710I and absolutely love it. Unfortuanately I recently upgraded my computer and have been unable to locate my PPP software and the only thing I can download from the Polar site is updates. Does anyone know where we can download a full copy of PPP 3 or 4?

TJ

Any feedback on the size of the Polar 720 HRM please. Is the monitor too big to wear as a normal watch? I have heard that it is huge.

Thanks,
Gibbo

Can't tell for sure, but looks about the same size as my 710i. I get the occassional joke about how big the HRM is but after wearing it for awhile you forget about it.

Not sure if you have a laptop but if you do you might not need the IR interface as most laptops have IR built in. I have one that I can get rid of.

Thanks for this thread.

I haven't purchased the 720i yet but I am wondering if I can access the data or export it out of the software into excel for example??

In otherwords can I get to the data or is it stuck in the software? Anyone put their data reports etc up on the web?? Can I cut and paste the data or open it into another program??? Does it show the data list of the 120 points etc or just the graph? Everyone says there is only 5 reports. What if I want to put the data in a different software and generate my own reports???

Thanks in advance.

Gibbo,

The S7xx watches are pretty big -- the screens are made a lot bigger so that they can be read more easily on the bike. Its size is somewhat similar to a large luxury sports/yachting watch (TAG-Heuer 6000, Omega Seamaster, etc.)

mtn goat,

Yes, in the software there is a 'spreadsheet view' which shows the data as a table of values. You can copy the raw data out of here and into Excel.

This is one of the exercise data view options -- you're getting confused with the user-built summary reports which let you summarise exercises. In later versions of the PPP software (the updates are all free), you can specify you want more than 5 .. I forget the total number you can specify, I think it's 15 or something.

Thanks Rek,

I picked up a s710i two weeks ago and have trained with it about 15 times (running, rowing and riding).

I have to say that I am very impressed. All of my doubts about having difficulty navigating through a complicated menu structure, the size of the watch, RF interference, etc have been dispelled.

This is a really great piece of kit! It is functional and intuitive and I can't think of any criticism. If I find some problems, bugs or annoyances over time I will post them (so that no-ones thinks I am a Polar salesman, with my big thumbs up for their product)

Just waiting for the software upgrade to arrive and I will start downloading and viewing data on the PC.

Cheers to all,
Gibbo

I have been using Polar stuff for years and just used their tade-up program to get a S720i for about $230 direct from Polar. Just had to send them my old monitor.
Now I have some questions:
1. I have a Kestrel Talon and can't figure out how to mount the cadence trigger. The chain stay seems like a good place, but it seems to be too far from the bar mounted watch to work. Anybody have a better place?
2. Is there a way to measure Gradient %s? I saw a post where someone referenced doing this on a 710 with the PPP software, but I can't figure it out.
Thanks,
George

Originally posted by gagiii
1. I have a Kestrel Talon and can't figure out how to mount the cadence trigger. The chain stay seems like a good place, but it seems to be too far from the bar mounted watch to work. Anybody have a better place?[/b]
I had mine mounted on the downtube, pointing to the left crankarm (I mount the HRM on the left side of the handlebar.) That worked well, except at the time I had the sensor, I was using SPD pedals where tend to mash your foot into the pedal, and not clip .. and I mashed the cadence sensor right off the bike, lost forever :(

2. Is there a way to measure Gradient %s? I saw a post where someone referenced doing this on a 710 with the PPP software, but I can't figure it out.

When in the graph view, de-select the entire exercise by double-right-clicking the whitespace below the graph (the blue bar should disappear.) Then you can select the part of the graph you want the gradient of, by clicking and dragging in that whitespace. The gradient comes up in the bottom bit where all the exercise stats are displayed.

Rek,
Thanks, both suggestions worked perfectly. Had a great ride this morning with more info than ever and now I know how steep that hill is on the way home :)
I am really diggin' the S720i now!
George

What are the two buttons on the back of the s710/720i? :confused:
They appear to be the same type as the 'reset' button, which is between the up and down buttons on the right side of the watch, but are on the reverse of the watch, at the bottom, right next to each other.

Cheers,
Gibbo

Originally posted by Gibbo
What are the two buttons on the back of the s710/720i? :confused:
They appear to be the same type as the 'reset' button, which is between the up and down buttons on the right side of the watch, but are on the reverse of the watch, at the bottom, right next to each other.

Cheers,
Gibbo

They are connectors to the power measuring unit.

Cheers,
Kari